1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

No spark 1999 V-6

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Whitfield, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Mar 7, 2011 at 3:44 AM
    Whitfield

Whitfield [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD X-cab on 35's / 96 X-cab on 33's
    Bobbed Left front ~ Ok not really but I bought it crashed from the kids dad 4-CHEAP. Frame Swap and 04 Clip + 6" lift ~ Woo Hoo!!!
    Ok ~ I'm stumped. I've got a 1999 V-6 4wd TRD

I drove the truck into shop for auto body repair (Crunched Lft front)

Disconnected and removed battery.

Removed all components from driveres side inner fender (Emissions vacuum box / Fuse box and Left side engine room harness). I tied harness up across engine out of the way careful not to pull on it but secured it enoguh to be out of ht way of the saw / welder / inner fender.

I then cut inner drivers fender off of truck. Replaced / Welded in replacment inner fender. Reinstall all components / vacuum lines / wires / fuse box ect...

Engine will turn over but no fire to the plugs. Does not try to fire. I do have signal to the EFI relay on the left inner fender fuse box. I do have 12v power to the coils

I'm guessing it is a harness issue (either from the crash or the repair) and I'm missing power to an ECM circuit some where.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mar 7, 2011 at 3:54 AM
    Whitfield

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Bobbed Left front ~ Ok not really but I bought it crashed from the kids dad 4-CHEAP. Frame Swap and 04 Clip + 6" lift ~ Woo Hoo!!!
    I'm hoping someone with more wisdom then I might be able to give a few pointers and help me shave a step or two off. Harness pin out and ECM diagnostics are a PITA.

My next step is to begin ECM pin out diagnosis with the Toyota FSM

Can anyone tell me what changes I may run into between my 1999 V-6 and the 2000 manual I've found. I tried working thru with the 2001 manual last week and soon realized they are not the same.

Not my first rodeo ~ Been turning wrenches 20 yrs+ and I did a frame swap on same truck back in November. I'm still repairing damage from the same crash (Previous owner). The frame swap went smooth as butter ~ Drove in / drove out started up first turn of the key.

3. Mar 7, 2011 at 3:59 AM
    Whitfield

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Fuses under dash and drivers inner fender check out Ok.
    Ignition coils are getting power (Still have not determined coil trigger signal). Truck has been not running since late January ~ I've checked and rechecked my work 5x+ and everything I find is hooked up correctly. I took Feb off of (Not working on it) to think about it regroup and make a plan. The No spark / No Start was VERY discouraging.

Welder pulling a ground thru the ECM (Due to a bad ground lead placment) is always a fear. I always try to kep the ground lead right in the area I'm working with clean bright metal for contact. I'm hoping that a fried ECM is not the case but that is an easy mistake to make. In hind sight I wish I'd have unpluged the ECM ~ I was thinking removing the battery would be enough.

Anyone know the compatiability of the 99 V-6 ECM???
    I might can find another truck to test mine on.

4. Mar 7, 2011 at 4:28 AM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    i doubt the ecm is grounded to the frame...but im not sure
    good luck tho

5. Mar 14, 2011 at 7:02 AM
    Whitfield

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Cruise control plug was not snapped into the clip / holder.

Kicking myself for missing that. I must have missed snapping it in on the frame swap re-install...

I was focused on the work I had done on the drivers side with the lft inner fender. Turns out the CC plug was pushed in just far engouh to run the truck after the frame swap but shifting the body around working the front clip into place must have wiggled it loose.

6. Mar 14, 2011 at 7:19 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    No Truck..well, maybe
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

So are you saying that all is well now I assume ?? Just for reference to shorting out the onboard, it only takes 30 millivolts to fry a PC board, CPU, etc; Pretty sure you can't even feel 30 millivolts...;)

7. Mar 14, 2011 at 12:08 PM
    Whitfield

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Thanks ~ I understand how fragile they are. Glad mine is still up an running.

Yes, my no start issue is resolved. All is well ~ or at least I'm back to just crash repair stuff.

Now back to regularly scheduled OEM parts purchasing. Hood latch brace / ac condenser + line set + filter drier + expansion valve / Grille Embolem / Fender flare clips and other fun stuff.

Doing under car work / welding and exhaust / + removing wrung off studs ~ bolts. We never disconnected any batteries or made any other provisions prior to welding ~ ofcourse this was all up to 1997 when I stepped out of wrenching for a living. So that = 99% OBD I stuff.

I'll have to enquire if the proceedure has chnaged any but I'm guessing no..

To Top