1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Noisey Blower Motor

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 1ugly baby, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Jan 22, 2011 at 10:20 PM
    EvilBetty

EvilBetty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    People are reporting fast failures with that model as well.

I don't think this is a problem with the motor itself. I think it's a problem with the way Toyota positioned and ducted it.

2. Jan 23, 2011 at 1:41 AM
    eight3one_offroad

eight3one_offroad Honey your two French Fries short of a Happy Meal.

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Santa Cruz, California
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4 with a few things.
    Optima Red Top 34R, OME 885 / N140S + 5100 rear, TSB leaf pack, Camburg Ball Joint UCA, Wheelers Diff drop, AEM Brute Force Intake with filter wrap, Summit Super Turbo muffler, Llumar 5% tint, Pioneer single din head unit, PIAA 510 Ion Crystal Fogs in stock location, Sonar LED tails. Sway Bar removal. Charcoal filter delete. Stant 11509 Locking Gas Cap.
    Toyota quality sure has gone down... I really wish these newer Tacomas would be as solid as the older ones! UGH.

3. Jan 23, 2011 at 3:45 AM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    I installed the TYC one over a month ago; no problems yet. The problems tend to start the subsequent winter. $40 to have a quiet fan for a year is well worth it. If this one goes out, I hope the "updated" delphi fan will be fixed by then and there should be plenty on hand. Something else to check out, the VDO fan on Amazon is the same continental brand fan sold by Autozone with the lifetime warranty; they are the same company. They TYC fan has a lifetime warranty according to the TYC website.

4. Jan 24, 2011 at 5:08 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    me - I hate you... you're wasting my time... manager - that's what I get paid to do... I hate you and I want to waste your time... me - DUDE, seriously. Get your head out of your arse and order me a damn new blower motor. You know they're all F'd and you want me to come down there and let you see my Delphi piece of crap BS motor? manager - yes. I get off wasting your time and don't get commission on car sales so basically I like scewing you over. me - I'm never buying a Toyota again you non-contributing zero! manager - hello???? hello?????

5. Feb 8, 2011 at 2:37 PM
    stlwkr

stlwkr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dbenoit@northwestel.net
    Yukon
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 tacoma
    6 inch pro-comp lift
    Just went through this problem myself. And discovered that in my case it ended up being a two part problem. First was the motor output shaft bushing gets dry and starts to chirp, this bushing is hard to accsess because the squirel cage blower fins assembly seems to be melted on the end of the shaft. I ended up busting it right off to accsess this bushing. This motor was my second one that Toyota put in and only lasted two weeks before it started chirping. I was told that there is no warrenty on a warrented item so I was SOL. I did not want to buy another and have the same problem again so I found one on ebay made by TYC which features a removable squirel cage and a real bearing on the output shaft. Just to be sure I oiled this bearing with sae 20 (3 in one oil) and reassembled. The second problem was tolerences between the squirel cage fan and the in dash ducting. When the motor spins the squirel cage is not perfectly ballanced so it tend to wobbel a bit thus hitting this internal ducting. I put a sanding drum on a dremmel tool and removed about 1-2 mm off this opening. Its been fine for about a month now. Hope this info helps someone as I was a major sourse of frustration for me.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Feb 8, 2011 at 6:27 PM
    gatlin69

gatlin69 Retired?

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tampa
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    Nerf bars, bug shield,skid plate, coming soon (hopefully) DVD NAV
    Same problem here...with less than 1600 miles on the odo...that makes me sad....but that is what a warranty is for. :confused: Good post thank you

7. Feb 8, 2011 at 6:35 PM
    Wayner275

Wayner275 Member Me

Member:
    Regina, Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    Step bars, Weathertech mats, Sirius sat., Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite, Pop-n-Lock (ditched the PopnLock and went with the Dyno Lock, RedLine hood struts, Cloud-rider Grill insert,
    just had mine replaced under warranty. The TSB includes a sound insulation kit that they use to line the inside of the airbox. My system is quieter now and the chirping is gone. The TSB number in Canada is TSB 3394. Don't know if they use the same numbering system in the US.

8. Mar 17, 2011 at 9:12 AM
    gatlin69

gatlin69 Retired?

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tampa
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    Nerf bars, bug shield,skid plate, coming soon (hopefully) DVD NAV

Still waiting on my part....I can't believe it is taking so long....I also asked the dealer about the recall on the TPMS, the service department didn't know if it applied to the 2011, I looked on the NHTSA site and found this:

Make: TOYOTA Model: TACOMA Model Year: 2011 Manufacturer: TOYOTA MOTOR NORTH AMERICA, INC. Mfr's Report Date: MAR 04, 2011 NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 11V148000 N/A
    NHTSA Action Number: N/A Component: TIRES:pRESSURE MONITORING AND REGULATING SYSTEMS Summary:
    [​IMG] TOYOTA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2008 THROUGH 2011 FJ CRUISER, LAND CRUISER, TACOMA, SEQUOIA AND TUNDRA VEHICLES FOR FAILING TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 138, "TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM (TPMS)." WHEN FACTORY-INSTALLED WHEELS AND TIRES WERE REPLACED WITH TOYOTA AUTHORIZED ACCESSORY WHEELS AND LT TIRES PRIOR TO FIRST SALE, THE TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEMS WERE NOT RE-CALIBRATED CORRECTLY AND THEREFORE DO NOT START ILLUMINATING THE LOW TIRE PRESSURE WARNING TELLTALE AT THE REQUIRED MINIMUM ACTIVATION PRESSURE.
    Consequence:
    [​IMG] FAILURE TO WARN OF TIRE DEFLATIONS IS A NON-COMPLIANCE WITH FMVSS 138 AND COULD LEAD TO TIRE FAILURE INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
    Remedy:
    [​IMG] FOR THE LAND CRUISER, SEQUOIA, TACOMA AND TUNDRA VEHICLES, THE DEALER WILL RE-CALIBRATE THE TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM ON AFFECTED VEHICLES AND INSTALL AN UPDATED TIRE AND LOADING INFORMATION LABEL AT NO CHARGE. FOR THE FJ CRUISER VEHICLES, THE TPMS CANNOT BE RESET SO THE ELECTRONIC CONTROL UNIT (ECU) FOR THE TPMS WILL BE REPLACED. TOYOTA IS CURRENTLY DEVELOPING THE REMEDY ECU. IF AN OWNER IS NOT CERTAIN WHETHER HIS OR HER VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH THESE ACCESSORIES, PLEASE CONTACT ANY TOYOTA DEALER FOR AN INSPECTION AT NO CHARGE. THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT YET PROVIDED AN OWNER NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE. OWNERS MAY CONTACT TOYOTA AT 1-800-331-4331.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/results.cfm

