1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Nitto Ridge Grappler Review

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by double dee, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Apr 18, 2017 at 7:22 PM
    Dirtwolf

Dirtwolf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    I fricken love that front bumper. Very nice looking 4 runner!

mntnbomber and Watt maker like this.
  2. May 13, 2017 at 12:09 AM
    freedomriding

freedomriding FREEDOMEDIA

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '20 TRDOR w/KDSS
    Eibach 2.0, STT PROs, Summit Dakars, JBA
    Agreed 100% with the KO2 hydro planning & balancing issues.

Chipi3s likes this.
  3. May 23, 2017 at 11:38 PM
    scoobyx

scoobyx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sonoma County
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Off Road DCSB 4x4 Silver Sky
    Sub'd. Trying to decide between load range C duratracs vs ridge grappler. My truck sees 90% road miles like most of us. Stock for now, but it is going to be on a lot of forest roads, moderate 4x4, sand and snow. Not my daily and not too worried about mpg. Anyone have experience with both?

4. May 24, 2017 at 6:33 AM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    I havent tested the Ridge Grapplers yet in the white stuff. But I know for a fact the Duratracs do pretty good. I had them on my previous Tacoma and loved them up until they hit about 30k miles and then they lost there grip. Im hoping the Nitto's do well in snow. So far they are great in really wet conditions.
    Really you cant go wrong with either. I just prefer the Nitto's because they have more selection in sizes. And they had the size I was looking for (34x11.5")

RobP62 likes this.
  5. May 24, 2017 at 6:45 AM
    RBfastback

RBfastback It's Got Electrolytes

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    FL
    Vehicle:
    16 mgm TRD off road
    anyone look into the 285/75/17C that weighs 65.08 vs 285/75/17E that weighs 64.40

the E is less?
    i'm still assuming the C rides better.

but if the E has a thicker sidewall and has not added weight what tire would be better?

i'm stuck between the
    -ridge grappler in the 285/75 C or E
    -trail grappler in 285/75 or
    -STT PRO in 285/70, maybe even 295/70.

i DD mine on the road a lot but everyone that dad's the trail grappler of stt pro says it's great on the road.

Hookedup likes this.
  6. May 24, 2017 at 9:33 AM
    scoobyx

scoobyx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sonoma County
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Off Road DCSB 4x4 Silver Sky
    Thanks for the feedback. Based on price I will probably end up with the duratracs. Bummed I didnt pull the trigger when they were $168/tire for 265/75/16C on tirerack a couple weeks ago....

7. Jun 7, 2017 at 12:55 AM
    freedomriding

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '20 TRDOR w/KDSS
    That has to be a typo or something because how can a E rated tire in the exact same size way less than a C ?!

8. Jun 7, 2017 at 6:59 AM
    RBfastback

RBfastback It's Got Electrolytes

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    FL
    Vehicle:
    16 mgm TRD off road

no it's right, i after a few calls back an fourth they weighed them.

the E is lighter.

tec told me that when u see how it says ply ratings, that's just to measure the weight capacity it can hold.
    has nothing to do with actual ply.

he said every ridge grappler has the same amount of plys for the sidewall no matter what the rating is.

i said:
    how can it be stronger, hold more weight, be the same tread depth dimensions, use the same material for construction and still be a pound lighter or even equal??

all he said was "it's just the way it's constructed/built"

if anyone else has a better answer i'd love to hear it

9. Jun 7, 2017 at 9:18 PM
    RobP62

RobP62 NVR20LD

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Street, Md.
    Vehicle:
    TTC Member #0125
    I'm with you on the Duratrac review. Before I bought this 17' Taco I had them on my 14' 4Runner Trail and nothing I've ever tried on any other 4WD vehicle could provide the winter traction the Duratracs did. The 4R was my first SUV so maybe it was weight distribution or the shorter wheel base but it was unstoppable on snow covered roads. Unfortunately, like you, at about 30k miles they would break traction on wet roads (rain for hours, not that first 15 minute wet we all know to take it easy on) easier than anything I've ever had. I had 8mm of tread left too, or basically half. Noise was way up (headache loud hum) and a friend said they sounded like they were delaminating. What's really screwy is, the row of outter tread blocks, every other one, was wearing down faster than the others and centers. Craziest thing I've ever seen. I swore by those tires when I bought them though.

So before I decided to trade the 4R for my Sport, I was looking hard at the Ridge Grapplers. Still am. Lots of Jeep guys use and love them now. I was more interested in the qualities associated with a on-road tire I kept reading about. Quiet. Lower rolling resistance. Long life. Great traction in various weather situations. And, one of the best looking sidewalls I've seen in years. Actually, your choice of two different versions. It's still definitely at the top of my list but I have to wonder if the lack of sipes can actually provide the same snow traction the Duratracs did.

