1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Newbie looking for advice on which Tacoma to get.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Crep, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Jun 6, 2019 at 1:27 AM
    Sebz13

Sebz13 appy polly loggies

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Maui Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    03 Reg Cab, 99 3 Link SC ext cab.
    a dropped one and a high one
  2. Jun 6, 2019 at 1:28 AM
    Sebz13

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Maui Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Try to find out how many miles are on the supercharger and if it has been rebuilt also would be good to know.

3. Jun 6, 2019 at 1:28 AM
    Crep

Crep [OP] Active Member

Member:
    6L refers to an inline 6 engine. More moving part means more that can go wrong if not probably taken care of. Though I guess the diffrence between the 2 engines when it comes to reliability are negligible.

4. Jun 6, 2019 at 1:30 AM
    Sebz13

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Maui Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    @1997tacomav6 has like more than half a million miles on his v6, and he is charged.

I also think the vast majority of the people in the high miles thread have v6's.

5. Jun 6, 2019 at 1:36 AM
    Crep

Crep [OP] Active Member

Member:
    That's because the 4 cylinder is rare. They kept making cars bigger and needed more power. I own an 89 with the 22re and it has been very good to me we only paid 500 for the car but the body is so beat up. And it has 239,000 miles. I was hoping to find a 4 cylinder for better fuel economy.

I guess I am having a hard time seeing why the red one is over priced but the long beach one is not. It is more stock the long beach one it costs less it doesnt have a super charger which does put more strain on the engine and means I may have to fix the super charger down the line. If we take out the pink slip issue and the accident that was just the front fender that the old man reported to insurance what make the long beach vehicle a better buy then the red 95. I guess what I am asking is what am I missing?

6. Jun 6, 2019 at 1:42 AM
    Sebz13

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Maui Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Take no offense when I say this.

I did this when I was younger buying cars.

you are justifying the reasoning behind the pickup.

you said you have a truck right now that works but is beat up? Good. This is really good because it affords you the opportunity to take your time and be choosy as apposed to being pushed into a buy because you need a vehicle.

What I was implying is that the 1st gen engines for tacomas are reliable, I have both the 4cyl models, a 2wd and 4wd and they are both sturdy, and so is the v6.

Yes, the supercharger will have to be rebuilt eventually, and yes the timing belt will need to be done on the truck. But as with these tacomas these are maintenance things not fixing things.

The tacoma albeit old, is newer technology, I could be mistaken but I don't think that 95 pickup has ODBII which is a big deal to me personally.

I also as an owner of a single cab DD will tell you, it sucks not having an extra cab.

Judging also by the mods done by the long beach truck it seems to me he seems to know what he doing.

cruiserguy likes this.
  7. Jun 6, 2019 at 9:05 AM
    Crep

Crep [OP] Active Member

Member:
    It might actually have obd 2 it. The started putting them in some of the 95s starting in 94 I believe. They were early adopters. While I would prefer an extra cab I don't need it. But I understand where you are coming from because it would be a nice feature. Thanks for your comment I have alot to think about.

8. Jun 6, 2019 at 11:19 AM
    Crep

Crep [OP] Active Member

Member:
    https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/d/pomona-1999-toyota-tacoma/6901651984.html

What do you think about this one? The guy seems willing to come down on it.

Taco critter likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top