1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Newbie needs advice (I know, shocker right?)

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by qbert, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Mar 21, 2011 at 7:40 AM
    qbert

qbert [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport
    Velocity Off-Road 3" front billet coil spacer lift, rear leveling block, aFe Pro Dry S air filter, Weathertech all-weather rubber floor mats, partially debadged/blacked out Tacoma badges, 5% tint all the way around
    So I finally bought out my lease on my 08 Taco and want to start fixing her up and made a couple half thought through mods and wanted to know what direction I should go next. I have the stock Bilstein shocks that come on the 08 TRD Sport with a Velocity Off-Road 3" front billet coil spacer lift on the front and a rear leveling block along with some 32" Toyo Open Country A/T tires. Nothing else has been done to the suspension and I think I need to do more. So my question is, what would be the next logical step? After the fact, I've read that spacers/blocks are not the way to go and am thinking I need to make a change right there. Thoughts/opinions? Thanks in advance.

2. Mar 21, 2011 at 7:52 AM
    woody6047

woody6047 McGrubber

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Austin/ Waco Texas
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma 4x4 dc
    100%stock, except for the exhaust leak and custom windshield crack mod
    I just changed from a spacer and add a leaf.

I went with Icon extended travel Coilovers and a new leaf pack. The ride is great compared to the spacers and the rear leafs handle weight alot better.

3. Mar 21, 2011 at 11:21 AM
    wolfdog2314

wolfdog2314 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Brush Prairie
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Sport
    Eibach coils. 5100's all around. AAL. WickedFlow
    Are you satisfied with the quality of the ride? If you don't mind it, and don't do much off roading... Leave it.

If you'd like a much better ride and better off road performance...

Look into new coilovers such as icon, king, toytec, and SAW.

If you don't want to pay big bucks for high performance coilovers look into: Bilstsein 5100's, eibach coils, OME lifts.

In the back you can replace the block with an add a leaf.

4. Mar 21, 2011 at 9:00 PM
    qbert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport
    Velocity Off-Road 3" front billet coil spacer lift, rear leveling block, aFe Pro Dry S air filter, Weathertech all-weather rubber floor mats, partially debadged/blacked out Tacoma badges, 5% tint all the way around
    To be honest...the ride is a little lacking. I do anywhere from 2-4 week long camping trips a year where we do some off-roading and I'd like to do more with the right setup. While I don't have a problem putting out the money for a higher end product, I want to maximize my return on investment. It seems a lot of people think the more economical option (Bilstein 5100's, etc.) are the best value for your dollar, but really...how big is the difference from 5100's to coilovers like Icon, King, or Toytec? Is it a large enough difference to justify the added expense?

5. Mar 21, 2011 at 9:03 PM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    If you don't mind spending the $$$ you could go buy the Toyotec Old Man Emu 3" lift and a Dakar leaf pack and you're questions are always welcomed here. We all were noobs at one point... and im still one.

6. Mar 21, 2011 at 9:05 PM
    woody6047

woody6047 McGrubber

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Austin/ Waco Texas
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma 4x4 dc
    100%stock, except for the exhaust leak and custom windshield crack mod
    The great thing about the high end products like Icon, King, Fox, etc... is they are rebuildable. If they every start leaking take them off and send them off... or just do it yourself if you know how. I know its 75$ a shock if you send your icons back to them. I dont know about 5100's i have never had them, but i know my Icons are adjustable and really easy to do. I was amazed at the night and day difference between my Spacer and the Icons. Once again, i cant speak for 5100's because ive never had them or drivin in a truck that had them.

7. Apr 15, 2011 at 4:04 AM
    qbert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport
    Alright, so I think after doing quite a bit of research I've narrowed down the direction I want to go with my suspension: 1) RCD 4" lift and Deaver leaf pack OR 2) King Coilover RR, King Rear Shocks RR, Camburg/TC UCA. I have a brand new set of 32" Open Country A/T 255/75r17 tires that I'll be using so fit shouldn't be an issue with either until its time to get new ones. While I love the look of the larger lift with the RCD, the lower clearance really bothers me for some reason. Not to mention, the RCD comes with Bilstein shocks with no option for coilovers. So it seems my decision is do I go with the better performer with the King coilover setup or do I go with the RCD that I find more aestheticly pleasing? DECISIONS, DECISIONS!

8. Apr 15, 2011 at 8:22 AM
    wolfdog2314

wolfdog2314 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Brush Prairie
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Sport
    Eibach coils. 5100's all around. AAL. WickedFlow
    I'd go with the kings.

And I say that because I think the 32 inch tires would be too small on the RCD.

To Top