For me, I may never off road like most of you. As a matter of fact, unless it's an emergency or until it's paid for, my Inferno Sport will never be off road. Trails are not off limits though. For me, in Northern Harford County, I buy tires like these for superior winter traction to keep my wife and I safe on our 80 mile round trip commute. The temps can go from above freezing during the day with snow/slush on the ground to below freezing before I can get home and you have to make your way around stranded vehicles with inadequate tires. I'm 55 and have a lot if years of driving under my belt. I've led the daredevil life. As you get older that pucker factor gets worse. Knowing you are going to make it home alive becomes a priority.

There's still a lot of boy left in this old man however so like I said, the Ridge Grapplers are very appealing. The funny thing is, I am definitely loving the noiseless smooth ride and nearly 22 mpgs I'm getting compared to the opposite of the Duratracs on the 4R (OEM size, not oversized) with the OEM TRD Sport Toyo's that came on this Taco. Could it be I'm finally growing up? No!

So I'll be watching this thread evolve. I have untill winter to jump on the bandwagon. I was even wondering about the Pro Comp AT Sport. This tire looks to me like it is the Michelin Defender, LT/X or AT2 on steroids. Soooo many sipes but with more space between the tread blocks which would help in the slush. Of course my vanity wants the look of the Ridge Grapplers! Maybe instead if lifting I can lower the Sport or just upgrade the suspension to level it and go with a lower profile tire in a +1 configuration.

Anyway, thanks OP and all the other contributors for this thread, and if you made it this far, thanks for listening.
    Rob

LOL

10. Jun 8, 2017 at 10:41 AM
    freedomriding

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '20 TRDOR w/KDSS
    As it's said, "with age comes wisdom" and as much as I prefer the look of lift, 33s, etc... How much better MPG, ride quality, and less time & $$$ I'd spend just keeping our trucks stock.

RobP62[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Jun 8, 2017 at 2:48 PM
    RobP62

RobP62 NVR20LD

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Street, Md.
    Vehicle:
    TTC Member #0125
    Yea, and I mean, I am a hard core wheeler from way back. My first real rig was a 1980 Bronco with tires so big the Goodyear dealer couldn't even mount them. I had to take them to a place that did tractor trailer tires. I would wade out into streams and open the doors and let the water run through. That thing was a beast. Of course it only cost me a couple grand.

I really want to lift this 17' sport too because right now it sits just between high enough and low enough. If I use the OEM 5" tube steps then I am ducking down. If I step in without using them then I am sliding over the seat. Makes me wish I would have made them put the raptors on instead when I ordered it. Might have been a good middle ground.

I really do love the look of lifted trucks with oversized tires and so does the wife. I really do hate being a poser though and honestly will not off-road for real anymore, like I said.

High MPGs are nice, don't get me wrong but I only drive the truck in the winter when the weather is bad or for other truck chores. The rest of the time I drive my DD, which is a Lexus es300h (hybrid) and that gets 40 MPG. So I can make up for any loss with oversized tires and less MPGs on the truck for sure.

I was so excited though with my first tank in this Tacoma because this is unprecedented for me and is crazy! I literally let the DTE (distance to empty) get down to 12 miles and there were 390 miles on the clock.

high_mpg.jpg

Because everyone knows without a pic it didn't happen.

So yea, I mean, I haven't looked up the fuel tank capacity yet but this is nearly 22 MPGs! And I do not drive this like an old man. I have tested the engine plenty of times to make sure it will get me out into traffic on the highway. it definitely seems to have more pep than the 4R did. Might be the 6 speed.

So I am still very much interested in the Ridge Grapplers. But the Duratracs are strong contenders. I am still undecided. To me, and to my wife (as funny aas that sounds), the stock tires just look so small. Almost disproportioned. Why I think something in a +1 would be the sweet spot. And something either really mean looking, like the Grapplers, because it is a truck, with 4WD. Or something Road Truck looking because that's what I do with it.

Here's a pic of that Road Truck looking tire:

PCT_AT-Sport_2Angle.jpg

On the Pro Comp site these tires in a 265/70R17 (30.6") $159.99 (Pro Comp site), and has a load rating of 2679 lbs (so load range C I'm guessing) which they call Load Range XL ???

The best part is, you get a 60k mile non pro-rated replacement warr. and a 60 day try em' and like em' or return em' piece of mind sale.

Personally, I think these would would make great tires for any truck that doesn't really see any hard core off road use. And in rain, snow/ice conditions I bet these stick like glue due to all the sipes.

I ran Pro Comps before and they do last. Wear nice, low noise throughout the life of the tire. I just haven't had the chance to research these that much. But I will. Like I said, I have until the winter.

