1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Newspaper Publishes Names

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Teniente, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Jan 4, 2013 at 8:16 AM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    There's a big difference between "freedom of the press" or "freedom of speech" and "invasion of privacy." Do you really want a reporter sitting in your living room, reporting in the local newspaper everything you say or do? Some would certainly claim that's "freedom of speech" and "freedom of the press." Others, however, might suggest there has to be some line or barrier even those latter two cannot cross. At the least, I think this newspaper's actions are right on the very edge of that.

2. Jan 4, 2013 at 8:30 AM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    My living room is not public record, unlike the permit list published.

The first amendment has notable exceptions, as most of us are aware. Whether or not this instance falls under one of those exceptions is likely up for lively debate.

True journalism had been dead for a long time in this country (take Fox "News," for example), and I wouldn't entirely disagree that publishing this list was sensationalistic and yellow, perhaps with the intent to gain notoriety for the journal or to provoke public debate.

But the gun owners have the means to defend themselves, right? It's a bit ironic.

3. Jan 4, 2013 at 9:32 AM
    stewartx

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Of course, your living room not being public record is only because you (along with the courts and majority) say. There's nothing within the first amendment itself making an exception for your living room - or any other exception for that matter. We are the ones who decide where the barriers exist, and we don't have to stop at just the existing barriers. There is a debate about privacy in this country. I believe this discussion falls within that debate.

As for Fox News, just like every other news channel (CNN, NBC, etc), they are a news and commentary medium. While some might disagree with their commentary, criticism of their actual news content (broadcast on the hour, etc) is fairly rare. My complaint, with all the networks, is there's not enough news (and followup) reported.

Finally, on your last comment, gun owners clearly do have a means to defend themselves, but I don't want to - nor do I want a newspaper forcing me into that situation. To protect me and my family (that's what it's all about), I try to avoid trouble, with a gun as the very last resort. I certainly don't want some maniac breaking in, blasting away with a firearm because he knows (thanks to some newspaper) I might have a gun.

4. Jan 4, 2013 at 10:17 AM
    Bobert14

Bobert14 .

Member:
    Doesn't mean we want to have to defend ourselves. There is no irony in trying to avoid situations or inexcusably irresponsible "journalism" that could lead to a life or death situation.

5. Jan 4, 2013 at 10:18 AM
    Haslefre

Haslefre Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra
    Some flags and center console divider... lots of things on the wanted list.
    And what is funny is that no matter how liberal the papers in Oregon are (and they are HORRIBLE), they would NEVER pull something so stupid as this.

6. Jan 4, 2013 at 10:33 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Don't all Americans have guns ?

7. Jan 4, 2013 at 10:34 AM
    Bobert14

Bobert14 .

Member:
    God, do I know how bad they get. Hopefully they wouldn't try this stunt. I know a few years ago the sheriff's office for the county we live in called up every CCW license holder and told them he would never release that information for any sort of public publication.

8. Jan 4, 2013 at 10:37 AM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    Not if you live in California, Chicago, and New York. Where crime is at it's highest in the US.

9. Jan 4, 2013 at 11:50 AM
    Bobert14

Bobert14 .

Member:
  10. Jan 4, 2013 at 1:11 PM
    wmdpowell

wmdpowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Essex county NY
    Vehicle:
    23 trd OR DCSB 4x4 silver
    a cross on my rearview Circle mirror Scotch guard seats
    Many, not all.

11. Jan 4, 2013 at 2:50 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    The fundamental problem with society is that people have been retrained by the public school system to believe that the Constitution is there to protect them from other people and corporations, and that the rights granted by the Constitution are a GIFT of the government.

1A covers freedom of speech. By extension it covers freedom of the press, which prevents the government from taking action against a person or media source that publishes something derogatory about the government.
    1A does not permit media sources to publish personal information about citizens.

The framers knew that the government had the power of persuasion to enforce "don't say that", so they wrote the 1A.
    Of course, 1A is dead because the modern government simply claims that the item in question is protected by reason of national security.

12. Jan 4, 2013 at 2:52 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Huh?

Had they not been lost in a tragic boating accident, I would have four rifles and 7 or 8 handguns.

