1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Noise from dash area!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Toyotacrawler, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Jan 14, 2011 at 1:10 PM
    Toyotacrawler

Toyotacrawler [OP] She's got the jimmy legs

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    5100's set to 1.75" Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL & 5100's for the rear Konig Countersteer Offroads K&N Drop in WeatherTech's Bed Mat Blacked out Badges Rear leaf TSB
    I have been noticing a strange rattling noise coming from behind the dash in the glove box area. The noise sounds just like a zipper rattling. Of course at first I thought it was a coat in the floor, nope not it, then I checked the contents of the glove box, nope not it either. I did notice this morning when i cut the heat off it stopped. So i played with the fan knob and when its on low, the noise is minor and gradually gets worse the faster the fan speed. Oddly enough if Im not pressing the gas pedal with the fan on the noise stopped. It only occurs when I am putting a load on the engine. Has anybody else had this issue. I own a 2010 DC sport. Its driving me nuts. Any ideas on what is going on would be greatly appreciated. So far the only fix I know of is cranking up the radio.

2. Jan 14, 2011 at 1:15 PM
    ironman_jon

ironman_jon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Sport
    URD TCAI Wicked Flow 18" 2 10in alpine type r 1500 watt amp MB 72 matte black Custom Bumper Debadged Glassworks fenders McNeil bedsides Helix TB Spacer Intake Manifold Spacer Custom Roof Rack 5x 55w HID SK2 projectors 55w DDM 5k Bulbs Camburg Long Travel Fox Coilovers
    i just started hearing that today same deal i turn the heat off and it stops.. im going to take a look at it this weekend ill let you know if i find anything.....its annoying as all hell

3. Jan 14, 2011 at 1:18 PM
    Toyotacrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    5100's set to 1.75" Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL & 5100's for the rear Konig Countersteer Offroads K&N Drop in WeatherTech's Bed Mat Blacked out Badges Rear leaf TSB
    Yea it's very annoying! I'm gonna take a look this weekend too. I'll let you know what I find as well. It's almost like its the blower ticking or something. Thank ya!

4. Jan 16, 2011 at 3:11 PM
    Toyotacrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    Found a piece of pinestraw on top of the in cab air filter. That might be causing it. We shall see.

5. Jan 16, 2011 at 3:12 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    Use the search button.there are threads about "blower noise"

6. Jan 16, 2011 at 3:18 PM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    Mine is def not a blower noise. Its like when the engine its a certain rpm it rattles. I thought for sure it was coming from glove box area, after weeks of checking that area..... now I am thinking its the air cleaner box in engine compartment where it goes into fender. Its really annoying.

7. Jan 16, 2011 at 3:34 PM
    Toyotacrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    Yea that's the way mine is acting up

8. Jan 16, 2011 at 3:35 PM
    larryde09

larryde09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport, White Double Cab "Yeti"
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    x2...that'd be my first guess. This is a typical problem.

9. Jan 16, 2011 at 3:41 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    I have it as well. Right around 1800 rpm or so. Buzzing type of rattle. Have yet to take apart the dash to see. There were people who said it was the bundle of wires in the kickpanel. They needed to be taped up better.

10. Jan 16, 2011 at 3:46 PM
    Blackshirts

Blackshirts Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner-Totaled. 2016 SR5 Blue DC
    Stuff
    Its a TSB. Blower motor is the issue. Use the search also there on back order from most stealerships.

11. Jan 17, 2011 at 7:53 AM
    Toyotacrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    Yea after searching the blower motor seems to be the issue. I was suprised at how dirty the in cab air filter was though. I've only got 9000 miles on the taco. I guess its just like any other filter. I suppose I will let the dealer know about the noise and take it from there. Thanks guys!

12. Jan 20, 2011 at 8:39 AM
    Toyotacrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    Yep on backorder. I took the Taco in for it's 10,000 mile service and told them about it. They are going to perform the TSB though whenever the part gets in.

13. Jan 20, 2011 at 8:44 AM
    LEX

LEX --- --- --- - ----

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    100 Series LC
    Common noise with our trucks. Also do a search for "glovebox noise" and "buzzing glovebox." All kinds of info.

I got rid of mine, but now I have a sound like a cable bumping on the underside of the upper dash everytime I hit a bump. Going to look into this weekend.

14. Jan 20, 2011 at 8:44 AM
    Natetroknot

Natetroknot Experiencing TW at several WTFs per thread

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Dubuque, IA
    Vehicle:
    19 Sport AC-6MT
  15. Jan 20, 2011 at 10:27 AM
    TacoDaTugBoat

TacoDaTugBoat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goshen, Ct
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD Sport
    I have same noise. Seems to be affected by engine rpm. The different blower speeds react to diff rpms. Accept hi. I can't hear anything over the hi setting. I think most ppl here found the TSB replacement became noisy again before long. I heard there is an aftermarket made by a diff company.

16. Feb 5, 2012 at 8:27 PM
    ronjon04

ronjon04 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Orlando
    Vehicle:
    09 silver DC SB TRD Off Road 4x4
    -Fog Lights on anytime -KN Filter -Satoshi Grill -Black out Projection headlghts (Morimoto) -HID fogs -Bilstein shocks with 2" lift and add-a-leaf
    The buzzing noise is caused by the black wire harness cover behind the glove box rubbing against the metal HVAC bracket it is touching. I have a printout on how to fix attatched (Hopefully). Really just putting some foam padding between the two. did it for me!!!

It was driving me crazy so hope it work for all of you

Attached Files:

17. Feb 5, 2012 at 8:30 PM
    Duby

Duby Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    11 Crew Cab TRD Sport 4X4
    I looked and tried to clean out my blower and it didn't stop. After reading the posts TW I took it to the dealer and they replaced it no charge even though it was out of warranty. I let them know up front Toyota had a issue with it and they are to fix....they did. Good luck it was driving me crazy!

18. Feb 5, 2012 at 8:36 PM
    Ronn

Ronn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Northern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    Westin bullbar, KC slimlites, Mini D2S headlight retrofit, 5100 front @ 1.75 and 5100 rear, Wheelers HD leaf pack
    I had a rattle kind of like the one described. Turned out to be one of the bolts used to hold the dash in place was loose. Take off the passenger side kick panel and the bolt is right beside the glove box.

19. Feb 5, 2012 at 9:41 PM
    TnShooter

TnShooter The TacomaWorld Stray

Member:
    First Name:
    Deogee
    Vehicle:
    07' TRD Off-Road, Auto
    STOCK
    If you could see the HUGE hole under the the windshield / black cowl that the fresh air comes in. You would understand how the filter gets so nasty. In my opinion it a design flaw. It needs some type of cover to keep larger debris out. There are people on here that have made a prefilter of wire mesh. And a few that have even covered the intake hole with a shroud.
    The shroud help keep debris out as well as water that has been know to leak in through that HUGE hole. If you look at the bottom of the windshield from the out side of the truck, you will see a rubber seal between the the glass and black plastic cowling. The HUGE hole is just below that....

It will get more obvious, as time goes on and the more you look, how Toyotas quality has gone DOWN.

Products Discussed in

To Top