1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Nokian Outpost AT

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Solduios, May 22, 2022.

1. Sep 1, 2022 at 4:41 PM
    gero

gero Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gero
    Vehicle:
    2014 Blue TRD Off Road
    Ooooh those look nice!!! Where did you get them and also where did you get them installed?

2. Sep 3, 2022 at 10:36 AM
    MT_Advocate

MT_Advocate Ramblin' In the Rambler

Member:
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Off-Road 6MT
    TRD Lift Kit; GFC; CaliRaised Trail Sliders
    If you guys are interested in these tires better buy them now while you can. I know SimpleTire and Priority Tire still have them in stock. I tried to order some through DiscountTire but they weren't available in my size. One of the guys from DT called Nokian and asked when they'd be available to order and was told late Summer 2023. It seems like the molds are stuck in Russia and they'll need to create new ones to start production in either their Finnish or American factories.

Squirt and tonered like this.
  3. Sep 3, 2022 at 5:14 PM
    gero

gero Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gero
    Vehicle:
    2014 Blue TRD Off Road
    I just ordered a set of 5 (one extra) for my 2014 TRD Off Road from SimpleTire and will have them installed locally. Anyone interest in a covert tire mold recovery operation? :bikewheelie2:

GarrettTacoma and Squirt like this.
  4. Sep 3, 2022 at 7:41 PM
    MT_Advocate

Member:
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Off-Road 6MT
    Count me in!

Squirt likes this.
  5. Sep 3, 2022 at 7:47 PM
    Squirt

Squirt Certified in forklifts and meme stealing =)

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Cornfields of Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat with 3.5L of fury!!
    Rexing front and rear dash camera, some LEDs, Weathertech HP floor liners/vent shades/bug deflector/underseat storage bin, OEM Ford bed mat, Diode Dynamics SS3 Pros in selective yellow, Diode Dynamics 18" light bar in amber and universal Carhartt seat covers. Bak Revolver X4S tonneau cover. Android Auto USB plug upgrade! H11 to H9. Sound deadened/insulated floors and rear wall. VLED license plate reverse light. Yokohama GO15s. Rokblokz mud flaps. Flowmaster Super 50 Series with stock resonator.
    Last week I got my tires rotated, my tire guy said he talked to a Nokian rep the day before and said they were hoping to primarily bring them to the US.

6. Sep 3, 2022 at 7:52 PM
    MT_Advocate

Member:
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Off-Road 6MT
    That's definitely their aim. I think their factory is in Tennessee and if they can get the molds there or create new ones I'll be in line by a set of tires. Those things look like the perfect blend of on road and off-road.

Squirt[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Sep 3, 2022 at 7:55 PM
    Squirt

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Cornfields of Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Rexing front and rear dash camera, some LEDs, Weathertech HP floor liners/vent shades/bug deflector/underseat storage bin, OEM Ford bed mat, Diode Dynamics SS3 Pros in selective yellow, Diode Dynamics 18" light bar in amber and universal Carhartt seat covers. Bak Revolver X4S tonneau cover. Android Auto USB plug upgrade! H11 to H9. Sound deadened/insulated floors and rear wall. VLED license plate reverse light. Yokohama GO15s. Rokblokz mud flaps. Flowmaster Super 50 Series with stock resonator.
    Yup, Tennessee has the US plant. My tire guy said the WRG4s and I think the Entyres are made there.

If they're anything like the Rotiivas I'll love to replace them with the Outpost or Rotiiva A/Ts if still available.

MT_Advocate[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Sep 14, 2022 at 7:51 PM
    gero

gero Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gero
    Vehicle:
    2014 Blue TRD Off Road
    Can I ask what pressure you're running? Looks like you have a Gen 2 TRD OR also and I just put a set of Outpost AT LT265/70/16 on it. I think they put it at recommended pressures, but from what I was reading, with LT tires you want to go slightly higher. Thanks.

Squirt likes this.
  9. Sep 14, 2022 at 7:59 PM
    Squirt

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Cornfields of Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Each truck is slightly different. A chalk test will give you the correct pressure for your truck.

MT_Advocate likes this.
  10. Sep 15, 2022 at 7:57 AM
    MT_Advocate

Member:
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Off-Road 6MT
    The added benefit to the chalk test is that you'll now have sidewalk chalk which you probably haven't played with in years.... bring on the sidewalk art!

tonered and Squirt[QUOTED] like this.
  11. Sep 15, 2022 at 8:01 AM
    Squirt

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Cornfields of Illinois
    Vehicle:
    I've got some chalk and a large driveway canvas if you wanna come over and have some fun!:fistbump:
    20220915_095856.jpg

tonered and MT_Advocate[QUOTED] like this.
  12. Nov 2, 2022 at 7:48 AM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    Hey, Folks.