Rob

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  12. Jun 19, 2017 at 5:24 PM
    Ewadh

Ewadh Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Forest, Va
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma 4DR 4.0 TRD Sport
  13. Jun 19, 2017 at 6:45 PM
    RobP62

RobP62 NVR20LD

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Street, Md.
    Vehicle:
    TTC Member #0125
    Hey Ed,
    Thanks for posting. So, what are your thoughts? Give us some info on the specs, for both the tires and wheels. The setup looks new but what about mpg's? Any lift? I'de really like to know as much about everything as possible.
    Thanks,
    Rob

14. Jun 21, 2017 at 7:31 AM
    Ewadh

Ewadh Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Forest, Va
    Vehicle:
    Rob,
    This is a new set up. 17x8 wheels. 285/70R17 tires. Tires are 6 ply(load range C). I feel the mpg will drop because of the weight difference. I'm coming off Michelin LTX so I knew to expect a difference in ride. The RG's ride is as expected. Nice on the highway and a little rough on secondary and back roads. I have Bilstein 6112's on the 5th notch and 5160's. LR adjustable upper's. 1 1/2 toytec blocks in the rear

RobP62 likes this.
  15. Jun 21, 2017 at 7:49 AM
    RobP62

RobP62 NVR20LD

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Street, Md.
    Vehicle:
    TTC Member #0125
    Thanks @Ewadh! I'm an information junkie. So to pry even further, and just so I am 100% in understanding, you haven't done the cab mount cut (CMC) mod, or the Pinch Weld bend mod? That CMC is completely out of the question for me. The truck is just to new. The pinch weld mod can be hidden from the dealer.

But based on just a quick 5 minute search, it sounds like what you've done ran somewhere between $2k and $3k just for the lift? I'll assume another $2k - $3k for the tires and wheels. I must admit however, it does look Bad Arse! I'm just not sure I am ready to invest that much yet. I am really loving the comfort and high MPGs. I would be more inclined to just try to put the 265/70r17 Ridge Grapplers on the stock wheels for the first couple of winters to see how I like them and how things go. I hate to wimp out but I also hate being a poser or dropping that much money on a new truck when I could put it towards a couple much needed vacations in Cabo or somewhere else. I do like how your truck looks, and I especially like that you went with a black and silver wheel combo. Oh, I'll assume that is a 4.5" backspace wheel?

Thanks again for the information. I really appreciate it.
    Rob

16. Jun 21, 2017 at 8:52 AM
    Ewadh

Ewadh Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Forest, Va
    Vehicle:
    Yep...CMC was and is completely out of the question for me as well!! lol . My lift from headstrong offroad to the door was $1529.00. $300 labor to install and align. Wheels and tires $1660.00 turn key. My rims have 0 offset, not sure about BS. I have zero rub and did not have to cut or mod anything in the wheel wells. I know where your coming from on the $$$$ end of things. I played around with some coil spacers (leveling kit) when I started out and quickly realized I wanted the real deal. Its addictive....trust me!:D One piece of advice I'll give you is if you lift the front at all get the adjustable UCA's they are worth every penny!!

17. Jun 21, 2017 at 3:14 PM
    RobP62

RobP62 NVR20LD

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Street, Md.
    Vehicle:
    TTC Member #0125
    how'd you walk away with that tire and wheel setup for that cheap?! That's a fantastic price! I'm assuming the only thing you left out were the prices of the Upper Control Arms (UCA's)? How much were those? Still, you're way lower than I guessed. Maybe things are more money here on the east coast...... Now you have me rethinking everything.........

Ok, what about MPG's? Where were you before the entire changeover and where are you now? I would hate to not do this if I can pull it off for under $4k and only be losing 2 mpg's!

Rob

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  18. Jun 21, 2017 at 5:33 PM
    RobP62

RobP62 NVR20LD

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Street, Md.
    Vehicle:
    TTC Member #0125
    Hi @KelticAngel,
    Please share your setup. Lift? Fitment mods? Tire and wheel specs?
    Thanks,
    Rob

19. Jun 21, 2017 at 5:38 PM
    Ewadh

Ewadh Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Forest, Va
    Vehicle:
    Rob, I'm just south of you in central Virginia. I bought the wheels and tires local. Rims were $699 he let me have them for $600. Tires were $265. Ran them thru business tax exempt. Lugs mount and balance was included in that price. As far as lift I ordered from headstrong off road. They are west coast. Kit came coil overs, rears, and UCA's and I had them assemble prior to shipping. Shipping was free. Check out there Web site. If your unsure of anything call them and ask for Marie. She is top notch and knows her stuff. I did forget to mention the rear blocks from toytec were $100 but that's it.

RobP62[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Jun 21, 2017 at 5:43 PM
    MTNHABITOVERLAND

MTNHABITOVERLAND Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma Camper Build Instagram: @mountainhabit
    Vagabond Outdoors Camper
    Loving my NRG's for about a year now!:thumbsup:

IMG_9280.jpg

IMG_9337.jpg

Products Discussed in