1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Newbie observation

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tblackj, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Jan 31, 2012 at 12:55 PM
    tblackj

tblackj [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Little Rock
    Vehicle:
    Looking
    I love the answers. Shows you guys really do care about this place. I'll hang around longer. So... Which lift, tires and wheels, and bumpers are the best?:p:D

2. Jan 31, 2012 at 12:56 PM
    NicNac22

NicNac22 D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:
    95 V6 4x4 ex cab SR5 5sp PICKUP!!!
    fun stuff coming soon! New battery, radiator and CV joints and axles. Added some Rancho RS5000 shocks.
    :boink:

:devil:

you should start a thread ;)

3. Jan 31, 2012 at 1:09 PM
    squad314

squad314 Thinks he's Steve McQueen

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Into the mystic....(foggy Saint John, NB)
    Vehicle:
    2018 TrD Sport Upgrade
    "Hello Kitty" steering wheel cover.

Do a search noob! Sheesh! :mad:

:p

4. Jan 31, 2012 at 1:10 PM
    NicNac22

NicNac22 D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:
    95 V6 4x4 ex cab SR5 5sp PICKUP!!!
    fun stuff coming soon! New battery, radiator and CV joints and axles. Added some Rancho RS5000 shocks.
    dont forget to start a poll about chrome or black :rolleyes:

5. Jan 31, 2012 at 1:12 PM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    I agree wholeheartedly that a lot of the negative views toward the Tacoma on here are because some of us had higher expectations for Toyota. My Tacoma is a decent enough truck, but it's nowhere near the quality of vehicle that my '95 Avalon was, which is what personally frustrates me. Bottom line, it's not the far and away best vehicle in its class nor is Toyota the absolute best manufacturer anymore, at least in my, and a lot of poeple I know personally's, mind.

It's still by and large a dependable, quality midsize truck. It's just far from perfect and far from "the absolute best", IMO. Am I still going to drive it 200,000 miles? Yes. And I'm relatively confident that it will get there without too much of a fuss. But it will nickel and dime me more than other vehicles I've owned, that's for sure.

Just my opinion, from my experiences with the truck. I also tend to try and not be a fanboy of any brand, so maybe I'm harsher on here towards the Tacoma than some other people.

6. Jan 31, 2012 at 1:26 PM
    Toy Yoda

Toy Yoda gotta make sure Youtube comes down to tape this

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB
    OME, ARB, Warn, Snugtop XV
    if you're looking for a good lift, search the SAS and LT threads ;)

7. Jan 31, 2012 at 1:28 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Well said.

This touches on what I was thinking, Sometimes post's are meant as jokes or being sarcastic but it's hard to tell since you cant tell emotion in text. But it helps when the smilies are used. ;)

Oh and welcome to the OP. :D

8. Jan 31, 2012 at 1:31 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    And was also gonna say, if you don't search for an answer and start a thread that has been covered, you get thrashed. If you do a search and find some info on what you're looking for and comment or question on an old thread, well, you still get thrashed. :rolleyes:

9. Jan 31, 2012 at 1:39 PM
    kev2lz

kev2lz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don't call me Bubba!
    Wylie, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner SR5 TX Edition
    Tailgate hoseclamps :P
    I bought my Tacoma (first Toyota) before stumbling across this site, and I don't regret it at all! Sure, there are some small things that annoy me about the truck, most are based on differences between my girlfriend's 2007 4Runner and the 2012 Tacoma, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. As for personalities in this forum...opinions are like assholes. Everybody has 'em!

BTW, welcome from a fellow noob! :)

10. Jan 31, 2012 at 2:36 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    Only complaint I have is the rear leafs are weak and squeaky, if you buy new there is a warranty covered TSB for this that gets you a heavier duty 4 leaf pack, also the engine developed a consistant tick/knock here not long ago, it only does it on certain occasions but still bothers me, I have the 2.7 four so idk if this is relavant for the 4.0 six. I love the composite bed and the handy little storage compartments! At first I was skeptical about the material of the bed, but now I love it, it is durable and I have dropped many heavy things on it already and it does not crack or show many scratches, I use my truck for hauling just about everything, it works hard around the house too with yard work, when I mow since our yard is so big, I use it for dumping the bag on my mower and for putting sticks and branches back there. Mine is a Access Cab but has a very spacious interior for me and a front passenger, my dad likes to sleep on long drives and can recline back, move the seat back a few inches and has all the leg room he needs. (he is 6ft tall btw) Sitting in the back really sucks, with one of the front seats moved forward a bit it is tolerable, but you could not keep me back there for much longer than a two hour drive.
    Depending on what model of Tacoma you get, you are probably more than likely to get stuck with the shitty Dunlop tires, they are a great highway tire, but forget anything else. I was driving down a gravel road and a tiny pebble got jammed between the treads and punctured it. I solved that problem with these tires.
    http://www.outlettire.com/images/WranglerSlntArm_bw.jpg
    It handles very well in snow and ice, when in 4x4 if you drive with a light foot, you wont need to worry much about sliding, I do plan to put some sand bags in my bed though because I can drive on snow and ice in 2WD no problem and would like to save gas and wear and tear on my t-case. Also I have dogs, and prior to my Tacoma, I drove a Ford Bronco, they are Labradors and love water so being able to take them out swimming at the creek and load them back up sopping wet is really nice! I am a dirt bike rider too, and with the gate down, my truck hauls two motorcycles with ease, I would like to get a bed extender though someday. Overall I would rate this truck a 4 star truck any day of the week!

