1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Newly purchased Tacoma - Recall Question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by freebird, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Jan 2, 2012 at 7:35 PM
    freebird

freebird [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Delaware
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 SR5
    Hi all. I'm new to the toyota world, but have done tons of work on Jeeps in the past. I recently purchased a 2003 Toyota Tacoma SR5 with the TRD offroad package. After noticing a decent amount of surface rust on my frame, I did the lookup. My truck was included in the recall, and it says on Toyota's website to contact a service department to schedule an inspection and rust treatment before the expiration on my owner's letter. However, since I just bought the truck, I have no owner's letter. Am i still able to get the recall taken care of? Thanks a bunch in advance!

2. Jan 2, 2012 at 7:54 PM
    FishinTaco

FishinTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D'Arcy
    Sudbury, ON
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4 5spd
    5100's all the way around, OME 880's and AAL, BF's 265/75R16. Switched beds from Stepside to Fleetside
    It will all depend. If the owner before you got it in to have it checked, it will likely be warrantied for the extended 15yrs from the date the truck was in service. If it wasn't brought it in for the check/coating you may be out of luck. May depend where you are located, but if Toyota hadn't checked the frame before October 31, 2011 that truck is not eligible for the extended 15yr frame warranty. Hopefully the previous owner got it in. If you call toyota with the vin, they will be able to tell you. Good luck.

3. Jan 2, 2012 at 8:30 PM
    sk8louisville

sk8louisville Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    louisville
    I just bought my first Tacoma as well last month. My buddy told me to call. 1st dealership in KY said nobody does the frame spray/recall on 04's and earlier. I called a 2nd dealership and they said 'sure bring it on down'. Turns out the previous owner had it sprayed in 07. There's still a lot of surface rust on mine, but I was told they actually spray the inside of the frame.

My other friend had his 00 TRD checked and it failed. He's the 3rd owner and Toyota is giving him 150% of book value. So we stripped all the goodies off it, now it's heading to the crusher.

tl;dr Call several dealerships

To Top