1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Nitori's OEM SR Foglight mod!

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Nitori, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Jul 18, 2020 at 12:43 PM
    caribe makaira

caribe makaira Well-Known Member

Member:
    Caribbean, Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD Offroad AutoTrans
    Hood Struts, My version Fogs always ON, Map & Overhead Light Mod,
    Green to Blue #26
    Red 1 not connected
    Red 2 to Green on the Cargo/Deck connector.
    Black to white with Black stripe on the Cargo/Deck connector.

Go here: Custom switch illumination harness
    Send PM to the OP there for T harness for the Cargo/Deck connector..no cutting/splicing OEM harness.

ExplorHer and bhanna8081 like this.
  2. Jul 18, 2020 at 12:53 PM
    bhanna8081

bhanna8081 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR 2.7 2WD
    Awesome thanks. Sent him a message.

davidstacoma likes this.
  3. Jul 18, 2020 at 2:39 PM
    davidstacoma

davidstacoma Friendly Curmudgeon

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR Access cab - Utility
    *OEM Mods: Intermittent wipers, Fogs, Keyless Entry, Lomax
    I took apart my Mictuning switch and sketched out the circuitry, I don't think your proposed wiring is going to work. The 12V logic signal from the ECU pin 26 to switch green wire won't be pulled low when the switch is pushed, because the switch contact will feed through a 4.7k ohm resistor then through the positive side of the top LED and try to power that up before going to ground. (I wouldn't want to use this to try to power an LED up anyway). Also by connecting the black wire of the switch to the white/black stripe wire of the cargo switch instead of the tan wire, you're putting the full 12 V from the cargo across another 4.7K resistor to the lower LED and its going to be very bright without using the tan wire so it can be dimmed with the dimmer switch (typically 4V delta between the cargo deck green and cargo deck tan is used to power the LED).
    See my post for how I wired my Mictuning switch:
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/nitoris-oem-sr-foglight-mod.451495/page-20#post-23529740
    I can upload a sketch of the Mictuning internal wiring if you like.

4. Jul 18, 2020 at 2:55 PM
    caribe makaira

Member:
    Caribbean, Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    POS switch. ($3.00 sold at x5)
    If you add a micro relay to be managed by the switch all would be fine, almost.
    That's why it should be a switch with independent illumination. But since it matches with the vehicle.
    Anyway, you are running the Fog ground through the illumination ground.
    Have you tested the fog circuit when dash illumination is at complete Off?

5. Jul 18, 2020 at 3:02 PM
    davidstacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Well as you know all of these aftermarket switches are expecting to power up a relay, not switch a logic circuit from high to low like the OEM mod does. Totally agree it would be great if all these switches used an independent contact for illumination, I have yet to find one that does and as you see in my post l linked to I modified the Mictuning DPDT switch circuitry to use a separate contact to power the top LED (also later decided to use a larger CH4X4 fog light switch instead, no modification to it so the top LED doesn't light but I don't care, the dash fog symbol comes on). I am not running the fog switch contact ground via the illumination ground, I am running it directly to ground (Red 1 to cargo connector white with black stripes wire which goes to ground), therefore no effect on fog switch operation by the cargo illumination wiring for the lower LED.
    I measured with my DMM between the cargo connector green and tan illumination pins, and at the brightest dash switch point got around 4Vdc, turned the other way it went very low but forget how low, probably near zero volts. I'm going to do a keyless entry mod for my SR soon, if i think of it I will measure again.
    Edit: just to clarify, the lower “Fog light” LED is wired independently of the switch contact. This LED is wired directly to the cargo/deck connector Illum+ (Green wire) and Illum - (tan wire) and that will make it dim with the dash dimmer switch whenever dash lights are on. The CH4X4 switch is wired the same way, in fact I just unplugged my Mictuning switch connector and plugged it into the CH4X4 switch I replaced it with.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  6. Jul 18, 2020 at 3:12 PM
    bhanna8081

bhanna8081 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR 2.7 2WD
    Not sure how I missed the cargo/deck plug wires being used in your post. Looks like I need to pick up som positaps.

davidstacoma[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jul 18, 2020 at 3:34 PM
    davidstacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Haven't used those yet, but have some 20-22 AWG positaps on hand I plan to use for my SR keyless entry mod, though I might need to pick up some 18 awg if the wires are too large. I plan to test them to see how well they work first. Also the cargo light harness caribe mentioned might be an option and I see you are checking on that.

8. Jul 18, 2020 at 3:37 PM
    caribe makaira

Member:
    Caribbean, Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    Carling makes a dual independent led switch. Just change the cover with one from CH4X4. It is a large format switch.

9. Jul 18, 2020 at 3:47 PM
    davidstacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Have a link to the one that would fit a tacoma? That might help some folks who are doing this SR OEM fog light mod, I googled but didn't find it.
    For me I really like the CH4X4 switch, and since its in the lower left side switch panel can't even see the LEDs anyway without leaning over, so will keep what I have.

10. Jul 18, 2020 at 7:31 PM
    davidstacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    NC
    Vehicle:
    MicTuning Switch diagram.jpg
    The above is a simplified diagram of the small Mictuing Fog light switch I originally installed (switch contacts are actually DPDT with the contacts wired in parallel) and the associated connector wire colors. This diagram is also representative function wise for the CH4X4 large form factor switch I replaced the Mictuning switch with, the wiring is the same. This is typical for some of the other Tacoma aftermarket switches I have looked at (although Air On Board version I looked into uses an electronic switch) except connector wire colors may vary.

