1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

No tow package, so is the hook up difficult to tow?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by olive, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Aug 4, 2016 at 11:20 AM
    olive

olive [OP] Member

Member:
    When I got my V6 2012 new I opted not to get the tow package. Now I'd like to set it up for towing a trailer. I found the taped up wire harness with the plug and play under the dash for the Tekonsha brake controller I got. So I'm good there, but do I need the missing Denso trailer light relay, 30A fuses and some rear end wiring ?
    Does Toyota usually wire the back at the factory to plug in a 7 round or do I need to buy the appropriate trailer wires? Anyone else with a non-tow package go through this? Thanks for any help.

2. Jan 5, 2017 at 9:46 PM
    KingJohn808

KingJohn808 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 4 Door Pre-Runner
    All Stock...for now

Aloha, did you ever get it figured out? I have a 2012 too that didn't come with a trailer hitch or plug. Want to start towing, but not sure how to wire it to my truck.

3. Jan 25, 2017 at 11:41 PM
    Scott SD

Scott SD Member

Member:
    I installed the tow package on my 2013. You need to buy the factory harness, which is only a 4 pin connector. I modified it to add the trailer brakes and wired the Tekonsha controller in the center console. The factory tow package comes with the hitch, wiring, a trans cooler, larger battery, and larger alternator. Most people only install the hitch and wiring. For my set-up I also installed the factory trans cooler. Not an easy install.

4. Feb 15, 2017 at 5:51 PM
    airfish

airfish Well-Known Member

Member:
    If looking for factory hitch for 2nd gen, I have one in northern VA.

Products Discussed in

To Top