1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Newest MOD done-Upgraded Head Unit

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cntmdc, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Jul 8, 2009 at 6:54 AM
    cntmdc

cntmdc [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pablo
    Delray Beach,Fl
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 "Super White"
    Undercover Toneau cover, Billet Grill, bug deflector,Fog light Mod,Nerf bars,17" TRD Sport wheels, stainless mirror covers,LED Guage cluster "Blue",SS Front Skid Plate,Custom "SOCKMONKEY" SR5 Decals, OEM TRD SS exhaust tip,shorty antenna,Clarion DVD Head unit,Bilstein 5100's Front shocks,Toytec 2"AAL,Custom Racing Stripe hood,roof & tail gate
  2. Jul 8, 2009 at 6:56 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail
    sweet! lookin good

3. Jul 8, 2009 at 6:57 AM
    Chad

Chad Rand Paul 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 Access Cab TRD Sport
    Pioneer AVIC-X920BT Headunit -- BHLM -- Pioneer TS-A1685R 4-way Coax Speakers in Front -- Suntek CXP 40 Front Tint -- Access Vanish Roll-up Tonneau -- Wet Okole Seat Covers -- Fog Lights on Anytime -- PnL Powered Tailgate Lock -- DTRL "Stealth Mode" -- LED Footwell and Cup Holder Lights -- Map Lights ON with Dome Light -- Shorty Antenna -- AC Line Extension Mod -- 09+ Access Cab Rear Headrest Removal
    How much was this? And how difficult was it to install?

4. Jul 8, 2009 at 7:09 AM
    cntmdc

Member:
    First Name:
    Pablo
    Delray Beach,Fl
    Vehicle:
    Undercover Toneau cover, Billet Grill, bug deflector,Fog light Mod,Nerf bars,17" TRD Sport wheels, stainless mirror covers,LED Guage cluster "Blue",SS Front Skid Plate,Custom "SOCKMONKEY" SR5 Decals, OEM TRD SS exhaust tip,shorty antenna,Clarion DVD Head unit,Bilstein 5100's Front shocks,Toytec 2"AAL,Custom Racing Stripe hood,roof & tail gate
    Unit was a little over $300.00 and it was profesionally installed for under $200.00 with lockout switch, double din faceplate kit, sterring wheel control and labor. Not bad IMO.It looks and sounds great with no upgrades to speakers yet.

5. Jul 8, 2009 at 7:18 AM
    bajamoon

bajamoon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVE
    Whittier
    looks great, i have been looking but don't want to pay over 1000.

6. Jul 8, 2009 at 7:21 AM
    gouge44

gouge44 $DO WORK$

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    FloRiDa
    Vehicle:
    08 prerunner TRDsport DoubleCab
    Tinted windows, toytec ultimate 3inch lift- front c/o rear aal, 18" black rockstar rims, 275/70/18 toyo opencountry mt's, BLUE dome light, 6000k H4 HID bixenon, kenwood kvt-514 headunit,black badges, satoshi grill :] sold it and now have a wrangler....
    where did u get it done at? a custom shop or a place like bestbuy

7. Jul 8, 2009 at 8:46 AM
    cntmdc

Member:
    First Name:
    Pablo
    Delray Beach,Fl
    Vehicle:
    Local stereo /Tint shop.Where are you @ so.Fla.?

8. Jul 9, 2009 at 5:52 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    Looks sweet, and sounds like you got a decent deal.

9. Jul 9, 2009 at 6:13 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC V6 TRDsport
    5100's all around - fronts at 1.75", 265/70/17 Bridgestone Revo 2, HID headlights and fog lights, factory skid plate, ss exhaust tip, tube steps, Access roll-up tonneau cover, Redline hood struts, 6 D-rings, seat MagLite, LED dome, fumoto oil drain, DTRL, fog light anytime, Kenwood/Clarion speakers, Pop-N-Lock 5300, LED bed lights and a few other things...
    That's great they even hooked up your steering wheel controls. I would like to replace my HU but want to do it myself and want to retain the sw controls. That may be over my head though.

Did you replace your speakers as well? If not, how much different / better is the sound with the new HU? The stock speakers are pretty weak!