11. Jan 31, 2012 at 3:08 PM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    Stang says a lot of what's on my mind.
    I'm not a brand worshiper, and on this forum, you get a lot of that.
    I had to buy a Tacoma to see what the big deal was about....and I'm underwhelmed.
    It's not a bad little car but it's far from the testosterone machine many members make it out to be.
    I have had to fix/re-engineer more things on this car than ANY of my previous non-Toyota products....and they are the issues commonly mentioned.
    Not to overlook that Toyota charges a premium price for an average product.
    People tend to get very emotionally invested in their Toyotas....and Lexus, for that matter....it's like an identity for them.....kind of sad, really.

12. Jan 31, 2012 at 4:12 PM
    Fractured

Fractured FPS-a-holic

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    NOR*Cal
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB 4x4
    TRD wheels, TRD cat back exhaust, ScanGauge 2, Debadged, Avid sliders, UWS bed box w/automatic LED light, Led Interior/Reverse/Lic. Plate lights, Yellow Fogs, Flyzeye Light, Color matched grill, Rearview mirror relocate bracket, Power Sliding rear window, Plasti-dipped bumper/"T" emblem
    Anger and frustration fuel people a alot more than good experiences. Its easier just to go with it.

With that said, I love my truck.

13. Jan 31, 2012 at 5:05 PM
    ohohvette

ohohvette Why ask why?

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Orange County, FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner SR5 DC LB
    BORLA exhaust Sylvania ZLE xenon headlight bulbs Blue LED Inst. Mod FJ wheels
    I agree with the original post about all of the negativity on here. This is why I never reallly posted on here. One of the first things I noticed when I signed up was that if you did not have 4x4 then what you bought was a "mall crawler". No what I bought was a truck that suited my needs/wants, and I really did'nt want to hear all the flack about wasting my money on a mall crawler. I don't take my truck off road and would have wasted my money on something I would never use. I have tried to use the search option and gave up after endless searches and think I found what I was looking for only to find after the first few responses on the subject, someone was nice enough to high-jack the thread then 10 pages later, still nothing on the original subject. While there is a lot of information and great resources on here, due to the few people that want to command attention, I will remain a so called "troll".

14. Jan 31, 2012 at 5:14 PM
    Blueridge

Blueridge Well-Known Member

Member:
    Spruce Mica, great choice. My '12 is my 8th Toyota. Builds and technical help is why I come here primarily. You can feel the generation gap at times, but that's evident everywhere in life. Once you identify those guys, you just ignore them.

15. Jan 31, 2012 at 7:11 PM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    Welcome to the board OP. I hope that you're liking it here so far. Some people are a little rough around the edges. You'll get use to it. Yes! There is a lot of negativity on a lot of sites, including this one. Yeah! It's the internet so you take a lot of it with a grain of salt and let it roll off your shoulders. Some people like to troll and get threads off topic like this one, don't let it bug you. Don't let it discourage you. There is a lot of good information and people on this site.
    When it comes to your truck I would have done what you did. You did the right thing by getting off the road and not looking under your truck on the highway. I figure like others, "let the dealership deal with it". We're not mechanics, we're not going to know what's wrong. If we wanted to be mechanics, we would have became mechanics. There maybe some douches but there are some people who want to know what the problem with your truck was and if it got resolved.

16. Jan 31, 2012 at 7:46 PM
    matts11

matts11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN
    Good advice but wrong thread. Spend less money on drugs and more on mods and you wont have this mis posting problem anymore.

17. Feb 1, 2012 at 12:32 PM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    Taking your own advice, I see.....

18. Feb 2, 2012 at 5:38 AM
    kb1jop

kb1jop kb1jop

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Webster, MA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Magnetic Gray Metallic SR5 Double Cab
    Factory Towing Package OEM Bed Mat Hard Tonneau Tacoma All-Weather Floor Mats
    I was thinking of suggesting that the 2nd Gen Forum be further refined into the following categories. :)

Legitimate Questions
    Serious Modification Write-Ups
    Serious Polls
    Recomendations & Proposals
    Babes
    Stupid Questions
    Unintelligible Gibberish
    "My panties are in a twist and I need to rant!"
    "Wow! Look at what I did and I want to collect as many accolades as possible."
    "Someone please flame the hell out of me because I am stupid!"
    For those who say "Dude", "stoked", "sick", or "epic" all the time.

19. Feb 2, 2012 at 5:42 AM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    I think on top of just desiring more out of our vehicles, (I mean who is REALLY satisfied for how it comes from the dealer?) this is just the general nature of the internet. Most of the time people come to the internet forums to figure out an issue or get a question answered so everything seems more on the negative side. And people hate noobs who post without browsing around for an answer first.

Plus sometimes people give replies that come off rude or smartass-like, but they did not intend it to seem that way. Ahhh ambiguous sarcasm of the internet.

Either way it is just how the internet it. Lots of negativity, lots of hateful comments, and lots of dumb observations. Now on my observations I have not seen too much negativity on here as far as actual defects in Tacomas. Maybe some leaf spring talk and whatnot but generally speaking, problems WILL occur with EVERY vehicle, and a lot of other vehicles have more problematic issues than Tacomas, which is still a generally solid truck.

Ignore the negativity and seek the best knowledge.

20. Feb 2, 2012 at 7:48 AM
    thatguy0o0

thatguy0o0 trunk monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rapid City SD
    Vehicle:
    White '13 TRD Sport.
    If it makes a difference I am rather new to the Taco and Toyota in general and I have nothing but GREAT things to say about my Yota! Even when I know I am wrong I will argue that the Tacoma is the best mid sized truck in the world. I used to roll with fords and things like that but man I look forward to getting in my truck every single day and just driving. It doesn't matter where I go I just enjoy driving and looking good in my Toyota Tacoma! So regardless of what others might think I love my truck and that is all that matters because I am the only one paying for it.

Products Discussed in

To Top