13. Jan 4, 2013 at 4:12 PM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    K and?...

California has to be one of the worst states in the US to be a firearm owner. (Next to Illinois of course)

14. Jan 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Hit enter a couple times

15. Jan 4, 2013 at 4:26 PM
    Kolunatic

Kolunatic Broke ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 DC peerunner
    I was told today there were more gun sales last month than all of 2012. Where are these statistics found?

16. Jan 4, 2013 at 4:27 PM
    BostonBilly

BostonBilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Easton
    Vehicle:
    2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
    Check Mass

17. Jan 4, 2013 at 5:15 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    I love it when people who don't live in California lecture those who do on how bad California's gun laws are. The Brady's constantly rank California #1, and I have no clue what standard they are using because there are at least 5 other states that I would rank under California.

Hawaii is probably the worst after Illinois. You not only need to have a permit to buy a handgun, the specific purchase must be approved. You can't just get a permit and go buy any handgun you want.
    New York, New Jersey, and even Ohio have aspects that are more strict than California.

Yes, California has a 10 day waiting period (so do other states), but California does not require a permit to buy a handgun. You need a "handgun safety certificate" which is $25, is 50 questions that could be answered by any 5 year old, and is valid for 5 years.
    It is not required for ownership, only to buy or borrow.

It is not illegal in California to possess and use large-capacity magazines except in one specific configuration that falls under assault weapon laws.
    It is illegal to import or manufacture large capacity magazines, and it is illegal to give or sell one.

MOST counties in California are effectively shall-issue for CCW permits. The state is officially "may issue", but it is at the discretion of the 53 County Sheriffs. Most of those 53 will issue for "personal protection" without a problem. Might be 10 or 15 counties where it is difficult or impossible.

California has no restriction on the number of long guns that you may purchase.
    California restricts handgun purchases to 1 every 30 days, unless you hold an 03FFL and COE. I have both, and can buy as many handguns as I can afford. I also am exempt from the 10 day waiting period for C&R purchases.
    California still allows for "cash and carry" transfer of C&R long guns. It does require an FFL for all handgun transfers and modern long gun transfers.

California has mandatory handgun registration for new transfers. Guns owned prior to 1991 do not have to be registered unless or until they are transferred.
    California does not YET have long gun registration. That goes into effect next January, and again, existing guns will not have to be registered.

California has a handgun roster. There are also multiple exemption paths that may be used to get around the roster including intrafamilial transfer from out of state, private party transfer in-state, and dimensionally compliant single shot or single-action.

Where California guns laws stand out as being unreasonable is in the "assault weapon" laws, but even then, there are ways around it.
    I own three rifles built on an AR15 pattern receiver. All 3 are 100% legal in California. One looks identical to any other AR15, and even has a 14.5" barrel (pinned and welded Smith Vortex to avoid NFA issues).
    One is "featureless" in that it has a standard A1 buttstock and no pistol grip. The 3rd is .22lr. Rimfire long guns are exempt from California's AW laws.

We also have a ban on .50 cal rifles, but not .50 cal handguns, and .50 cal long guns that are not considered "rifles" by the BATFE (such as spade grips) are not illegal.

Our only ammunition restrictions are that tracers and incendiary rounds are illegal, and we can not have armor-piercing ammo in a handgun caliber.

[​IMG]

18. Jan 4, 2013 at 6:10 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
  19. Jan 4, 2013 at 11:32 PM
    stewartx

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    To be even more specific, the Constitution's Bill of Rights (first ten amendments) does not actually "grant" any rights.

Instead, the Bill of Rights was designed to protect a few of the "inalienable rights" we already had/have by restraining government from infringing on those rights ("..the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed," etc).

One can see similar preventive or protective wording in the 1st Amendment ("Congress shall make no law.."), the 4th Amendment ("shall not be violated"), and so on.

20. Jan 5, 2013 at 6:26 AM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    Rich & Stewart please stop confusing people with facts. I much I prefer those who shoot from the hip just because it "feels good" to them.

Products Discussed in

To Top