With the dry season over here in the Seattle area, these tires are making me scratch my head. They have been great in the dry and really good off road. In the wet, they seem to be struggling to hook up when accelerating. And, someone asked me about wet braking. I gave it an aggressive stop and they seemed to go over the traction threshold a bit early. In all, they are very predictable when they slip and wet cornering traction seems quite good when messing around.

I'm trying to figure out if my memories of the Wildpeaks are nostalgic or not and want to be able to recommend the Nokians. The other possibility is that I had loftier goals from the Nokian urban legend.

Anyone else out there hustling these in the wet and can confirm or deny my suspicions?

They're looking spooky good on new wheels.

PXL_20221015_181800313.jpg.

PXL_20221102_013834457.jpg

ExplorHer and Squirt like this.
  13. Nov 2, 2022 at 8:02 AM
    splitbolt

splitbolt Voodoo Witch Doctor

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OFFROAD DCSB MGM
    What wheels were on there previously?
    Additional scrub on the new wheels will cause a toe out condition under harder acceleration and braking...

tonered[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Nov 2, 2022 at 8:16 AM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    They were stock Sport wheels. 7.5in +30mm to these at 8.5in -10mm. But, this was noticed before the swap. Mainly the slip when accelerating.

Honestly, the new wheels with about 4.0in more width overall have noticeably better handling. I was not expecting that.

Neat visualization: upload_2022-11-2_8-14-30.jpg

15. Nov 2, 2022 at 9:20 AM
    splitbolt

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Not surprising...
    The additional scrub is usually more noticeable under hard braking, as more force is applied than through acceleration. Weight transfer to the front is also increased, as additional scrub lowers the effective spring rate, making the rear end lighter.
    I"m not trying to dismiss the performance difference you are experiencing between tires. I"m just saying, it might not be the complete cause.
    This calculator shows the additional leverage(scrub radius); 40mm in your case. The toe-in spec of +0.05 infers a stock scrub radius of maybe 1/8"; 1/4" at most. An additional 40mm is significant. Handling would be improved because wider track is inherently more stable. Turning would be easier(especially low speed), as the tire is doing less pivoting in place and more fore and aft through through the increased steering arc.

16. Nov 2, 2022 at 9:34 AM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    I'm not doubting you either. Haha! Good info all around.

It is just that the acceleration side was noticed prior to the swap. That side of it is not bad, just a suspicion that it feels lower than I expected / remember. Both of those are faulty and not scientific. The braking was only truly tested yesterday. It was aggressive and not horrible to control either. The whole deal just leaves me questioning my own recommendation of the tire.

By feel, cornering feels more weighted at all speeds. I'm happy there as the steering was lighter than I liked with the old wheels.

The other possibility is that I am one data point with a set that might not be full spec? Not that it is 100% pertinent, but the date code is 4921, so a December manufacture. The tread blocks were super soft when I got them. They felt like a winter compound but have stabilized with heat cycles since.

What's your feelings after having them for a while?

17. Nov 2, 2022 at 10:00 AM
    splitbolt

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    I was considering them... Russian-made was a no-go for me. Last I heard, production was supposed to move stateside, but they can't get the molds out of Russia.
    I'm currently window shopping and on the fence between: Baja Boss AT, Goodyear Ultraterrain, Falken AT3W and Toyo AT3. Got to get something before winter sets in to replace my tired KO2s.

18. Nov 2, 2022 at 10:26 AM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    Yeah. I was hoping for some Finnish or US MFG, but mine were made in Orc-land. Just hoping that in 3yrs when these are done, there will be a different regime there.

The Falkens were good, just not worth the price now, IMO. A friend just got the Baja Boss ATs in place of STT Pros. He likes the volume reduction. They are running a larger diameter than expected by a good bit. More trimming is needed.

Also look at the Cooper Rugged Treks? Those were my fall back.

BBAT mounted:

messages_0.jpg

messages_0 (1).jpg

BBAT not mounted:

messages_0 (2).jpg

messages_0 (3).jpg

splitbolt[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Nov 2, 2022 at 10:48 AM
    splitbolt

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Rugged Trek is an interesting design... Unfortunately, I want to stick with the OEM 16" wheels and they're only available in 265/70/16.

20. Nov 2, 2022 at 10:49 AM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    Ah! I'm on the 17in side of things.

Products Discussed in

To Top