Interesting...sorry to get off topic...

9. Mar 18, 2011 at 8:00 AM
    tony92629

tony92629 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Dana Point
    Vehicle:
    2010 White Tacoma Prerunner
    5100's all the way around. Front set at .85. Camburg Spindles. Camburg Uniball 1.25 UCA's. Total Chaos LCA skid plates. Custom Deaver 10 pack rear leaf spring. BFG AT KO's 285/70/17, Weathertech floor liners, Wet Okoles. Midland CB/PA, Firestick.
    Getting my TSB for the Blower motor on Monday.....It better be the updated motor. I also have been waiting for about a month - 2010 DC Shortbed - Chirps on the two lowest setting - 17,000 miles.

10. Apr 13, 2011 at 6:49 AM
    JasoTaco

JasoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
    I dropped my truck off this morning to get the blower motor replaced. They are replacing the motor and putting in a silencing kit AKA a piece of foam from what I can tell by reading the TSB. Truck has 30k miles.

11. Apr 13, 2011 at 7:57 AM
    rdwarrior

rdwarrior Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dirty, NJ
    pop and lock 5300, awaiting revenge fab sliders, leer topper, custom camping platform for bed
    I bought a TYC off ebay a few months ago. I worked great for about 4 months(longer than any other blower motor i have had) and it started to make noise 2 weeks ago. I have had 4-5 blower motors thus far. I am truly tired of this noise and spending my life swapping one shitty blower motor for another. Anyone actually have the foam installed? Does it even stop the noise?

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  12. Apr 13, 2011 at 10:55 AM
    JasoTaco

JasoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
    I just picked up my truck and so far I'm loving the fix. I know is still too early to tell if the repair is long term but so far so good. The foam seems to make a big difference I can't hear the motor at all over the sound of air coming out the vents. The only time I can barely hear the motor is when the truck is off and I turn the blower motor off and its winding down. The fix thus far gets an A+.

13. Sep 4, 2011 at 6:01 AM
    2010tss

2010tss Active Member

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma TSS package
    TSS package
    AFTER REPLACING 3 AT THE DEALERSHIP I WENT THIS ROUTE NO PROBLEMS VDO PART # W0133-1856829

14. Dec 7, 2011 at 7:00 AM
    Rotary12

Rotary12 Member

Member:
    Minnesota
    Topper and bed rug
    I do, and it's going in tomorrow after work for the third replacement. Last night I put a paint mark on the blower motor so I can verify that they actually change the motor.

15. Dec 7, 2011 at 8:26 AM
    SoCaltaco65

SoCaltaco65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4x4 Offroad TRD
    where is the intake for the system? Is it in the passenger side wheel well? I ask as I have a chirp and noticed that when I vary my throttle position I can modulate the chirp from barely noticable to annoying as hell.

16. Dec 7, 2011 at 8:29 AM
    fubar718

fubar718 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2010 double cab, TRD offroad
    I AM ON MY FOURTH, THIS ONE IS THE BEST SO FAR BUT STILL A LITTLE NOISY. AT THIS POINT IM GOING TO LIVE WITH IT.

17. Dec 7, 2011 at 8:40 AM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    it sounds like a cricket infestation is in my dash.

so just to be clear there is an updated motor for this to fix the problem right?
    the only reason i have lived with this annoying shit for the last year is that guy's seemed to have the exact same problem even after getting it replaced at the dealership some 2 and 3 times!

if there is an updated motor if someone could post up the tsb number for it or a link or some shit that would be a large help. i'm sending the taco in for a lube and oil change and going to have them replace this shit motor with the new one.

also anyone have this new motor and if so hows it doing lol? any more issues?

thanks, hans

18. Dec 7, 2011 at 8:42 AM
    bendbolden

bendbolden Come and take them.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Moscow, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    None but soon......
    Let me find it real quick.

19. Dec 7, 2011 at 8:45 AM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    holy shit your on your fourth fucking motor :eek:

what does toyota have to say for themselves? dude call corperate and stir the pot a bit thats crazy!

i have lived with this bull shit for a long time now and i'm finally tired of it and can't take it anymore i have got to get it fixed.

i can tell you this shit my dash will not be taken apart more than once before heads roll. toyota will be so goddam sick of hearing from me they give me a new truck lol.

btw fubar, did you have the new motor installed yet?

20. Dec 7, 2011 at 8:50 AM
    bendbolden

bendbolden Come and take them.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Moscow, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    None but soon......

Products Discussed in

To Top