1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Night Taco's Build Thread

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by 03 NIGHT TACO, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Dec 30, 2016 at 5:08 PM
    03 NIGHT TACO

03 NIGHT TACO [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Eastern Washington
    Vehicle:
    3.4 5 speed TRD
    Kings/Dakars/ARB
    I also wrapped my steering wheel in bike handlebar tape - I can't decide if I like it or not yet, because it still needs some work... I like the thickness and feel of it, but I don't know if I like how it looks... Anyway, here it is:

DSCN4479.jpg

2. Dec 30, 2016 at 5:13 PM
    03 NIGHT TACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Eastern Washington
    Vehicle:
    3.4 5 speed TRD
    Kings/Dakars/ARB
    Alright guys, now we're up to the present! Sorry for such a huge amount of info/pictures... I hope you enjoy! Feel free to read as much/as little of what I have posted as you want, and please ask any questions you may have.

3. Dec 30, 2016 at 5:29 PM
    Lux

Lux @jamesgrouss

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2001 tacoma sr5 4x4
    OME 3" lift 881 coils, Dakar's 33" General Grabber AT2's TG low profile front bumper
    great looking truck man, the stepsides are odd to me but are unique and I think pretty rare, pretty cool. I was debating doing the same thing you did with the lights but ended up not wanting to tear into the bumper and just welded up some brackets that bolted to the frame (refer to pic). Im diggin the wheels and tires, Ive had the grabbers for a few months now, good tire, they just throw rocks like crazy (keep your mudflaps if you wanna prevent more rock chips lol). Ive got a bug shield too, I was considering taking it off but then I looked at how much they cost and just left it alone, I clean under it every time I wash it though so hopefully my paint isn't too bad. Truck is clean though man, Keep up the good work :thumbsup:
    IMG_4307.jpg

4. Dec 30, 2016 at 5:37 PM
    03 NIGHT TACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Eastern Washington
    Vehicle:
    3.4 5 speed TRD
    Kings/Dakars/ARB
    Thanks man! Your truck looks great! I like those brackets too... I really need to learn how to weld :cool:

I agree on the stepsides being odd - They've grown a lot on me since I've owned one haha, and I like that I've only seen one other stepside since I've owned my truck. The biggest drawback that I may run into is that rear bumpers for the stepside can look pretty weird, and only certain tube bumpers will fit correctly.

5. Dec 30, 2016 at 5:48 PM
    Lux

Lux @jamesgrouss

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2001 tacoma sr5 4x4
    OME 3" lift 881 coils, Dakar's 33" General Grabber AT2's TG low profile front bumper
    Thanks, $80 welder from harbor freight gets me by with little projects like that lol, and yea I could see finding bumpers being an issue, but I think once you get the right one it'll look pretty cool. I rarely see first gens at all around here, I've never seen a step side before besides on Tw but even then this is only the second step side I've seen on here lol, so they are pretty cool.

6. Dec 30, 2016 at 11:20 PM
    03 NIGHT TACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Eastern Washington
    Vehicle:
    3.4 5 speed TRD
    Kings/Dakars/ARB
    Thanks again! We have tons of 1st gens here in the PNW but it's nice to have the stepside to make mine different from the rest.

New bumpers are still years away, but I'll have to do my research and find one that looks good.

7. Dec 31, 2016 at 8:51 AM
    03 NIGHT TACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Eastern Washington
    Vehicle:
    3.4 5 speed TRD
    Kings/Dakars/ARB
    Detailed Plans for the Future:

-Replace windshield - I've got a 12" crack towards the bottom right now. It's a windshield from XYG and I hate it, it fogs up super easily even with defrost on full blast and doesn't unfog for what feels like forever. It's a common problem with this windshield apparently.

-Bedline fender flares - They're getting kinda beat up from rocks/other debris, so I think they'll look good and hold up better with bedliner. What are your thoughts on bedlined fender flares?

-New shocks/front springs:
    Front - Bilstein 5100's at 0" and OME 880 coils (will this be enough to level it? I'm afraid of getting the 881's and getting a bro lean)
    Rear - Not sure what shocks yet. Maybe some adjustable ones by Pro Comp.

-Raptor lights - I have some LED bolt lights from Oznium.com, but I just need to install them and wire them up. Might do it now, or might wait until the Spring. We'll see...

Products Discussed in

To Top