1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

No nintendo for my kids.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by bobwilson1977, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Apr 23, 2009 at 1:55 PM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    I don't even have kids, but just this past weekend I was out at a buddy's house. He has 3 kids and two of them are boys probably around 12-13 years old. Anyway, they're pretty good boys. They know how to weld and throw hay, which is a hell of a lot more than I can say for the bulk of the kids I see parents with today. Well... he bought them Nintendo DS, or whatever they're called- small handheld game systems. They were on those things the whole time I was there, and that was pretty much all day. Its like they turned into zombies.

Like I said- I don't have kids, but if I did, I'm pretty sure they'd hate me because there's no way I would get them game systems to spend the whole time on.

2. Apr 23, 2009 at 2:01 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    No, you SHOULD get them nitendos, but be a GOOD parent and teach them moderation. There is nothing wrong with playing it, just gotta teach them it is not the only thing to do with their time

3. Apr 23, 2009 at 2:02 PM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    I've seen kids like that. It think it says a lot more about the parents than the kids.

Complete opposite: I've babysat with some kids that have a Wii. I think I need parenting lessons from their parents... Both kids are active in multiple sports and are great all-around kids. They enjoy the Wii, but when I say, "it's time for bed," they literally put the remote down, turn off the Wii, and head upstairs.

I think there's room in kids lives for video games, but it MUST be a PART of their lives, not dominate them. Same for TV, Pizza, (insert potentially addictive and bad item here)

4. Apr 23, 2009 at 2:04 PM
    KMN-BLU

KMN-BLU less work/more play

Member:
    Destin, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
    I finally found something I agree with you on bob.

I hate all these damn gaming systems.

all part of dumbing down America in my opinion. Stands right up there with public education aand the stupid FCAT tests.

5. Apr 23, 2009 at 2:12 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    I'm 35 and when I was a kid the Atari was the thing to have, but I didn't go nuts with it...that being said, I don't have kids either(sorry mom) but my older brother has 2, I think it's an electronic pacifier of sorts just like every owning every DiZZ-Knee dvd to the point he cant go to the grocery store with out a dvd in the head rest mounted dvd for them to zone out on. Children grow up around computers and I-pods, so it's natural to want to have the newest and best thing. I wanted Star Wars toys. SO I guess it's similar. One difference was when I had Star Wars toys I would go "OUTSIDE" and create a Tatooine or Dagobah to play in. Hell I didn't even have a cell phone until a year ago, I tried to hold out but my brother had a free one through his business and it doesnt cost me a dime, but if it wasn't for that I would only have a land line. And for all you young kids out there, Stay off my Lawn.

6. Apr 23, 2009 at 2:19 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    We have 5 different consoles or gameing systems in our house. I think my son is far from a zombie, he is active in little league 4-5 nights a week and helps out aroud the house with chores or yard work. We also ride motorcycles on the weekends and that helps keep him going. I think having the games are fine, but just as in watching TV you just have to be the parent and moderate what or how often they do it. As long as we take an active role in parenting and not turn him loose on the Xbox or PS3 as a electronic babysitter I think we will be just fine. :)

7. Apr 23, 2009 at 2:24 PM
    311offroad

311offroad Stock Taco For Now

Member:
    Milledgeville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD OffRoad SR5 4x4 Short Bed Debadged
    20% tint, Debadged, Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT, Infinity component door speakers, MagLite mod
    x100

moderation is key with EVERYTHING in life.

8. Apr 23, 2009 at 2:26 PM
    NumNutz

NumNutz One of the original 7928

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 - Kings, TC, Dakars, broken stuff
    Lots.
    I never had one:(:(:( But I have a 4.2 GPA and All County lacrosse player so it's okay!

9. Apr 23, 2009 at 2:30 PM
    Rtrn2taco

Rtrn2taco Nostalgia...

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner (silver)
    The videos are allowed by the parents to become a bad thing. I can tell you in my experience with my son that if allowed in moderation kids can actually benefit bfrom video games.

My son is in first grade although we are very involved with his education, do you know how difficult it is to get the average kid to read (I'll speak for myself and tell you more then difficult). The problem is at that age they don't want to read anything that he don't have to, you see with the computer and some video games he is forced to read in order to play the games (there are excellent age appropriate games like this). Secondly I think it helps in his decision making processess i.e. risk and reward, decisions and consequences.

So as mentioned above with PROPER PARENTING there is room for video games in a healthy kids routine.

10. Apr 23, 2009 at 2:31 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    I have two sons, well they are adults now. One was and still is into the games and now plays the on line games and he is 25. My oldest son was not really interested in the games. He was into shooting, surfing working on cars and just building stuff, he is 27 now. We kept both involved in baseball, soccer and basketball. My 25 year old Josh rolled his passion for computers into a living, he is the IT manager for a huge automotive dealership here in So. Cal and does some web design on the side. My oldest Jeff still loves to shoot and fish, still loves building stuff and was a mechanic for Lexus prior to moving to Texas and becoming a school teacher. The kids today need to find a balance.

11. Apr 23, 2009 at 2:35 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    how bout we just blame it all on the Japanese for giving us video games. the only they didnt screw uo was making our trucks. hahaha

12. Apr 23, 2009 at 2:35 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    if you had kids, I'd buy them a Wii and let them play the godfather game. When you want to choke somebody, you simulate choking somebody.:eek:

13. Apr 23, 2009 at 2:37 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    :bananadance::bananadance::bananadance::bananadance::bananadance::bananadance::bananadance::bananadead:coooooooooooooooool

14. Apr 23, 2009 at 3:36 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah...I played pleanty of video games in grade/high school...I also used the internet/computer from the time I was about 10.

And I graduated with a 3.98 from high school as as Eagle Scout, went to a military academy, and graduated there with a 3.14. I learned how to take care of business when needed and how to enjoy my time off.

Everyone who has said moderation is key it right on. Plus it's another tool to use in discipline-If they enjoy it- you can take it away. It's all about teaching them the value of things and where the games lie in priorities.

15. Apr 23, 2009 at 3:48 PM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    When I was growing up, I admit that we had an Atari. But we had a pretty shitty TV set that the thing was plugged into and the graphics back then were basically little blocks that shot at each other. Can't say it kept me captivated for hours and hours. Besides- my Mom would come downstairs and actually turn off the TV and say: "Go outside and play!"

16. Apr 24, 2009 at 2:05 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    when i was younger i had the regular nintendo. we had a rule, i could play it 2 hours a day but only 1 hour consecutively. as a result i got to play video games but i spent the vast majority of my day's outside. if i have kids i plan to do something similar. but i agree, letting your kids play games till they drool is not helping them out at all

17. Apr 24, 2009 at 3:28 PM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    It will make them concentrate more anlong with better reflexes and focus

Products Discussed in

To Top