1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Nissan Frontier OWNER

Discussion in 'New Members' started by BenJammn5, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Feb 6, 2009 at 11:50 AM
    tacoholic

tacoholic Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Bay, CA
    lol

Totalling one car to get another...smart...but you could get hurt. ;)

2. Feb 6, 2009 at 12:32 PM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Welcome to TW!!
    My opinion get the Tacoma TRD offroad....:D

3. Feb 6, 2009 at 1:00 PM
    Bananahands

Bananahands Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Sport
    Hey delmarva, are you a controller? I just saw your liscense plate and assume so. I'm over at SoCal Tracon... actually at work right now. What facility are you at?

Khris

4. Feb 6, 2009 at 3:21 PM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Welcome to TW Benjamin. I would agree with my fellow TW bretheren............go with a Tacoma and you won't look back.

Regards,
    Benjamin:D

5. Feb 6, 2009 at 3:39 PM
    kasey200

kasey200 Well-Known Member

Member:
    south dakota
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Dboubl Cab Longbed
    3" toytec, 285 BFG AT's
    I have personally never drove a Frontier but I am in love with my tacoma. I have driven 3/4 ton diesel trucks for the past 8 years so I just love having a smaller vehical. My good friend just got rid of his 05 Frontier and replaced it with an 08 Tacoma and hasn't had one bit of regret.

6. Feb 6, 2009 at 4:08 PM
    silver07taco

silver07taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    COIL
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    13 Tundra RCSB 5.7 4x4,07 Tacoma AC 4.0 4x4
    2013 Tundra RCSB 5.7 4x4, 2007 Tacoma AC 4.0 4x4
    Welcome to TW!

7. Feb 8, 2009 at 12:41 AM
    BenJammn5

BenJammn5 [OP] RN

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD-Off Road PreRunner
    TRD cat-back with Spintech prostreet muffler, AFE Pro dry S intake, 16" SCS F-5, 3.5 BS, 305/70 GT Radial MT, King extended travel front/rear, 2" add-a-leaf, Maxtrack Spindles, Sway bar delete, DSM UCA, All Pro IFS skid, Cab mount chop, bed cab locks, Black badges, cali raised amber LED fogs, 6K FX-R Morimoto projectors with 55watt ballast, fog mod, cheap rear dust lamp from autozone, Hellas 500 behind grill, Color match Satoshi Grill, Hood scoop, rear bumper by BTF, color matched Glassworks bed caps, Wet Okole seat covers
    Thanks for all the replies gents. I drove a TRD off road 6spd Taco on friday (white) I did like it but after driving a frontier for 2 years I definitely know the major differences. The steering isn't nearly as sharp, though one doens't need super sharp steering when offroading, could throw you off, and uh... hit a boulder? I did like it but I miss the hand brake compared to that retarded foot brake. It doesn't ride as smooth (about 400 lbs lighter than the Front), and the brakes feel 'spongy' in comparison. I prefer the look of the Frontier, but I simply cannot argue the quality of the toyota. NOBODY, I mean, absolutely nobody that i've ever ran into said junk about the taco. Hell, even the guys at clubfrontier.org don't talk very much trash about the truck b/c of it's long rep. as being king of the midsize trucks.

I also drove a 4cyl taco that made me want to cry b/c it was so dang SLLLOOOOWW... My 4cyl Frontier w/ 32" tires would blow it's doors off, not kidding. When i drove the 6cylinder I felt like I was driving a formula 1 race car. It's about 500% faster than the 4banger, and eh... 350% faster than my 4banger Frontier (RIP!!!)

Tomorrow I'm going to look at Nissan one more time. By the end of tomorrow I will have a new truck; got work on monday so I need a ride. I'm leaning towards Toyota right now...
    I'll show you what I get regardless haha

8. Feb 8, 2009 at 12:44 AM
    BenJammn5

BenJammn5 [OP] RN

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    TRD cat-back with Spintech prostreet muffler, AFE Pro dry S intake, 16" SCS F-5, 3.5 BS, 305/70 GT Radial MT, King extended travel front/rear, 2" add-a-leaf, Maxtrack Spindles, Sway bar delete, DSM UCA, All Pro IFS skid, Cab mount chop, bed cab locks, Black badges, cali raised amber LED fogs, 6K FX-R Morimoto projectors with 55watt ballast, fog mod, cheap rear dust lamp from autozone, Hellas 500 behind grill, Color match Satoshi Grill, Hood scoop, rear bumper by BTF, color matched Glassworks bed caps, Wet Okole seat covers
    BTW, what kind of gearing and axle does the TRD Offroad have? I know the Frontier in comparison has a M226 (Dana44) 3.69:1
    Thanks guys. I'm REALLY excited right now... there is no better feeling than car shopping!!

