1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Nice Day For A Truck Chase in my '09 Tacoma!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Russellstiltskin, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Nov 23, 2011 at 4:31 PM
    Russellstiltskin

Russellstiltskin [OP] Oldie but a Goodie

Member:
    First Name:
    Russtifer
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport, DCSB
    Custom TRD Badged Grill, PowderCoated Black Steelies, with 285/75/16's. Studded Firestone Winter Force for Winter snow, Firestone Destination M/T for the summer mud, 2.75" Ready Lift Block kit in the front, and 2" AAL in the back, 5100 billies, TRD Cat-Back Exhaust, K&N CAI system under the hood, on a sesame seed bun.
    Ok, so I have decided that something about the all mighty Toyota Tacoma just puts other drivers in total fear when they hit one. As of a few hours ago, my truck was the innocent victim of a hit-and-run driver for the SECOND time in TWO months!!!!! Really?!? Yes. Really.
    A brief story for you all...

September 27th, 2011- While sitting at a red in bumper to bumper traffic on a busy 4-lane road at 5pm Rush
    Hour, on a nice SUNNY day, I feel a jolt, hear the smash and see a Chevy 1500 on my tailgate. "Wonderful", I think. Stepping outside expecting the worst, all it did was tilt my bumper by MAYBE 1 to 1 1/2 inches down, partially dis-assemble the black plastic molding below the licence plate. NOW, relieved it wasn't full on busted tail lights, tail gate (rear camera mind you), i turn to the driver and ask if he's OK. His response,
    "Did you get that F&*#%'s Licence plate!?!?" yup. Some Valley Hick with a jacked up older model Ford rocking what he said had to be 33's or 35's hit this chevy so hard that he pushed him in to me. Luckily it wasn't me he hit directly. Because I would have LOVED to chase his arse down
    , but unfortunately he got away, but not before another driver called in the plates to the cops. Ofcourse, came back he had no insurance, warrants, all that jazz. sooooo, i am out $250 on my deductible (due to what im told is mandated by the state of AK.. ummm, ok.)

Last week im talking to my fiance, and i say "toyota's body shop priced it at $200 to fix the damage. Honestly, its still winter, it really doesnt LOOK that noticable, so i will likely just buy the black plastic i need to re-attach to the bumper. Knowing my luck, i'll get hit again anyway."

Today, im at my desk, and i hear a "smash", and my dad outside (its our family's business) running and screaming for this guy to "Stop! Stop! Come back here!!", i run out, keys in my hand and dad says "He hit your truck! Get in! Follow him!!" As he is telling me this, i see some red Chevy (newer model) pickup tail spin over the concrete median (we have over a foot of snow on the ground) on the street by our shop, nearly hitting other cars. I get in.
    Now, i know this town like the back of my hand, and could see he was turning to go south on the nearest 4lane road, so i rally through an empty snowy lot (bumpy, thats for sure) that seperates my business and the 4 lane road. My dad in HIS pick up truck goes down a side street in chase as well. We catch up to him at a stop light, he hauls butt still trying to get away, turns through some neighborhoods, trying to ditch my dad in his 2 wheel truck, which he WAS having trouble with on the slick, snowy streets. Left turn! Right Turn! The guy is almost taking out mail boxes now because he is being so wreckless. Meanwhile, i have APD Dispatch on my blue tooth, allowing me to pursue with both hands on the wheel and shifter, giving the cops directions on where we are heading. The kid tries to get sneaky by pulling in to a steep driveway, where we eventually cornered him in to. Before I could even get out of the truck, my dad was in this kid's face (he must be like 18) just yelling at this scared punk. Kid says"I have this brace on my foot (which he did have), i couldnt hit the brakes to stop! i couldnt stop!" We yelled back" You are SOOO full of s&*T! You could have stopped! your screwed now, cops are on the way! Just might as well man up and admit!". He comes over to me and says" i didnt realize i did damage? i hit your truck?" i said,"Um, yea you numb nuts! You think we just like chasing people around for no apparent reason!!? You gotta man up!" At this point, the kid is scared. haha Cops show up, find some weed in the truck. Oddly, they didn't arrest him, which is fine by me. Because everything was listed under his Mommy's name. (the truck, the insurance) He's now getting citations for the weed (must have been under the amount they would typically haul you to jail for), reckless driving, fleeing the scene of an accident. ALL he would have had to do was stop, and in all honesty, the damage is probably only around $1,000 or so (based on the amount of paint work i will need and re-straightening the bumper).

To be honest, I WISH he would have made a run for the freeway, because as dangerous as THAT would have been, it would have been fun. And after getting screwed over by the FIRST hit-and-runner, today felt like sweet sweet redemption! SO! Toyota will go BACK in to the shop to assess the damage and will be fixed. Im not too good at posting photos, but i will try. First will be damage. Other is where he drove over the concrete median in the street as he BLATENTLY ran away.

The End

photo (4).jpg
    photo (5)1.jpg

2. Nov 23, 2011 at 4:35 PM
    Johns Taco

Johns Taco I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 DSM Base SR5 Slug Taco
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    Wow, that's a pretty crazy story!

3. Nov 23, 2011 at 4:37 PM
    Russellstiltskin

Member:
    First Name:
    Russtifer
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport, DCSB
    Custom TRD Badged Grill, PowderCoated Black Steelies, with 285/75/16's. Studded Firestone Winter Force for Winter snow, Firestone Destination M/T for the summer mud, 2.75" Ready Lift Block kit in the front, and 2" AAL in the back, 5100 billies, TRD Cat-Back Exhaust, K&N CAI system under the hood, on a sesame seed bun.
    No kidding! The adrenaline was definitely pumping. Just felt good that i wasn't short changed again.

