1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

No more rattling ext cab rear trim

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ThunderOne, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Aug 28, 2016 at 3:04 PM
    ThunderOne

ThunderOne [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    finally had it with the back pieces of my trim rattling. I'm talking about the large plastic bits where the rear speakers are located.

I took them out of the truck and removed all of the plastic clips.
    Then I drilled a 5/16" hole through the back, exactly where the hole for the clips were (easy to pilot since the clips sit in a circular cradle).

I used an assortment of #14 stainless pan head Philips machine screws (2" long in 4 places along the upper half of the trim, and 1.5" long for the lower half, in 5 places... 9 total screws on each side) and used #14 plastic anchors (they are blue and cone shaped) where the screws didn't hold for extra bite.

You can get all of this at Ace hardware.

Needless to say, no more rattling since the trim is held down nice and tight now. Sure, not everyone's cup of tea and certainly not aesthetically pleasing, but I'm sure you can put little grey caps over it or paint the screw heads if you want.

Just an idea for those frustrated with cheap rattling plastic.

image.jpg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016

Products Discussed in

To Top