9. Feb 8, 2009 at 12:48 AM
    BenJammn5

BenJammn5 [OP] RN

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    Believe me I didn't plan on it. My face got burned pretty good, all good though

10. Feb 8, 2009 at 3:30 AM
    ERdept

ERdept Well-Known Member

Member:
    Welcome.

I have the 08 TRD offroad Prerunner. I'm very happy with it. Added a 3 inch lift, tires, etc.

Extremely pleased.

Never had to use the locker. I"m off road maybe every 4 months. Just light stuff. Good to know it's there though.

Every day I drive the truck I am pleased.

11. Feb 8, 2009 at 12:47 PM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hope you get what your happy with.............sounds like a good crew over at clubfrontier........
    From one Benjamin to another, happy truck shopping, and I hope it ends up with a Taco in your driveway and ya get to come back and stay awhile..........:D

12. Feb 8, 2009 at 5:30 PM
    tacoholic

Member:
    East Bay, CA
    Ouch, from what???

While you're at it can you "off road" into a center divide in my car? I would do it but I'm too busy. I'll pay for whatever happens to you and say I was in it. No worries!
    lol jk, I wouldn't actually ask that...or would I???

13. Feb 8, 2009 at 5:43 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra

Toyota uses a variety of gear ratios in their trucks and a lot will depends on what model you get...but AFAIK theres plenty of options to upgrade to what you want

I wish i could give you more info...but all the gear codes online are for previous tacomas (pre-05)

I think they also use their own axle with either a 7.5 or 8 or 8.4 housing (dependent again on model)

14. Feb 8, 2009 at 8:13 PM
    BenJammn5

BenJammn5 [OP] RN

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    haha the airbag got us in the face which is what burned my face.

I BOUGHT A TACO TODAY. 2009 TRD OFF ROAD, 6speed V6, back up camera, locking diff, traction control, tow package w/ beefed up alternator and electrical outlet on bed of truck, 100,000 miles warranty. TRD catback exhaust (thrown in for 599) and KARR alarm getting installed later this week, all for 24,000. Seriously, that's what I paid. I'm completely excited... the retarded manuel says I shouldn't drive over 5mph w/ the differential locked. Is this really the case? Cause that sounds retarded. Would I brake something mechanically or is it just 'unsafe'??

I absolutely LOVE this truck. I'm totally satisfied w/ how it drives... couldn't be more happy. I believe I made the best choice today!!

15. Feb 8, 2009 at 8:16 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Engage the locker under 5mph, use it as fast as you want. I've ran up to 40MPH locked.

16. Feb 8, 2009 at 8:19 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    good to hear youre happy!

as the previous poster noted...its just 5mph or under to engage the locker...then as you get comfortable with how the truck performs locked...you can speed up

17. Feb 8, 2009 at 8:27 PM
    senor taco

senor taco ROLLIN ON RUST

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monterey Bay, Ca
    Vehicle:
    O7 Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    17in fj cruiser wheels satoshi grille with devil horns emblem Single in double out 50 series flowmaster with stainless tips Kenwod ddx512 double din touch screen DVD reciver with a single Rockford fosgate 12 in sub with an alpine amp tinted tail and third break light silverstar head and fog lights k&n drop in Billy 5100's on all 4 corners with a 2"AAL
    congrats

18. Feb 8, 2009 at 8:35 PM
    BenJammn5

BenJammn5 [OP] RN

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys. It also said that the ABS shuts out when the locker is engaged.... this truck just keeps getting better and better haha

Anybody know if you can fit 285 series tires on the 09 taco w/o a spacer or coil lift?

19. Feb 8, 2009 at 8:59 PM
    tacoholic

Member:
    East Bay, CA
    Ohhh, gotcha. I had a friend that hit a tree at 45 but he didn't even touch the airbag. This was in a 92 Honda Accord.

Damn, you can get deals like that!?!?!??! That's only $700-$800 more than I got this slow ass Mazda3 for!!! This makes me excited.
    Post up some pics ASAP!!!

20. Feb 8, 2009 at 9:00 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    i think you'll need to lift and swap UCA to fit a 285 tire

Products Discussed in

To Top