1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Noise when I turn on the fan...Please Help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Josh Parlier, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Sep 30, 2009 at 6:08 AM
    Josh Parlier

Josh Parlier [OP] Member

Member:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    When I first start my 05 tacoma 4 cylinder and my engine is reving at higher rpms, the fan will make a grinding noise when I first engage the fan for heat or a/c. After the intial grinding noise, the fan runs fine and also after my truck runs for awhile, I can turn the fan on and off with no problem. It only grinds when my engine is first started after sitting for several hours and the engine is reving while in park. Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Sep 30, 2009 at 7:31 AM
    nasty ned

nasty ned Well-Known Member

Member:
    mass
    Vehicle:
    05v6trd access
    nerf bars ventvisor kit nose & windows
    dead mouse ?

3. Sep 30, 2009 at 7:33 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Have you checked in the radiator shroud to see if anything is stuck in it
    ?

4. Sep 30, 2009 at 8:15 AM
    Josh Parlier

Josh Parlier [OP] Member

Member:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    Chris, thanks for the suggestion but Im not sure how to do that. I will give it a shot if you can give me alittle info. I reported the noise to the Toyota dealership but I could not recreate the noise b/c after I drive to the dealership, it no longer makes the noise. Shortly after, I had to replace the clutch (luckily it was under warranty). So they have looked it over and replaced some parts but it still makes the noise. So I guess Im going to leave it with them until they can recreate it but I was hoping to have some info to speed the process along...or in a perfect world, I could fix it myself and avoid taking it to them all together.

5. Sep 30, 2009 at 9:18 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    If its the engine fan, open the hood, and tward the front, you will see it. There will be a plastic shroud arround it. Look inside to see if there is any debris around or in it. DO NOT DO THIS WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING. Keep the engine off and check it.

6. Sep 30, 2009 at 9:36 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Just east of crazy

Member:
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Toyo A30 tires, Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover.
    If the fan clutch has been replaced, then maybe the fan itself is hitting the shroud? Look for damage to the plastic shroud or on the tips of the blade. Just an idea. Good luck.

7. Sep 30, 2009 at 9:50 AM
    Josh Parlier

Josh Parlier [OP] Member

Member:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    Thanks Chris and Taco, That makes sense, I will check it out. I appreciate the help.

8. Oct 1, 2009 at 12:24 PM
    Josh Parlier

Josh Parlier [OP] Member

Member:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    nothing in the shroud or no marks on the fan. its weird that it only does it when the engine is reved and makes me wonder what the connection could be. thanks for the help, all suggestions are apprectiated!

9. Oct 1, 2009 at 1:12 PM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Just east of crazy

Member:
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Toyo A30 tires, Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover.
    Most engines when they are revved up will move a bit. You may need another person to rev the engine while you look under the hood for the noise.

10. Dec 6, 2009 at 4:39 AM
    MotoXFreeStyle61

MotoXFreeStyle61 Displaced Texan

Member:
    San Antonio TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 4Cyl, Access Cab, 5
    Black Head Light Mod, Tacoma All Weather Mats, ScanGauge II, Tonnaeu Bed Cover, 40% Tint, Added Fog Lights, 600W x 1 Alpine MRP-M650 Amp, Alpine 10" Type-R SWR-1022D Sub, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Day Time Running Lights, K&N Drop In Air Filter (oiled), Westin Bullbar (Black Powder), Alpine IVA-W505 w/Nav, JL Audio 6.5" Front Speakers, Toyota SR5 Seat Covers, 2.5" Toytec Spacer
    I have this same problem too when I first start my vehicle and have the AC already on when it starts. It's defenantly hit or miss with it though. Probably happens maybe <10% of starts. Mine is an 06 and I noticed it within 3 or 4 months of getting it new. I could never recreate the noise, but I have associated it with the AC being turned on at or near starting the engine while it's trying to stabilize. I have a 4cyl if that means anything.

11. Dec 6, 2009 at 5:22 AM
    doodle_cakes

doodle_cakes Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco SR5 5lugger
    I have a similar problem. Right now when I have my heat going, there is a bit of a clicking sound only when I have it on the lowest and mid setting. If I crank her it goes away.

this!

when I first turn my AC on after starting my truck sometimes it makes a horrible sound. Then I'm like WTF, turn it off and on but it doesn't do it again.

To Top