1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Non-hardcore skid plates?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by snowdrivin, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Nov 15, 2010 at 4:40 PM
    snowdrivin

snowdrivin [OP] New Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC LB TRD Sport
    Hello All,

New to the forum and new to toyotas and tacomas.

Just recently picked up a 2011 DC LB TRD sport -- really wanted an TRD OR but the longer bed trumped all else. Either way, I plan on keeping the truck stock for a while but was wondering what my options were regarding skid plates.

I want some extra protection from rocks/sticks/etc from fire/abandoned roads in northern New England. I don't plan on any hardcore wheeling but I do need to get off the beaten path for camping and hunting. ---Mostly looking for covering the gas tank, transfer case, engine (what's not covered by the seemingly thin front skid plate from the factory). Does the TRD OR come w/ any of these?

Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to enjoying the new truck.

2. Nov 15, 2010 at 6:03 PM
    pauls2ndblessing

pauls2ndblessing Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5
    Congrats and welcome, I believe allpro has a few solutions. I just got my truck a month ago and don't do any wheeling, just lots of flat dirt roads. I'm looking for a trd skid plate which is a little bigger than the stock skids. I would actually like a beefier skid in general that doesn't require a new front end.

I'm subbing the thread incase you get an answer. :cheers:

P

3. Nov 15, 2010 at 6:08 PM
    malander

malander That's some tight butthole

Member:
    First Name:
    max
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    01 limited trd 4x4
    deck plate mod,jba cat back,bilstein 5100's,ome 883 springs, Allpro expos, allpro U-bolt flip kit, 10" Bilstien 5150 shocks, custom lower shock mounts
    i could be wrong but i thought you needed their bumper for their skids to work, this may only be for first gens though

4. Nov 15, 2010 at 6:08 PM
    fsbrain03

fsbrain03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Budbuilt.com they have the best skids you can buy!

5. Nov 15, 2010 at 6:11 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Paying money for All-Poo products is a bad idea.

Go with Armortech or Budbuilt for 2nd gen skids.

6. Nov 15, 2010 at 6:19 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Paying money for armortech or budbuilt is a bad idea when you aren't planning on using them.

I think if you are driving fire roads you should be fine without any extra protection really. I've taken mine out for some moderate challenging trails/obstacles without plates and haven't done any serious damage.

7. Nov 15, 2010 at 6:22 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    I would argue the same. If you're going to need skids, you're going to need ATO or BB. If you don't need those, you don't need skids.

8. Nov 15, 2010 at 6:24 PM
    fsbrain03

Member:
    Why risk it? Better to spend the money to get good skids, than pay for big repairs later. I tried to wheel without skids, because my factory ones got ripped off. That repair is costing me more than half of what I just paid for Budbuilt skids.

9. Nov 15, 2010 at 7:08 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    from budbuilts website

"2. Material choices galore! Want skids, sliders, crossmembers in a different material than the regular stuff? We can make most of our products in mild steel, thinner/lighter gauge steel, stainless steel and aluminum. Some products work better as a hybrid of steel and aluminum for a strong but lighter alternative. We have built most of our products in these materials and can do so for you so let us know what you'd like and we can get it built. "

10. Nov 15, 2010 at 7:13 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    X2^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

11. Nov 15, 2010 at 7:28 PM
    fsbrain03

Member:
    Here's the key: serious damage! That means damage was involved. From reading this; it looks like if a skidplate was installed, there would have been NO damage.

12. Nov 16, 2010 at 9:07 PM
    allpro

allpro Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    All Kinds Of Toyotas!!!
    For the record, our skids, as with all our products, are strong, yet relatively light weight, offering the best balance for optimal off-road function. We have yet to hear of our skid plate not protecting as intended. Yes, they may get banged up themselves, but they serve their purpose as intended. Why weigh down an already heavy truck any more than necessary? Also, our skids provide the most amount of ground clearance possible, whereas low hanging skids need to be thickier since they come in contact with obstacles more often. Our products are arguably the most trail tested products out there - from the Rubicon, to Moab, and even the Hammers!

13. Nov 17, 2010 at 6:06 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I have the same paint scrapes on the stock skid and my sliders. I've ripped a mirror off and scraped some paint on the bottom of my bumper . That's it.

So your assumption is mostly wrong. Yeah...Having the skids means I would have had srapes on the skids not the stock plate...but skids don't protect ubolts, bumpers, sliders, or body panels. And if we want to key on words- I said I've done moderate wheeling and done minimal anything to my truck...and the OP wants to drive on fire roads.

Adding 100+ lbs of steel to the truck for fireroads is overkill imho.

14. Nov 17, 2010 at 6:24 AM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    Before I installed my skids I used two of the stock steel plates for cheap protection. Just put one on top of the other.

They are easy to get as most people take them off to install real skids.

15. Nov 17, 2010 at 6:27 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    x2. If anything I'd look at sliders to protect sticks you run over from kicking up and hitting the sides of the truck.

16. Nov 17, 2010 at 6:27 AM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (.85), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    I gotta agree wholeheartedly here. I've got the DC LB SR5 and spend a lot of time off-road on fire roads, forest roads, and trails up to mines/lakes in the high mountains. If the rocks are tall, I take it really slow to keep the vehicle from dropping off and bouncing down too far (since I don't have skids). The ONLY damage I've had done to the underside (we won't count scratches down the sides or on the mirrors) is when I was crossing a creek. Dropped a little too far and dented the stock skid plate in the front from a rock (but the dent is about the size of a silver dollar because I was taking it slow). Wish I had skids, but you can get by without them in these situations.

17. Nov 17, 2010 at 9:09 AM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Arctic Prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    North Pole, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    Money pit.
    And this is based on what experience?

Cause I just looked at your build thread, and I don't see a freakin' scratch on that stock skid plate.

18. Nov 17, 2010 at 9:34 AM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    All the people on here and the folks I have wheeled with (some overlap) that have killed All-poo skids.

Ask around.

Yeah...workin' on gettin' this thing built up. And all the research is what's led me to shy away from All-Pro. Too many tales of their stuff giving up the ghost.

Also, it's kind of fun to flex jhodge83's All-Pro sliders by hand. Granted they've since figured out that gussets are mandatory, not optional, but the fact they made the blunder in the first place tells me all I need to know about 'em.

19. Nov 17, 2010 at 9:41 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously though myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevos Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Scaffolding and a painted grill
    Wheel hard enough and you'll eventually break anything.

The OP isn't talking about wheeling. The stock truck is fine on fire roads.

20. Nov 17, 2010 at 9:42 AM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Arctic Prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    North Pole, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    Money pit.
    Nice talk gents, but heresay is just that. Get out, use your shit, take some pics, and get back to me. See my sig.

The sliders don't flex if you mount them correctly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dragging the truck, with the winch, on the skid...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To Top