1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Newbie here

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by twfsa, May 29, 2010.

1. May 29, 2010 at 4:59 AM
    twfsa

twfsa [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    Bought a 04 TDR 50k on the clock, just wondering where problem areas are for body rust, seen where frame rust was an issue on some models in certain areas, I live in Nebr and we use salt on the street. This truck was a Kansas vehicle, the underside looks pretty rust free, the bottoms of the doors are rust free tailgate was clean.On other trucks I have owned I used to pull the tail lights out 2 times a year and hose out that area that was above the rear wheel openings, where dirt collected.

I bought the trk from Carmax its a one owner its had some use, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to change all the fluids, gear box's, ATF, coolant and sparkplugs. Its kind of a maintance thing I've always been concerned with, I do all the maintance on my bike and wifes car the only thing I am a little leary of is removing the spark plugs, all of my other vehicles had plug wires, and not individual coils, don't want to break anything. Once I get the title I may try and contact the previous owner to see what kind of service it has had.

Drove back to Omaha from KC, 70 mph A/C and cruise on 186 miles 9.1 gals 20.4 mpg hope I do well in the city.

Checked in town no freeway driving mpg 16.79 MPG, better than I thought I would do

2. May 29, 2010 at 5:12 AM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS RAT Products

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    2016 Sierra Denali
    My old Tacoma rusted above the wheel wells. But it was 2wd so it didn't have fender flares. A good thing to do would be to drop the fender liner and prep and paint extra well inside for protection.
    Spark plugs are very easy to replace. Won't break anything.

3. May 29, 2010 at 5:46 AM
    dhurley

dhurley Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab TRD SR5 V6
    TRD, Snugtop Super-Sport, bedliner, receiver hitch, alarm mod, deck plate mod, AFE Pro-Dry S, Saddleman camo seat covers, TW decal, grey wire mod w/switch, DRL, LED cupholder mod, Dynomax Super Turbo, aux back-up lights, Devil Horns by Andres, "blue plug" mod for 2LO, shorty antenna, Pro Comp fog & driving lights, receiver shackle, 15% tint front windows, stainless nerf bars, Ultra Gauge, diff breather mod
    First off, welcome to TW! The spark plugs aren't that bad, I just did mine last night.

4. May 30, 2010 at 7:12 AM
    twfsa

twfsa [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    I got underneath the truck, and looked under the hood and inside the door openings and it looks like to me there is acess to get a garden hose in all those areas and rinse out the panels, I seen where the trans has a drain plug, I just may drain the fluid and not pull the pan, still debating that. I am sure I will get tons of usefull information on this forum, glad to be here.

To Top