1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT2 Studded - Short Review

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Canmorite, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Nov 20, 2013 at 7:32 AM
    Canmorite

Canmorite [OP] Member

Member:
    Canmore, AB
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB TRD Sport
    There isn't much info on these tires out there, so thought I'd throw my initial impressions up here.

Nokian Hakapeliitta LT2 in 265/75/16 mounted on 16" FJ rims, running on '13 DCLB TRD Sport.

The tires look good, but nowhere near as aggressive looking as the BFG A/T KO (my summer tires). That said, they are heavily siped, with a pronounced centre block pattern. The studs are mainly located on the shoulders, though there are occasional ones closer to the tire's centre. The rubber is extremely sticky - they were hard to push into the truck bed when I picked them up.

So far, I've only got about 1000km on them in mixed conditions from deep but light snow, light rain, patches of ice to dry pavement. This includes both town and highway driving.

Dry traction is commendable, not exhibiting as much squirm as other winter tires I've driven.

There are massive channels throughout the tread so rain is not an issue. I've not experienced any hydroplaning, even though I was trying to make it happen.

Even deep - 30cm - though light and fluffy, snow appears non-existent to these tires. Traction is fantastic, maybe even better than on dry pavement. I can literally floor the truck in 4wd and it leaps forward without any tire spinning or even TC cutting in.

Ice traction has proven to be very good. They will slide, obviously, but it takes a heavy foot to make it happen. Under normal driving conditions the tires feel very secure.

Fuel consumption appears about the same as my BFG A/Ts, though the tires do feel a bit 'softer.' Longevity is not something I am particularly concerned about, assuming they last at least a couple of winters (or approx. 40,000km).

Based on my experience with other Finnish winter tires, notably other Nokian Hakkapeliitta as well as Gislaved NordFrost, these will do very well indeed over the course of the winter. From my brief time driving on them, I would highly recommend them.

Nokian-1.jpg
    Nokian-2.jpg
    Nokian-3.jpg
    Nokian-4.jpg
    Nokian-5.jpg

dpele likes this.
  2. Nov 20, 2013 at 7:45 AM
    mccarroll

mccarroll Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC 4X4
  3. Nov 20, 2013 at 8:51 AM
    b0ules

b0ules Fresh frame!

Member:
    Ottawa, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue 06 TRD Off-Road
    Leer 100XL Topper OME 885X/Nitrocharger Sport Front Dakar Leafs/Nitrocharger Sport Rear
    Nice - how much snow in Canmore so far?

I've been there once or twice to visit a friend on 100 Benchlands - what a beautiful town.

Cheers!

4. Jan 6, 2014 at 8:33 AM
    SillyMan

SillyMan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sylvain
    Canmore
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Dbl Cab, long Box
    Geolander Tires Skid Plate
    Where did you get your tires? How much? same truck, same town...

5. Nov 15, 2017 at 9:12 PM
    ed99

ed99 Member

Member:
    I just picked up a set of the Nokian Hakapeliitta LT2 studded tires mounted them on steel wheels, 265 70 R17 on my 2010 Tacoma double cab. I have about 1000km on them My previous tires were KO gen 1 and then Duratracs. I can state without any reservation they are the best dedicated winter tire. Most of my experience with the LT2s is off road, on winter logging roads and 4x4 roads in the Central Interior of BC. No wheel spin on the snow/ice/mud and no requirements to chain up with the studded wheels. My buddies who with me have extensive off road experience from their previous jobs and they were suitably impressed with the tire's performance. The outperformed my previous tires, although the Duratracs when new, were quite good in the snow although not the same performance on ice as the studded LT2. After 45K the Duratracs needed to be replaced as they wouldn't have enough tread for off road winter use. I have over 35 yrs experience off roading with various Landcruisers and one Ford F150 and my Tacoma that I have owned since new.

I have whole heartedly subscribed to the the concept of running a dedicated winter tire for winter, and I will continue with my Duratracs for the spring/summer/fall. :canada:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    dpele and gearcruncher like this.
  6. Nov 16, 2017 at 3:09 AM
    drop4205

drop4205 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Windham, Maine
    Vehicle:
    14 TX Baja
    Pioneer 8201 nex Id cxs 6.5 component front Id cs 6.5 rear Jl audio hd 600/4 Jl audio 10” micro sub+ Ram mat Tinted windows Debaged Plasti dip front emble
    How are the studs on dry pavement. Are they loud at all like a normal studded tire? I see they have a different way of mounting the stud so its not protruding out like a normal one

7. Nov 16, 2017 at 9:45 PM
    ed99

ed99 Member

Member:
    They are my first studded tire. I don't find them too loud, you can hear them at low speed with open window, not very noticeable at hwy speed with windows up. They seem quieter than other studded tires I have heard on other vehicles...

Just got back from another logging road adventure, icy roads in the shade, North facing slope. Great traction! This was a route I almost went into the ditch with my BFG KO All Terrains Gen 1 3 years ago with similar road conditions. Other pickups on this road today were running chains....

Ed

8. Nov 28, 2017 at 9:48 AM
    ed99

ed99 Member

Member:
    Weather has warmed up, so some of the off road trails are now muddy. The Nokians load up quickly in the mud and I would not describe them as a great tire for mud, however once it gets cold again, look out!

9. Oct 28, 2018 at 6:04 PM
    unclemat

unclemat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX Baja
    How did the LT2s do for the rest of the last winter?

10. Oct 28, 2018 at 11:33 PM
    ed99

ed99 Member

Member:
    Worked great! Transforms the truck totally for winter driving. Still have all the studs in place. Just waiting for the snow to fly before I put them back on for this winter. This spring I took them off a bit early and I came across a bush road that was downhill and in the shade. It still had snow on it - now it was ice. With my old Duratracs mounted I almost hit the ditch. I was able to get turned around and take another route without ice☺

11. Nov 16, 2018 at 2:32 PM
    MCKROB

MCKROB Member

Member:
    Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport Double Cab Manual
    What’s a good price for a set of these? Looking to pick up a set on the east coast for my 2016.

12. Nov 17, 2018 at 5:10 AM
    ed99

ed99 Member

Member:

Products Discussed in

To Top