1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Noise coming from front end at slow speeds

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by austinmtb, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Oct 16, 2017 at 10:04 PM
    austinmtb

austinmtb [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Southern Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2004 Toyota Tacoma DC TRD 4x4
    ADS Coilovers & Shocks, All Pro Standard Leafs, TRD Supercharger, Haltech Standalone, URD 2.2'' pulley, Method NV wheels, Copper Discoverer STT Pro tires, ECGS 4:56 gears, custom steel tube bumper, custom steel skid plate,
    About a month ago my truck started making a clicking / popping noise from the front end. The noise can only be heard at very slow speeds (1-10 mph). The truck has brand new upper ball joints, lower ball joints, tie rods, and differentials.

All I can think of are wheel bearings or CV's, but haven't had time to investigate yet.

Has anyone had an issue similar to this? What was the fix?

calebfry99 likes this.
  2. Oct 17, 2017 at 6:35 AM
    Dalandser

Dalandser ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
    When driving straight / turning etc? Do some figure 8's or loops in each direction and see if the noise gets louder or goes away in either direction. Cheap go pro knock off might be your best friend. Mount that sucker in a few different spots and see if you can pinpoint the noise.

3. Oct 17, 2017 at 1:24 PM
    austinmtb

austinmtb [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Southern Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2004 Toyota Tacoma DC TRD 4x4
    ADS Coilovers & Shocks, All Pro Standard Leafs, TRD Supercharger, Haltech Standalone, URD 2.2'' pulley, Method NV wheels, Copper Discoverer STT Pro tires, ECGS 4:56 gears, custom steel tube bumper, custom steel skid plate,
    Just went and drove around for a bit. The noise doesn't seem to change no matter what I do, as long as it's under 10 ish mph. I have noticed that truck is wanting to wander side to side going down a road more than usual, which leads me to believe it could be the wheel bearings.

Dalandser[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Oct 30, 2017 at 11:41 AM
    skeezix

skeezix Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1998 Limited
    While doing my annual check of my front suspension for wear, I noticed that when I turn the front wheel by hand I can hear a distinct, muted, clicking. The truck does NOT have ABS, and I don't recall hearing that noise in the past. It's exactly the same in both front wheels. Not a grinding, not a sharp sound, but a regular muted clicking when turning the wheel backwards or forwards. I cannot hear it from inside the cab.

I can feel no looseness in the suspension. I don't have any means to record the noise or I would post it here. Is this low volume noise normal for my truck?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017

Products Discussed in

To Top