1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Newbie with a dead Tacoma

Discussion in 'New Members' started by yodagal, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Nov 28, 2015 at 5:32 PM
    yodagal

yodagal [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma 4x4
    It's my first time posting anything on anything...A few days ago I forgot my oil cap and drove about 20km without it. I checked the dipstick and it showed level was still fine but after replacing cap and doing another short drive I noticed the check oil light coming on (I don't have an oil pressure gauge) and could hear a very very faint rattle sound when I pushed on gas. Today I was driving it to the shop to get oil pressure checked when I started losing power, the engine started banging and she died. I'm having a hard time believing that I just blew my engine because I had no oil cap for 20 km. Could the oil pressure have gotten that low in that time and if it was a pressure issue, why didn't it build up after the cap was back on? I don't see any oil drops under my truck.

2. Nov 28, 2015 at 5:52 PM
    fxntime

fxntime Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma off road TRD and 2014 FJC
    Leaving the oil fill cap off had absolutely no bearing on your engine seizing up, especially if you had checked your oil level and it was fine. To lose enough oil to seize, your engine compartment would have been drenched in oil and there would be an absolute mess under it.

3. Nov 28, 2015 at 6:05 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    Total shot in the dark but would it be possible that the engine sucked in some air through the open oil cap/neck and it created a vapor lock in the engine? Not sure that's even possible, just throwing the idea out there.

Hope you get things sorted out! Don't give up on the truck just yet. Tacos are pretty tough.

4. Nov 28, 2015 at 6:14 PM
    yodagal

yodagal [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma 4x4
    Thanks for the comments, I'm grateful for any ideas. There was a fair bit of oil under the hood but didpstick showed level over half (and I topped it up.) I have the 3RZ 2.7 lt. engine. I feel like an ass for not parking it as soon as the light came on.

5. Nov 28, 2015 at 11:06 PM
    nickj604

nickj604 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    2019 RAM 1500
    To be announced
    Your oil pump is a typical gear pump.leaving your cap off would not cause it to loose pressure. it will puke oil out the hole making a mess, if ran long enough like this the engine would be starved of oil and your oil level would be so low you wouldn't have enough oil in your sump for the pump to draw from causing low pressure and then your oil pressure light should go off giving you lots of warning before you run your bearings dry..... So it sounds like you spun a connecting rod bearing which sucks because that means your bottom end is toast

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  6. Nov 28, 2015 at 11:24 PM
    kgarrett11

kgarrett11 Master Yoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    CA desert
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB
    :facepalm:Hope it dont turn out bad, good luck

7. Nov 29, 2015 at 8:06 AM
    ODNAREM

ODNAREM MEMBER Of The Church Of @ODNAREM

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Huntington Beach,CA.
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Prerunner
    TRD catback exhaust,FJ Cruiser trail team wheels,BFG All Terrain K02 tires,Grillcraft front grill,Pelfreybilt IFS/Mid skids,sliders,standard rear bumper,Total Chaos bed stiffeners.TRD Pro Bilstein front/rear suspension.
    Welcome and hope it all works out for you!

Products Discussed in

To Top