1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

noob needs help with 4wd

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by drshirk, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Sep 10, 2010 at 6:36 PM
    drshirk

drshirk [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Hi all,
    I bought a used 2002 2.7 tacoma from my younger brother who didn't really take care of it. I bought it to fix the problems and use it as a second vehicle. M?y question is this. It has a shifter on the floor to engage 4wd but I can't tell if the 4wd works. No light on the dash either. I asked my brother and he said he doesn't think 4wd ever worked when he bought it from whoever he bought it from. What can I do test the 4wd? When I move the shifter I don't hear anything and like I said no light on dash comes on. I never owned a 4wd vehicle so I don't really know how it is "supposed" work.

Thanks.

2. Sep 10, 2010 at 6:43 PM
    CopDoctor

CopDoctor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 335i
    BMS Intake, JB4 chip, Plastidip everywhere
    shift into 4wd and turn hard left or right. if the front works, you're tires bill buck and you'll feel it pretty good. if it feels like normal something's no engaged

3. Sep 10, 2010 at 8:01 PM
    drshirk

Member:
    Thanks CopDoctor,

I 'll give it a try in the morning.

4. Sep 10, 2010 at 8:08 PM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    Go to a complete stop, but your truck in neutral and move the knob to 4H and the light on the Dash should come on to let you know you are in 4wd and what he said ^ about turning and bucking on a street.

5. Sep 11, 2010 at 3:58 PM
    drshirk

Member:
    Ok so I tried your suggestions and it didn't work. Wierd thing is I can put the truck in 2H or 4L but when I pull the shifter down for 4H it wont go in. I tried pulling the shifter down hard but it won't budge.

When I put it in 4L on the street it feels like it is working cause it feels like the truck is going real slow and and being "held back" is the best way I can describe it.

But even in 4L when I take off in gravel in the driveway the back wheels spin but not the front.

What next to try? Do I need to have it looked at or does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks all.

6. Sep 11, 2010 at 4:27 PM
    CopDoctor

CopDoctor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 335i
    BMS Intake, JB4 chip, Plastidip everywhere
    well 4L is just that, low gears..so max speed in first gear is like 4mpg. i'd have it checked out assuming you're doing everything correctly

7. Sep 11, 2010 at 5:45 PM
    scocar

scocar Scouting the perimeter for weakness

Member:
    First Name:
    Dick
    In close proximity to an undisclosed location
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    Back to square one after the 2001. So...
    Hey, don't go testing this on pavement and turning hard to "make it buck." That is an excellent way to fuck it up even more and get stuck. Do your testing on dirt or gravel, or dead straight in an empty parking lot.

I had a 93 in which the 4wd light stopped working, but it still defintely went into 4wd. I never tried to fix the light, because I could tell when it was working. Then, suddenly, the light started working again one day...

1. Do you have the owner's manual?

2. Is this an automatic or manual transmission?

3. Does the transfer case shifter have a "4wd" button on the side of the knob and only move in a straight line, or no button and move in a J pattern? Sounds like the latter, but worth asking to be sure.

To Top