10. Jul 9, 2009 at 6:20 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC V6 TRDsport
    5100's all around - fronts at 1.75", 265/70/17 Bridgestone Revo 2, HID headlights and fog lights, factory skid plate, ss exhaust tip, tube steps, Access roll-up tonneau cover, Redline hood struts, 6 D-rings, seat MagLite, LED dome, fumoto oil drain, DTRL, fog light anytime, Kenwood/Clarion speakers, Pop-N-Lock 5300, LED bed lights and a few other things...
    Holy crap man...$200 for the original headunit! Do you really think you'll get that (have you seen them go for that in the past)?

That would make my decision to upgrade pretty easy.

11. Jul 9, 2009 at 6:39 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    I got $80 + shipping for my stock HU and it had the 6 disk changer......

12. Jul 9, 2009 at 11:31 AM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    I have installed my own I will make a tutorial if someone hasnt already and post it so others can c how easy it really is to install

13. Jul 9, 2009 at 11:33 AM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    300 bucks for a nav/dvd is a really good deal where did you get that?

14. Jul 9, 2009 at 11:44 AM
    cntmdc

Member:
    First Name:
    Pablo
    Delray Beach,Fl
    Vehicle:
    Veccster: When I called my dealer to inquire about the price for a replacement they quoted me $400.00 plus the brackets and hardware,The face plate they told me comes with the unit. If you had the JBL system it was over $700.00 etc. I went to Ebay to sell it and they only had single disk units for the 2005-2008 with the tiny key pad buttons or the outdated used ones with a black face for about $80.00 plus shipping give or take.This unit was used for 3-4 months (since 4/16/09) and I never even loaded the C/D driver with more than 1 disk (I hardly listen to C/D's) Hey conscidering what was out there at the time I think a couple hundred isn't much to ask for it.
    Now, I kept my SW control and it works great with this unit they used a Jack kit and configure/programed the radio to work with it.The speaker sound good with it the radio has an amplified signal which helps but they told me upgrade the speakers and I would get a more crisp sound from it.

15. Jul 9, 2009 at 11:49 AM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    does anyone know of a good/cheap steering wheel control module that will work with a jvc deck?

16. Jul 9, 2009 at 11:51 AM
    cntmdc

Member:
    First Name:
    Pablo
    Delray Beach,Fl
    Vehicle:
    Nadd: I searched around for a while and I wanted something other than Pioneer which has the most retail establishments/radio shops installs.They were quotingme for acomarible unit any where from $1300-$1600 with Nav.,I have a portable GPS so I wasn't sold on upgrading it at this time,I could add the Nav to it for $250 more or less. I saw the Clarion unit and I settled on this one which retails for $599 w/o the Ipod adapter, I found mine as a opened box new model with factory warranty for $325.00 plus the Ipod adapter for $10.00 shipping included and works great.Over allI'm very happy with this unit.Installation didn't seem too complicated but the SW control looked very difficult/confusing.

17. Jul 9, 2009 at 11:52 AM
    cntmdc

Member:
    First Name:
    Pablo
    Delray Beach,Fl
    Vehicle:
    Try the JVC website and find out what they recommend

18. Jul 9, 2009 at 11:54 AM
    TacoTycoon

TacoTycoon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Hayes, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport 4WD Indigo Ink
    Bilstein 5100 Coilovers, Diff Drop Kit, TSB AAL, 285/70/17 BFG A/T Tires, 17X8 Helo HE835 Wheels, Rear Bilstein 5100s, Dual Flowmaster 50 series, TRD CAI, TRD Front Seat Covers, Rear Suspension TSB, 35% Tint, Redline Hood Struts, MagLite Mod
    trucks lookin good pal!

19. Jul 9, 2009 at 11:56 AM
    cntmdc

Member:
    First Name:
    Pablo
    Delray Beach,Fl
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. I think I'm done the old lady says I give it more attention than her.:D

20. Jul 9, 2009 at 12:37 PM
    TacoTycoon

TacoTycoon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Hayes, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport 4WD Indigo Ink
    Bilstein 5100 Coilovers, Diff Drop Kit, TSB AAL, 285/70/17 BFG A/T Tires, 17X8 Helo HE835 Wheels, Rear Bilstein 5100s, Dual Flowmaster 50 series, TRD CAI, TRD Front Seat Covers, Rear Suspension TSB, 35% Tint, Redline Hood Struts, MagLite Mod
    Haha, I have heard that before. One time my girl asked if I had ever dreamed about her, and I responded,"No, but I have about my truck." Needless to say I was sleeping by myself that night. Oh and there is no such thing as being "done." :D

To Top