1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

newbie suspension questions...

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by islandyoda, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Jul 18, 2012 at 6:21 PM
    islandyoda

islandyoda [OP] Member

Member:
    Victoria, BC
    Vehicle:
    2009 dclb TRD Sport 4x4
    I have a 09dbl cab lb trdsport with the rear tsb and I'm looking to get a small lift along with wheels and tires and a few other upgrades.
    There are so many options out there for lifts and so many experienced people on here...... I come for advice. Here are my questions...:eek:

My truck is a daily driver, mainly city+highway, and unfinished gravel roads. Trails to cool off beat camping spots, some old logging roads, wet, muddy/snowy seasonal conditions. Some light off road spots i've been to in friends trucks that would be nice to do one day maybe..

Will the ride quality be improved/better with coils (say eibach or an ome lift) than just 5100's all around with the fronts @ 1.75?

If I go with just 5100's rear+front@1.75 and no coils is it recommended to get new control arms? or only if I go with coils/more lift?

If I go with just the 5100's is it recommended to use a diff drop kit or anything to help angles? Assuming in all cases that if i use just the 5100's they are only set at 1.75.

Will new LR upper control arms improve ride quality or just help improve angles?

The spring rate is 620lb of the eibach coil, will that stiffen my ride up noticeably or just provide lift? or both?

Will a rear 1.5 aal stiffen up the ride or provide lift? or both?

I don't want to have so much lift that I wish I got 285's :eek: cause my 265's will look small compared to lift..

My original plan was to go with a complete lift package from toytec - anyone have experience with this kit?

Im going to go with a 265/75/16 or 265/70/17 or 275/70/17 duratrac or bfg a/t (considering 255/80/17 but limited tire options)in hopes to keep the mud flaps as the consistant gravel roads eat my friends tacoma paint up quick...

proposed 16" wheel procomp 7089 16x8 4.5in backspace
    http://www.procompusa.com/prodDetai...883&catID=11&subCat=210&ptID=100073&plID=3635

proposed 17" wheel the same procomp wheel in 17" or raceline 893 monsterblack wheel 17x9 5in backspace http://www.racelinewheels.com/p-550-893-monster-black.aspx

noone has either of these wheels where i live:)

LR upper control arm is a possiblity..

Should I stick with the suspension route im going with the complete kit? or be just getting the 5100's and save some money? or looking to make some bigger changes? ride quality is a big concern for me, some plastic cutting is fine if needed. (i have read of some minor cutting even with 265 depending on wheel/tire setup)

any answers, advice or input is appreciated!:)

2. Jul 18, 2012 at 6:52 PM
    greenrustic

greenrustic Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB 4x4 TRD SPORT
    Access LTD Tonneau Cover, Weather Tech Digital Fit Mats, Weather Tech Rain Guards, 35% Tint up Front, AFE Dry Power Intake Filter, Debadged, GrilleCraft, OME 884x, OME 9000 NitroChargers, Icon 3 Leaf Progressive AAL
  3. Jul 19, 2012 at 11:51 AM
    white toy taco

white toy taco 505 Member

Member:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    '06 OR and '02 OR (sold)
    yea i honestly cannot read that. im an engineer, we cant read. maybe if you were doing some calculus or differential equation stuff :cool:

anyway, i would just search around and read everything you can

4. Jul 19, 2012 at 2:43 PM
    greenrustic

greenrustic Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB 4x4 TRD SPORT
    Access LTD Tonneau Cover, Weather Tech Digital Fit Mats, Weather Tech Rain Guards, 35% Tint up Front, AFE Dry Power Intake Filter, Debadged, GrilleCraft, OME 884x, OME 9000 NitroChargers, Icon 3 Leaf Progressive AAL
    That's true for every engineer I work with. I'm always better off drawing a picture.

Products Discussed in

To Top