1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Noise when in reverse

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tnerb, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Jul 29, 2011 at 3:51 PM
    tnerb

tnerb [OP] New Member

Member:
    I found a few old threads on similar issues, but none that had a solution. Hopefully with the recording I've included somebody will have some ideas.

I have a 2004 Tacoma SR5, Xtracab, V6, manual, 4x4, & 115,000 miles. In February, I got new front brake rotors and pads installed, and had my rear brakes cleaned and adjusted. Not too long after that, I started getting this noise when I backed up. It was worse when the truck had been parked for more than about 6 hours, so I got the noise when I left home in the morning, and when I left work in the afternoon.

Later this spring, I brought it to the shop that did my brakes. They heard the noise, thought it was coming from the rear brakes. They said everything looked good, but went in and cleaned them. The noise still was there.

Then, about 6 weeks ago, I brought it back in to them. They looked at the truck again, said everything looked okay, and claimed the noise was caused by moisture being absorbed by the shoes. They said to live with it, as it's not a safety issue. I didn't buy that answer, since the shoes were NOT replaced in February. They are the same shoes (with a lot of material left) that have been on the truck since I bought it 1.5 years ago (noise started < 6 months ago).

Last week, I took it to a second shop. They heard a recording of the noise when I brought it in, and again thought it had to be the rear brakes. They found that the inside of the drum had an almost mirror finish to it, and they thought that was odd. They thought that this smooth surface was keeping the brakes from self adjusting properly, and that the shoe was rubbing on the drum instead of adjusting itself. They installed new drums. I thought the problem was finally solved. The next morning the noise was still there.

So, here's a recording of the noise. Does anybody here have any ideas on what this might be? Some other similar threads said u-joints could be the problem. Does this sound like bad u-joints?

http://vimeo.com/27071153

2. Jul 29, 2011 at 6:34 PM
    NegroTundra

NegroTundra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Land of Enchantment
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma TRD 4WD 5 spd
    So is this noise being produced when you have no pressure to the brake pedal? Couldn't help but ask as it sure does sound brake related to me too. Doesnt sound U-Joint related....mine failed at 89k and never made a noise. (Tho I was in 4LO doing some torqy climbing).

What about your E-brake? Have you inspected to make sure its operating properly?

3. Jul 29, 2011 at 6:53 PM
    tnerb

tnerb [OP] New Member

Member:
    Correct, no brake pressure when the noise occurs.

E-brake is fully released (this was confirmed). Doesn't matter if I park with e brake on or off. Sound happens either way.

I didn't think it sounded like u joints either, but saw it suggested on a different thread.

4. Jul 29, 2011 at 7:06 PM
    THE TECHNICIAN

THE TECHNICIAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    Is it for sure coming from the rear? Stick your head out the window and pay attention to what ear is hearing it. Sounds like backing plates on the front rubbing to me.

To Top