1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

No heat

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas' started by beener427, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Aug 24, 2010 at 7:55 PM
    beener427

beener427 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5
    Lift, 33's
    Cool mornings lately, the temp knob has been on cool all summer, so this morning I tried to turn it to hot and it clicked with about a 1/4'' movement. Moved the temp control valve on the firewall manually to hot and the temp did not change to hot in the vents. The cable does move the temp control valve now, but there is still no heat in the vents. Just cold air always. Antifreeze level is full and always has been. Any suggestions or similar problems? Thank you .

2. Aug 24, 2010 at 11:11 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    the Pacific Northwest, Exploring
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    King ET Coilovers Camburg Uniball UCAs Alcan 8-Leaf Rear Spring Packs Fox 2.0 Resi Rear Shocks FrankenFab Rear Shock Relocate Trail Gear U-bolt Flip Toytec 1" Extended Shackle 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker OBA ARB Twin Comp 15x8 D Window Steelies 33" BFG KM2s Limited Edition Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch PIAA 510 SMR Fog Lights Lightforce 170s Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Whynter 65 qt. Fridge/Freezer CVT Mt Bachelor RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack GM 140 amp alternator Optima Yellow Top battery Magnaflow 18" Muffler Braided Steel Brake Lines K&N Drop-in air filter ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Uniden 520xl CB radio 3’ Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1” Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Do you have a temp gauge? Is the truck getting up to running temps?

3. Aug 25, 2010 at 4:09 AM
    beener427

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5
    Lift, 33's
    The temps are normal, not overheating and not staying cool. Temp control valve is working fine also.

4. Aug 25, 2010 at 4:15 AM
    Rtrn2taco

Rtrn2taco Go Vick ??? Go Birds !!!

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner (silver)
    I had a similiar problem on my 99'. There was a linkage (rod) that had worked itself off under the passenger side dash. It was a real easy fix, although I don't remember for sure what my symptoms where but I do beleive it was the same issue you are having.

5. Aug 25, 2010 at 9:42 AM
    beener427

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5
    Lift, 33's
    The linkage is working( if it's the obvious cable at the feet of the passenger ) but I did notice when checking the temp valve I had to drain some antifreeze out of the radiator. When draining, radiator fluid is cool versus the hoses above were still pretty hot. Only cooled down for about ten minutes after trip home. Starting to sound like the thermostat?

6. Aug 25, 2010 at 10:39 AM
    beener427

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5
    Lift, 33's
    After thinking more of the linkage, you were correct Rtrn2taco, the connection is broken or come loose somewhere along the cable above. Gotta get into the dash behind the glovebox to see what's up. Thank you both for your help and chiming in when needed.

7. Aug 25, 2010 at 10:51 AM
    Rtrn2taco

Rtrn2taco Go Vick ??? Go Birds !!!

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner (silver)
    glad I could help, good luck

To Top