The way the switches are designed, fused 12 power is normally connected to the Green wire, and Red 1 is wired to a relay coil and that relays contacts are wired (also with fused power) to turn on Fog Lights (or other devices). When the button is pushed, power will be sent to the relay, and at the same time 12V power will be applied to the top LED circuit to illuminate it. Red 2 and Black are connected to dash light power and will turn on the lower LED whenever the dash lights are turned on.

In the case of the SR OEM mod however, wiring the Green switch Wire to ECU pin 26 and the Red 1 switch wire to Ground, pressing the button will turn on the fog lights (when low beams or daytime driving lights are on), but the 12V sense logic is taken to ground, resulting in 0V to the top LED, so that LED will not illuminate. However the fog light symbol on the dashboard WILL light up, and thats what really matters. The lower LED "Fog Light" text will work as designed and dim with the dash light control if switch Red 2 is wired to the cargo connector Green wire (Illum +) and switch Black wire is wired to the cargo/deck connector Tan wire (Illum-). The voltage between the cargo/deck connector Green and Tan wires will vary between 0-4V as the dash light control knob (odometer reset button) is turned to dim/brighten the dash lights and the switch lower LED.
    The way the SR OEM mod works to turn on the fog lights is that pushing the switch takes pin 26 to ground, causing the logic to go from high to low (0V), this tells the ECU to send power to pick up the fog light relay that was installed (see Nitori's post 1). Below is a diagram showing that part of the circuit.
    Tacoma 3rd Gen Fog Light wiring diagram 1.jpg

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    bagleboy and bhanna8081 like this.
  11. Jul 21, 2020 at 11:34 AM
    bhanna8081

bhanna8081 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR 2.7 2WD
    Happy to say that minus the bezels for the bumper, wrong ones were sent, and the proper fog light switch, led light bar switch was sent twice, the new fog lights are installed and functional, dash indicator comes on perfectly. Bezels should be in tomorrow as well as the new switch. Harnesses are the exact same, just want the fog light switch to actually say fog lights.

davidstacoma likes this.
  12. Jul 21, 2020 at 11:38 AM
    davidstacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Excellent! Nice to have fog lights isn’t it, those blank covers make an SR look blind. And night driving the fogs give you a much wider light for turning corners. When you get your bezels she’ll look sharp!

bhanna8081[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Jul 21, 2020 at 12:11 PM
    bhanna8081

bhanna8081 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR 2.7 2WD
    They will. I’m pretty excited to see how the morimoto xb fogs look. When I added them on my tc last year I couldn’t believe I ever drove without them.

14. Jul 25, 2020 at 3:36 PM
    willconltd

willconltd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando, Florida
    So I took the mictuning large fog light switch and swapped the cornflower blue LEDs and resistors from the air onboard switch.

Turns out that the top LED on the air onboard is flipped vs the mictuning switch. So I had to test it out and re-solder it.

So now I have cornflower blue across the board and it sure looks pretty.

Waiting on the fuse tap-in to arrive to run the LEDs/relays off the cig lighter acc fuse.

The aux relay holder on my truck was empty except for the air pump, so I installed two relays for the front and back light bars and am waiting on the 4.8mm pins to arrive on monday for the two micro relays so I can add a garage door opener and some safety flashers.

davidstacoma likes this.
  15. Jul 25, 2020 at 3:46 PM
    willconltd

willconltd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando, Florida
    If anyone wants some mictuning blue LED switches let me know.

Garage Opener (momentary)
    Grill Light Bar
    Reverse Lights

I replaced them with the air-onboard after about a week so they still look new.

Asking $5 bucks each plus $3 shipping.

16. Aug 28, 2020 at 7:47 AM
    JC2020SR

JC2020SR New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    2020 Gray Tacoma SR 4x4 Automatic
    Fog lights, Int Wiper
    Yesterday I put in some Diode Dynamic fogs. They are a bit pricey. The bezels I received seem to be a soft plastic. The tabs basically do nothing to hold them in. So bad that I am afraid to loose them in the wind! I took long wire ties from top to bottom tabs from the inside. Easy, loops behind lights/brackets. Draw tight but not too tight. I am not sure what the wiggle to wear life will be. Looks better too with closer line up. Bonus, go ahead and draw up your loose wire harness.

Fishingeek603 and 907rx7 like this.
  17. Sep 9, 2020 at 11:46 AM
    Fishingeek603

Fishingeek603 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Hamphire
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Sport, Super White Access Cab 4x4
    Fox 2.0 front with res adjustable rears jba ucas icon rxt leaf pack.
    What do you mean by relay? I'm currently purchasing items I need to add fogs. I have the harness, lights, fog stalk and screws on order.

18. Sep 9, 2020 at 11:47 AM
    Fishingeek603

Member:
    New Hamphire
    Vehicle:
    Which bezel kit did you end up buying?

19. Sep 9, 2020 at 2:18 PM
    bhanna8081

bhanna8081 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR 2.7 2WD
    The relay in the engine bay fuse box.

20. Sep 10, 2020 at 5:06 AM
    Fishingeek603

Member:
    New Hamphire
    Vehicle:
    Yea idk why I paniced. Once I looked it up I felt stupid... thanks for the clarification though.

To Top