1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

No bass from new speakers

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by JBTuncc, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Dec 30, 2009 at 2:36 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Probably your best bet. A dedicated box will produce far better bass than anything you put in the doors and is probably the route you'll end up taking eventually anyway. Might as well do it proper the first time.

The bright side is that there are tons of options for the double cabs. :)

2. Dec 30, 2009 at 3:04 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Did you use the crossover? Double check that you've got the right input going to the speaker and the tweater.

Also, it's a 100 watt speaker (300 watt peak). Your headunit puts out 22 watts with 50 watt peak. My guess is it's probably just not enough power to drive them properly. I have the 6x9 in the front and 6.5 in the rear. I didn't get much better than stock performance until I added an amp.

3. Dec 30, 2009 at 3:35 PM
    YotaCraZ

YotaCraZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Super White TRD Sport
    TRD Catback, AFE Pro Dry S Drop in, RS3200 Plus, Westin Step/Bull Bars, Access LE Tonneau, Redline Hood Struts, tint, AMI stubby antenna, AVS Vent Shades, Sylvannia Silverstar headlight/foglight bulbs, TRD Seat Covers, Bed Mat, Pop-N-Lock, Highland mats
    X2 on adding an amp or two.

I am currently running the Polk MM6501 components in the front and the Polk MM651 speakers in the back. They are being driven by a Kenwood XRS-4, 4-channel amp hooked up to a Kenwood DNX-9140. (I have no sub/sub amp, yet...more on this in a minute) The speaker response for all speakers is matched at 93db @ 1W/1M w/40-25K freq response. Max handling is about 250Watts. They are very crisp, loud and efficient.

I wouldn't give up on your speakers so quickly. Your lack of bass can probably be attributed to the HU not putting out enough power.

Even with my deck, I am not completely happy with my bass response at the moment. The sound is fantastic for 90% of what I listen to but there are some types of music where bass notes start to fall off beyond 60-70Hz...the bass is there but it's not full or loud...sorta comes in as a dull thud. After the new year I will be adding a Kenwood XRS-1 amp and a JL Audio WS3 to fill in the low end.

If you've not already done so, look at adding an amp or two. I think you'll be much happier.

4. Dec 30, 2009 at 4:00 PM
    JBTuncc

JBTuncc [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    There's little to no bass at this point. I mean nothing. The unit I have is supposed to be the best kenwood makes that isn't a screen. I don't know what is going on but they get loud as hell just no bass.

Products Discussed in

To Top