1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

News: Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Has Double Cab

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Agent475, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Nov 28, 2008 at 8:17 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 [OP] "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    Source: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/nov/28/toyota-tacoma-prerunner-has-a-double-cab/

Tim Spell MOTOR MATTERS
    Friday, November 28, 2008

Toyota creates a practical solution with its 2009 Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab for those needing a pickup with credentials to haul people and handle demanding off-pavement needs.

This two-wheel-drive midsize pickup, base priced at $23,500 for the short-bed model, comfortably transports five adults, provides V-6 grunt and is capable on rugged terrain.

While the PreRunner lacks 4x4 traction, it's built to cope with the rough stuff encountered by the average weekend warrior. Key advantages are the same 9.5-inch ground clearance and P245/75R-16 tires as its 4x4 counterpart. It encounters off-road objects with the same approach, departure and breakover angles as a 4x4 Double Cab.

Lessening the chances of undercarriage damage, the PreRunner is protected with standard front and engine skid plates.

Traction is enhanced with a standard Automatic Limited Slip Differential. The PreRunner's off-road prowess can be improved with a $2,620 TRD Off-road Extra Value Package, which among a long list of extras, includes an electronic locking rear differential, off-road-tuned suspension with Bilstein shocks and 16-inch alloy wheels with P265/70R-16 BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A tires, front tow hook and back-up camera. The locking rear differential helps when severe conditions are encountered such as deep mud or loose/rock-infested terrain.

The surprise is that, despite being built to trek on the rough stuff, the PreRunner's ride quality is good - making it a pleasant highway cruiser.
    Power is another part of the PreRunner's character, with the Double Cab's standard 4.0-liter V-6 engine. It's paired with a five-speed automatic transmission, gated to allow shifts from Drive to fourth gear and Low to second gear with horizontal movement of the shift lever.

This powertrain propels the 3,810-pound pickup with 236 horsepower and 266 lb.-ft. of torque. Estimated fuel economy city/highway miles per gallon is 17/21 and Toyota recommends its 21-gallon tank be filled with 91-octane gasoline. Bringing the PreRunner to a halt are larger 12.56-inch ventilated disc front brakes, compared to standard Tacoma 10.83-inch discs. Towing capacity is 3,500 pounds and the PreRunner's payload max is 1,540 pounds.

Experiencing the PreRunner's performance requires a roughly 22-inch step-up into the cab.

The driver and front passenger settle in cloth-covered buckets. They face a clean, stylish dashboard with a large center-positioned speedometer and easy-to-manipulate knobs and switches.

Passengers in the rear are seated on a 60/40-split-folding three-place bench. A 23-degree seatback recline contributes to rear-passenger comfort, and legroom ranges from good to cramped, depending of front-seat positioning.

A rear compartment load floor is created by flipping up cushions and folding seatbacks. Generally, headrests must be removed in order to make the seatbacks fold flush.

Longer cargo, which might be damaged by the elements, can be accommodated inside the cab by folding the front passenger seat backrest.

[​IMG] 2009 Tacoma Double Cab.

Smaller items can be tucked away in rear under-seat storage and be organized on movable bulkhead storage trays.

Along with performing in 4x4-like fashion the PreRunner looks the part. Along with the same wheels and height, it wears an argent-colored grille, and has black over-fenders, front/rear bumpers, door handles and mirrors.
    [​IMG] Power is part of the PreRunner's character, with the Double Cab's standard 4.0-liter V-6 engine.

The test-truck sports a 60.3-inch-long short bed, and a PreRunner with a 73.5-inch-long, long-bed is available for $24,000.

Standard is a fiber-reinforced Sheet-Molded Composite bed liner, rail caps, removable tailgate and Deck Rail System with four adjustable tie-down cleats.

Toyota's PreRunner Double Cab is an efficient cargo and people hauler, ready to romp - filled with gear - on off-road trails, or make weekend treks to the hardware store or nursery more convenient.

2. Nov 28, 2008 at 8:34 AM
    Rudbwoy7s

Rudbwoy7s Well-Known Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab 4x4 sr5
    3" Revtek suspension lift, 17" Black and silver American Eagle Alloy wheels, 285/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Flowmaster 40 series muffler, sockmonkey brake light cover, Maglight mod, Viper alarm, Smith & Wesson hitch receiver cover
    i thought they already made a prerunner dc?

3. Nov 28, 2008 at 8:37 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    WOW! I wonder WTF Im driveing around in? :confused: A PreRunner extra EXTRA cab?

:D

4. Nov 28, 2008 at 8:40 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 [OP] "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    No clue... It's out in the news on Google... Nov 28th 2008...

5. Nov 28, 2008 at 8:46 AM
    Burns

Burns Well-Known Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Truck is Sold
    That's pretty damn funny man.

6. Nov 28, 2008 at 9:11 AM
    Joe B

Joe B Well-Known Member

Member:
    I just saw a black DC PreRunner this morning.I don't even think it was an '09.

7. Nov 28, 2008 at 12:58 PM
    rjtoc2

rjtoc2 Burglar of Turds

Member:
    Dallas/Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab Prerunner SR5
    I wonder if it looks anything like mine?

Tacoma 001 sm.jpg

8. Nov 28, 2008 at 1:02 PM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    It doesn't look anything at all like mine!!! Way different color... :crazy:

9. Nov 28, 2008 at 1:05 PM
    petersharp

petersharp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
    Louisville, CO
    Vehicle:
    Ex DC LB Sport owner.
    Wow, I guess my 07 DC Prerunner must be a pre-production model? ;)

10. Nov 28, 2008 at 6:37 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    I think the term "No shit, Sherlock" would fit quite nicely here.

[quote="Stupid Washington Times Reporter]Toyota recommends its 21-gallon tank be filled with 91-octane gasoline.[/quote]I CAN'T WAIT for the next 'regular vs premium' thread...

11. Nov 28, 2008 at 7:42 PM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud There's a mod for that!

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Subaru WRX
    Bilsteins 5100's (Front & Rear), GrillCraft, Line-X'ed Skid Plate & Bumper Valence, Blacked out hood scoop, Avid Light Bar and much more.
    That's Washington for you! People there know not to buy a GM because they wont be around to honor their warranty. So some nucklehead discovered a Tacoma and decided to get his buddies together and write a story about it.

12. Nov 28, 2008 at 8:22 PM
    ilovemytaco

ilovemytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    ya got the special treatment :rolleyes: hahahahaha

To Top