1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Noisy Door Check

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by cryptolime, Sep 22, 2022.

1. Sep 22, 2022 at 8:27 PM
    cryptolime

cryptolime [OP] Here to Help

Member:
    Manassas, VA
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR 4x4 2.7L
    89 Octane
    My door check on my passenger side access cab door is making all sorts of noise. when i open the door all the way there seems to be some play in between the metal and plastic bushings inside the mechanism. when i'm driving down the road there is a constant clicking noise that I've found to be coming from the door check. it's frickin annoying and i need to fix it before it drives me insane.

anyone else have this issue? did lubricant fix it?

edit: if you don't know what a door check is it's the thing that prevents the door from opening too wide. here is a random google picture for reference:
    [​IMG]

2. Sep 23, 2022 at 4:55 AM
    22Coma6MT

22Coma6MT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Sport AC 6MT
    Both doors of my access cab have a ticking noise, more so when the outside temperature is colder. The noise is just behind my left shoulder, and I can press down on the driver side access door and stop it from ticking.

It sounds like it is coming from behind the door panel and not the door check as shown in your photo. I have tried tightening the screw that holds the handle in place, shoving foam and cardboard between the panel and window, and nothing has fixed it.

I have been meaning to remove the access door panels and see if I can fix it. It drives me nuts and now that the cooler weather has arrived, I am noticing it more again. If you search you can find others that are having a similar noise.

I do not trust the dealer to take care of this and I plan to also install sound reducing material while I have the door panels off. I hope to have time next month to look into this further.

3. Sep 23, 2022 at 8:51 AM
    cryptolime

Member:
    Manassas, VA
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR 4x4 2.7L
    89 Octane
    mine actually sounds like it's coming from the intersection between the rear trim panel, door, and rear glass but I isolated the sound to the door check. and you are right about cooler weather, mine seems to act up when the temperature drops a bit.

4. Sep 23, 2022 at 8:52 AM
    drizzoh

drizzoh itsjdmy0

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4x4
    I had this issue on my tC. Same door check. Lube did not fix it. About $100 to replace. Swapped it out and no more noise. Should be covered under warranty if you have a 21 though.

cryptolime [OP] likes this.
  5. Sep 23, 2022 at 8:54 AM
    cryptolime

Member:
    Manassas, VA
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR 4x4 2.7L
    89 Octane
    yea, i did some research and a lot of people are saying lubing/greasing didn't fix it and they had to replace it. which is crazy since this truck is pretty new and this is the access door I use the least.

6. Sep 23, 2022 at 8:56 AM
    drizzoh

drizzoh itsjdmy0

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4x4
    Yeah it's something internally on the check. It makes sense when you have it your hand but hard to describe if you can't see/hold it. Dealer should make it right though. Pretty simple swap, 3 10mm bolts. Have to take the door panel off though.

cryptolime [OP] likes this.
  7. Sep 23, 2022 at 12:08 PM
    FL_TRD Sport

FL_TRD Sport KDMax Pro Authorized Tuner SE Florida

Member:
    First Name:
    Hector
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport MGM DCLB
    KDMax Pro+XT, Meso Total Tail Stage 1, other misc. stuff
    I'm beginning to think you could basically take this truck apart with a 10mm socket and a rachet handle.

AmateurTaco1313 and drizzoh like this.
  8. Sep 23, 2022 at 4:34 PM
    rsimi72

rsimi72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma SR5 Access Cab
    Same. I am pretty sure it has something to do with the door panel and clips. I pulled my panel and the rattle stopped. But I can’t seem to figure it out and I got tired of driving around without a door panel. It was nice and quiet, though. Holler if you solve it.

9. Sep 24, 2022 at 7:50 AM
    cryptolime

Member:
    Manassas, VA
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR 4x4 2.7L
    89 Octane
    i lubed the hell out of it yesterday and it did absolutely nothing to the noise.

10. Sep 24, 2022 at 8:06 AM
    cryptolime

Member:
    Manassas, VA
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR 4x4 2.7L
    89 Octane
    there is a spring and ball bearing that seems to rattle around on the door check (door side inside the panel). I need to remove the panels to see if i can see what's going on in there. some heavy grease should keep it from rattling but you can't really get it in the proper place without removing the entire panel.

Products Discussed in

To Top