4. Nov 23, 2011 at 4:38 PM
    G scott04

G scott04 ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Mesa
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner
  5. Nov 23, 2011 at 4:39 PM
    Oat

Oat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2001 Prerunner
    Gibson Exhaust, Painted factory steel wheels, Chrome wheel caps, K&N Air intake, Tint, Regular Bilstein (yellow/blue) all around, Leveling spacer kit upfront, Partially de-badged, Westin Bullbar with skidplate, White, Double Cab Prerunner SR5
    Good shit right there man, sorry about the truck, but Hats off to you for chasing his punk ass down

6. Nov 23, 2011 at 4:42 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!

^^ yep :rolleyes:

7. Nov 23, 2011 at 4:46 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Glad the damage is minimal and no one was injured and you caught him. Were you ever able to get the license plate number to give to the dispatcher? I mean I would have done the same thing probably so not really criticizing but at the same time I'd be a little scared that with him driving that way that he could have hit someone else, especially with the road conditions as they were. Glad it all worked out though.

8. Nov 23, 2011 at 4:50 PM
    Davtopgun

Davtopgun Weeeee mod time!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    TacoAlaMode Custom grill, SCS Gunmetal F5's, Treadwright guard dogs, King extended travel coilovers w/800# springs, OME Dakars. LRUCA's. Allpro off-road plate rear bumper with high clearance hitch, steel breaded extended brake lines front and rear, SOS concepts bolt on rock sliders with top plate, Pelfreybuilt front plate bumper, rci skid plates, Airflow Snorkel, Tom Woods custom one piece drivesahft, Weathertech in channel rain guards, Bushwacker fender flares, custom cab height bedrack, 60" Hi-Lift jack w/Mount, Recon 10,500lb waterproof winch with synthetic line, rear bumper light pods, front bumper light pods and light bar.
    Awesome that you got him. Hope his parents take it out on his ass.

9. Nov 23, 2011 at 4:59 PM
    Russellstiltskin

Member:
    First Name:
    Russtifer
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport, DCSB
    Actually thats a HUGE part of why we chased. His tail side was completely covered with snow, so you couldn't see any license plate. Honestly, even after the OTHER hit and run driver where we were able to get a plate, the cops couldn't "prove" who was driving, so it was useless. I agree, my tire iron in the truck would have been no match for a gun, but you can best believe i was NOT about to be screwed over again. haha THanks guys

10. Nov 23, 2011 at 5:01 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Gotcha. Like I said, I likely would have done the same thing in the moment if I were in the same situation.

11. Nov 23, 2011 at 5:13 PM
    Russellstiltskin

Member:
    First Name:
    Russtifer
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport, DCSB

Yea, its one of those deals where you really aren't "thinking", just reacting. If it were to keep GOING, I Knew that i had police aware, and that eventually a cop would have joined, or take over i should say, the chase. At which case, id likely back off. But damn! Tonight im doing two things before my 4 days weekend, Drinking some beer, playing some hockey, and drinking some more beer! LOL

12. Nov 23, 2011 at 5:16 PM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Off Road DCSB
    Stock. Purchased 2/17/19. Cement!
    :smack: I'm sure you wish you could have done that to him. HAHA.

:yay: One for you! Good job. Redemption for other peoples failures is sometimes really nice. Hope it all works out! I should hope the mom calls you to apologize for her son's actions. I know I would. Just common courtesy.

13. Nov 23, 2011 at 5:27 PM
    deadhed61

deadhed61 :notsure:

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Vehicle:
    The Black Pearl
    A little lift and a little armor
    "I miss Ronald Reagan"..

You would say that. So, how did your war on drugs go? Seriously though, I don't think it had anything to do with weed, most people drive better high. this kid was just an idiot who made a stupid decision (probably not his first or last).

Glad to hear you were able to catch up to him. At least everything will get fixed be just like new!! Good job chasing him down without having to endanger others.

14. Nov 23, 2011 at 6:20 PM
    zul

zul Professional Goofball

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica DCSB SR5 4WD V6 AT
    HAVE: Bed mat, Tailgate Lock, Color-matched Grille, Weathertech Floor Liners, Avid Step Rails, RokBlokz mud flaps WANT: Rear Plate Bumper, Steel bed cage
    Wow crazy! I chased some kids through a neighborhood once after egging me on Halloween. They were on bikes and they were so scared one of them ploughed into a curb at full tilt when I was still a block away. He went head-over-ass and smashed his face into the sidewalk, and was up and hopping a fence in the blink of an eye. I kept on down the road to give the rest of the brats a scare... and to this day I still regret not stopping to grab that kid's bike as payment for the permanent damage the egg hit did to my paint. (Later in the evening I caught one of the kids and had the cops take him home to a not-so-happy mother. That was a little satisfaction.)

Good job OP! Glad to hear you caught the guilty party!

15. Nov 23, 2011 at 6:32 PM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    last time i did that i got a plate number and matched the vehicle to the stickers on the back glass, they told me i had to quit pursuit and take it up with the insurance company. unfortunately that guy had the same company as me and they said that his damage and my damage didnt match up because instead of hitting him in the door when he ran a stop sign i swerved and he tboned me....from now on im not swerving, i learned my lesson about how dishonest people in todays world are

Products Discussed in

To Top