1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

NJ B.S. Thread

Discussion in 'North East' started by JLink, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Oct 12, 2017 at 2:28 PM
    worseisyet2come

worseisyet2come Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma TRD Off-Road DCSB
    Cooper S/T MAXX 265/75/R16 | Bilstein 5100s @ 1.75" | Warn m8000-s | US Offroad Winch Bumper | ProMaxx 4" Step Bars | TRD Exhaust | 4th Leaf via Rear TSB | CompuStar Remote Start
    I agree with 4lo to get the hang of things - it always seems to be a difference maker in those "on the fence" moments when you feel like maybe you're about to dig in. But I always thought using it long-term (the whole length of the beach) is kinda putting extra (maybe unnecessary) stress on the trans and transfer case. As far as stop and go, I prefer 4hi. Not sure if just me, but getting close to a stop in 4lo really causes a hefty transmission jerk or two before finally coming to a full halt.

@Chux - curious, do you really find it helpful or necessary to air down into the 20's with your S/T Maxx's? My first trip or two on the beach I went with 18, then ~26 a few times, now I haven't gone lower than ~32-34... sometimes stay at 38 depending on the beach (Brigantine can be SOFT). If anything going from my Rugged Terrains to S/T Maxx almost seems like they dig down more, but still doesn't seem too bad. I'd never add risk unnecessarily, but I've just never felt much advantage going lots lower and I'm kinda lazy to spend all that time in air-down/air-up. If it got dicey I'd deflate in a second though.

2. Oct 12, 2017 at 2:37 PM
    worseisyet2come

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Cooper S/T MAXX 265/75/R16 | Bilstein 5100s @ 1.75" | Warn m8000-s | US Offroad Winch Bumper | ProMaxx 4" Step Bars | TRD Exhaust | 4th Leaf via Rear TSB | CompuStar Remote Start
    I'm sure there's plenty of other manufacturers that will serve just as fine. But there's definitely more to quality than just the aluminum grade.

Having worked with red loctite in other mechanical settings, I personally would never think it appropriate to use it in a wheel/spacer/lug application. I'm sure it's not the worst idea either, but I'm no expert. But I have read some other scientifically-backed explanations on why it's a bad idea as well - one here on TW that I can't seem to find at the moment. That said, to each their own. I've read some others saying they use it and haven't had problems... I can think of worse things to put on there... :D

3. Oct 12, 2017 at 2:47 PM
    Sub-Zero

Sub-Zero NOOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Frederick, CO
    Vehicle:
    '06 DCSB
    None
    Why not red?

4. Oct 12, 2017 at 3:14 PM
    The Hunter

The Hunter Sailing the high Puddle's

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Monroe NJ
    Vehicle:
    2011 Submarine
    Flux capacitor and bi-plane wings
    It is

5. Oct 12, 2017 at 3:14 PM
    The Hunter

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Monroe NJ
    Vehicle:
    2011 Submarine
    But might be sold tonight Ill let him know

6. Oct 12, 2017 at 3:22 PM
    HolyHandGrenade

HolyHandGrenade NOOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garage Most Likely
    Vehicle:
    DCFB (RIP)
    Some Stuff
    I wish I could find a more dark red thread locker to put on my spacer lugs.

7. Oct 12, 2017 at 3:24 PM
    worseisyet2come

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    It's meant for high-strength, semi-permanent "locking" of an item onto threads - not for routinely removed/reseated items. When torquing in the first place, the heat from torque/friction is actually what activates the loctite compound. It changes molecular structure. Whenever red is used and you're unthreading a nut (or whatever you're holding in place), the nut needs to have a fair amount of heat applied to it to break down the compound to: A) loosen the hold, B) ensure it can all be removed from the threads. It's argued that having to heat the lugs over and over (every 5k-6k miles, in the case of a vehicle) puts undue stress on the lug / bolt as well as the threads, which can cause failure over extended time.

However - even if that's heating is not causing significant damage - more often, people are not heating the lugs at all during removal. The excessive torque required to "break" the hold of the red loctite without heat (if it unthreads "easy" - bad news, you never used enough torque to have the red do anything useful anyway) causes uneven stress that will eventually damage the threads and/or the shape of the lug/bolt. This also leaves powdered red in the threads which - if not heated and wiped out completely - will also build up on the threads and cause damage when torquing the nut back on again. The thread damage here being not so much from the torque of the wrench turn, but the force of the excess compound being in the threads and having nowhere to go (forcing pressure on the threads).

HomerTaco likes this.
  8. Oct 12, 2017 at 3:28 PM
    Fifthwind

Fifthwind Master of None

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Vehicle:
    Scully
    Barcelona Red 09 DCOR- Icon 2.5" ECOs w/CDC - 14" 700lb, ICON 2.0 RR Ext rears, AP EXPO pack, Diff Wedge, Diff and Skid Drop, Discoverer S/T 255/85/16, Ride-Rite Bags w/ Daystars, ARB Bull/winch Bumper, Warn 8k, ARB CMK12, Budbuilt skids, BAMF bolt on sliders BAMF diff diaper, bedlights, hoodlights, BAMF CB, etc.
    IIRC Red was designed as a once and done, where the Blue allowed minimal reassembly cycles. FWIW the Permatex anti-seize is also a thread locker.

stairgod likes this.
  9. Oct 12, 2017 at 3:38 PM
    Wheelspinner

Wheelspinner Coco Customs

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    '13 4x4x4cyl
    Too bad spelling isn't one of your many qualifications:rolleyes:

Subway4X4 and V5ioV like this.
  10. Oct 12, 2017 at 3:42 PM
    The Hunter

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Monroe NJ
    Vehicle:
    2011 Submarine
    Whoops. I was doing stuff in the middle of writing that shit at Ant's... we dropped the IFS out of the 4runner last night!

