1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

no start on 1997 4x4

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by NvrFollo97, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Jun 29, 2010 at 6:13 AM
    NvrFollo97

NvrFollo97 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sam
    sarasota, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 tacoma 4x4
    hello all, i am new to this forum and am posting up in the new members area as well as this.the Truck- 1997 2.7- 4x4 -regular cab.. the Problem- on cold start and even sometimes when left for an hour or so the truck will not start. power seems to be there but all u hear is what seems to be a click from the starter solenoid and then nothing. now i have thought through the fact that it could be the starter but it is not intermittent and the truck will eventually start.( starter going bad would fail by now if it was the problem). thought maybe it was the clutch switch, push the clutchless start but and still nothing. it seems to be a different gremlin. the click is what leads me away from any clutch switch fault, knowing that when the clutch switch isnt working there is literally nothing happening. any ideas ? could it infact be a power issue to the starter? truck also has a viper alarm.. could it be an immobilizer issue ? any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.. thanks guys !

2. Jun 29, 2010 at 8:00 AM
    03redtaco

03redtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Myrtle Beach SC/ Starke FL
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma Prerunner SR5 DC 3.4L
  3. Jun 29, 2010 at 9:53 AM
    NvrFollo97

Member:
    First Name:
    sam
    sarasota, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 tacoma 4x4
    i appreciate your help ! .. however my truck seems to get better when it runs for a while almost more of a cold start issue, hmmm. ii am trying to figure this out, because its not consistant it makes it hard to diag.. i will def look into the temp sensor but im not sure if that would have the same affect for my trucks condition, any other ideas ?

4. Jun 29, 2010 at 10:22 AM
    Sirlight

Sirlight 1337 h4x0r

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2004 PreRunner Xtra Cab
    STOCK
    perhaps the solenoid on the starter is sticking.

Can you explain in more detail ? Try to start it, you hear 1 click when you turn the key to the on position ? Is it a repetitive click ? does the engine try to turn over ? battery voltage is good ? Remove the key and try to start it again and it fires up ?

5. Jun 29, 2010 at 1:47 PM
    Firefighter160

Firefighter160 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Eastern VA
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB Offroad
    I had the same problem on my 98 Tacoma 2.7 and it ended up being the power cable that goes from the battery to the starter. It was corroded and frayed and would give enough of a voltage drop at times to only click the solenoid. Found this out after buying a new starter and getting the same click, luckily they took it back.....

6. Jun 29, 2010 at 10:00 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 Auto Trans With Lots of Mods King Extended Travel COs Camburg Uniball UCAs Alcan Custom 8-Leaf Rear Spring Packs Fox 2.0 Resi Rear Shocks FrankenFab Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren bumps Toytec 1" Extended Shackle 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor 15x8 D Window Steelies 33" BFG KM2s Limited Edition Relentless Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Rugged Ridge 3" LED Pods w/Amber covers Mini D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4500K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Whynter 65 qt. Fridge/Freezer CVT Mt Bachelor RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack GM 140 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnaflow 18" Muffler Braided Steel Brake Lines AFE Pro Dry S air filter ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Have you eliminated the possibility of it being a week battery? How old is it? Is it a non-spiral cell battery?

Does the voltage drop when you try to start the truck? Have a buddy read the voltage at the battery while you are trying to start it. Does it drop below 13 volts? Below 12?

7. Jun 30, 2010 at 4:37 PM
    NvrFollo97

Member:
    First Name:
    sam
    sarasota, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 tacoma 4x4
    i will run the power probe at first start up to see where my voltage is at. i def think that the frayed cable is a possibilty. starter solenoid will click. i can hear it. usual it will be a single click then nothing. sometimes you try one more time, others u try a bunch. eventually it catches and supplies enough power for the starter to turn the motor. i will check both the battery now and the power cable to the starter. thank you for your help guys. i will let u know what i find out .. Thanks !

To Top