1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Newbie Tow Help

Discussion in 'Towing' started by PatentedFunk, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Oct 17, 2011 at 2:05 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
  2. Oct 17, 2011 at 6:29 PM
    sechsgang

sechsgang Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR 4WD 6spd
    Irak, it's actually pretty simple.
    You probably won't get a ticket for over the limit towing by itself, unless your rig is swerving left and right down the road.
    But: if you are involved in an accident because you could not stop your vehicle, you'll get a ticket for wreckless driving. And if the damage is high enough, and/or personal injury is involved, it will be very easy for a good lawyer to show gross negligence in court if you were significantly over the tow vehicles limits. And that could ruin the rest of your life.

Do whatever you want, though, but stay out of my way, please. :)

3. Oct 18, 2011 at 6:04 AM
    lrak

lrak Well-Known Member

Member:
    You might. Towing a trailer that weighs more than the paperwork for your truck has nothing to do with that though. Crashing underweight could result in the same ticket. Like driving any other trip, be careful and lucky so you don't crash.

Again this has nothing to do with towing or not towing or having a trailer that weighs more or less than the magic number on the paperwork. This is why you have lots of insurance.

Luckily I have a 2008 with the tow package so I am "safe" to "crash into people" up to the 6500. Its not one of those wimpy 2011 models that are only "safe" up to 6300lbs or one without the tow accessories that is only "safe" to "crash" with 3500lbs.

However I have the same curb weight, tires, axles, brakes, and steering as those other models, and towing more than the number on the paperwork isn't against the law, so I dare to question why I am "safe" and the others aren't.

4. Oct 18, 2011 at 6:51 AM
    sechsgang

sechsgang Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR 4WD 6spd

It all has to do a lot with towing more than the "magic number". That's exactly how a good lawyer will show just HOW negligent you behaved, even if you did not really cause the accident in the first place.

The rest makes sense (having the same stopping power in real life), but you better ask that question to Toyota. It is unfortunate that this is how it's rated, but that's how it is, and any good lawyer will use these numbers against you.
    BTW, I think 6,500 lbs is too much for my '06 Tacoma with the tow package. ;)

Products Discussed in

To Top