1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Nice gift from my mother-in-law

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by PeteH, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Mar 9, 2011 at 9:32 AM
    PeteH

PeteH [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I was just given a Winchester model 1905 chambered in 35 WSL.
    This rifle belonged to her dad who died back in the late 1980's. The gun was put in a case and tucked in the back of a closet for 20+ years.
    Other than being very dirty, it is in pretty good shape for being 106 years old.
    The good:
    This is an early model of the 1905, # 23xxx so it was infact made in 1905.
    These rifles were chambered in either 32 WSL or 35 WSL so I got the larger of the two calibers. I have read that this rifle was considered by some to be the first auto laoding rifle available.
    Bluing is about 70-75%, stock is in good condition with a few dings and scratches.

The bad:
    It's chambered in 35 WSL which went obsolete in the 1940's. Original cartridges are highly collectable and will run about $4.50 per round.
    Buffalo Arms reproduces it so I was able to get 20 rounds for $52.00 but it's still too much money to shoot more than a few rounds
    It's missing the original 5 round magazine. I have read the the original mags are as hard to find as the original ammo, and if I'm lucky enough to find a mag, plan on spending about $100.

My plan is to have a gunsmith give it a look over and thorough cleaning to make sure it's safe to shoot then put about 5 rounds through it and keep the other 15 rounds for emergency use LOL

2. Mar 9, 2011 at 9:40 AM
    johnw

johnw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    orlando florida
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner v-6 4.0L 4 door
    well you asked for specs..... 06 trd sport speedway blue V-6 4.0 camburg lift spindles extended travel icons total chaos lowers allpro 4" leaf pack 17" xd hoss rims 305/65/17 mickey thompson baja atz Allpro hybrid bumper with 3 kragen HID lights color matched headlights grill craft grill AFE stage 3 CAI wicked flow muffler under cover bed cap inside i have..... wet okole real tree camo seat cover blue oznium dome light stealth sub box with 2 10" kicker comp subs kicker 400 watt amp weathertech floor mats
    That's awesome guns prob worth a lot of money

3. Mar 9, 2011 at 9:45 AM
    PeteH

PeteH [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:

I have seen them advertised for $400-500.
    I have seen a few auctions where they sold for between $200-300.
    Minus the original magazine the value about $200, but the family value is high

4. Mar 9, 2011 at 10:06 AM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    Nice score. :cool:

5. Mar 9, 2011 at 10:10 AM
    johnw

johnw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    orlando florida
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner v-6 4.0L 4 door
    well you asked for specs..... 06 trd sport speedway blue V-6 4.0 camburg lift spindles extended travel icons total chaos lowers allpro 4" leaf pack 17" xd hoss rims 305/65/17 mickey thompson baja atz Allpro hybrid bumper with 3 kragen HID lights color matched headlights grill craft grill AFE stage 3 CAI wicked flow muffler under cover bed cap inside i have..... wet okole real tree camo seat cover blue oznium dome light stealth sub box with 2 10" kicker comp subs kicker 400 watt amp weathertech floor mats
    Like my grampa always told me "can't beat free"

To Top