11. Oct 12, 2017 at 3:48 PM
    Wheelspinner

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    '13 4x4x4cyl
    IMG_2276.jpg

We want news not history junior!!!

12. Oct 12, 2017 at 4:00 PM
    Subway4X4

Subway4X4 Shameless Copy Cat

Member:
    First Name:
    Lloyd
    NY/NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Speedway Blue DCSB OR TRD
    Everything TW members recommend
    Mine is maroon.

13. Oct 12, 2017 at 4:02 PM
    stairgod

stairgod NOOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Jo n
    PA/NJ
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Trail Limo
    Locked Boosted 35s
    As is proper torque

14. Oct 12, 2017 at 4:03 PM
    stairgod

stairgod NOOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Jo n
    PA/NJ
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Trail Limo
    Locked Boosted 35s
    You are a maroon.

15. Oct 12, 2017 at 4:05 PM
    Wheelspinner

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    '13 4x4x4cyl
    Torque schmorque. I cross thread everything then V it out with a grinder and lay a multi pass weld in there. Could be why it took so long to change my flat at aoaa :cookiemonster:

16. Oct 12, 2017 at 4:07 PM
    stairgod

stairgod NOOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Jo n
    PA/NJ
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Trail Limo
    Locked Boosted 35s
    Actually Loc-rite brand and most other thread locking compounds are anaerobic, meaning the chemicals react in the absence of oxygen. That reaction is what cures it, not the heat from the friction.
    And I agree with the sentiment of your post.

17. Oct 12, 2017 at 4:08 PM
    Subway4X4

Subway4X4 Shameless Copy Cat

Member:
    First Name:
    Lloyd
    NY/NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Speedway Blue DCSB OR TRD
    Everything TW members recommend
    I read somewhere that if you set torque on a fastener that has thread locker, you need to go 10% less. @MY50cal maybe?

stairgod[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Oct 12, 2017 at 4:09 PM
    stairgod

stairgod NOOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Jo n
    PA/NJ
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Trail Limo
    Locked Boosted 35s
    I don't remember the actual %. But wet torque can be significantly less than dry torque values.

MY50cal likes this.
  19. Oct 12, 2017 at 4:15 PM
    V5ioV

V5ioV My drinking team has a wheeling problem

Member:
    First Name:
    V5ioV
    Out n 'bout
    Vehicle:
    '13 Pewp Water Slut
    King 2.5 Rem Resi Ext Travel w/comp adj w/700# springs, TC Uni-Ball UCAs, ARB/OME Dakar Leaf Springs w/ King 2.5 Rem Resi w/comp adj and custm eyelets, Stealth Custom Series F-5 Wheels wrapped on: 285/75/16 Fierce Attitudes, BORA 2.25 wheel spacers, GOODRIDGE extended Brake lines, Triple-6" Double Row LED Light Bars behind lower grill, ATFL MOD, TRD Ball Type Shift Knob, Husky WeatherBeater Floor Liners, 60'' HiLift Xtreme, 4xInnovations Bolt-On Sliders w/Kickout, Spring Hanger Skid, Custom BlackPipe Fabs CMC and custom FYL Bed Rack, CVT Mt. Shasta RTT, Trasharoo, 4xInnovations HiLift Bedside Mounts, 4xInnovations Front Skid Plate, TOYWERX Ghost Raptor thin-lip Satoshi Grill, RedLine Hood Struts, 4xInnovations Transmission Skid and T-Case Skid Plates, Wheelers Rear SuperBumps Bump Stops, All-Pro Off Road U-Bolt Flip Kit, UltraGauge, ARB OBA, Pelfreybilt HC rear Bumper, Rotopax system (Single Mounting Plate and Bed Rail Mounting Plate both with LOX handles.
    That's interesting, because it's air/oxygen that triggers the drying process...no?

20. Oct 12, 2017 at 4:15 PM
    V5ioV

V5ioV My drinking team has a wheeling problem

Member:
    First Name:
    V5ioV
    Out n 'bout
    Vehicle:
    '13 Pewp Water Slut
    King 2.5 Rem Resi Ext Travel w/comp adj w/700# springs, TC Uni-Ball UCAs, ARB/OME Dakar Leaf Springs w/ King 2.5 Rem Resi w/comp adj and custm eyelets, Stealth Custom Series F-5 Wheels wrapped on: 285/75/16 Fierce Attitudes, BORA 2.25 wheel spacers, GOODRIDGE extended Brake lines, Triple-6" Double Row LED Light Bars behind lower grill, ATFL MOD, TRD Ball Type Shift Knob, Husky WeatherBeater Floor Liners, 60'' HiLift Xtreme, 4xInnovations Bolt-On Sliders w/Kickout, Spring Hanger Skid, Custom BlackPipe Fabs CMC and custom FYL Bed Rack, CVT Mt. Shasta RTT, Trasharoo, 4xInnovations HiLift Bedside Mounts, 4xInnovations Front Skid Plate, TOYWERX Ghost Raptor thin-lip Satoshi Grill, RedLine Hood Struts, 4xInnovations Transmission Skid and T-Case Skid Plates, Wheelers Rear SuperBumps Bump Stops, All-Pro Off Road U-Bolt Flip Kit, UltraGauge, ARB OBA, Pelfreybilt HC rear Bumper, Rotopax system (Single Mounting Plate and Bed Rail Mounting Plate both with LOX handles.
    Kinda like 1 part epoxy products

Products Discussed in

To Top