1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Noob question. 2013 OEM Radio quit working? Repalcement?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Toyadk57, Dec 30, 2021.

1. Dec 30, 2021 at 12:27 PM
    Toyadk57

Toyadk57 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma 4x4
    Sorry, new to this forum. Apologize if this topic has been covered before. Tried searching site, but I am not very tech savvy.
    Maybe a simple answer to this.
    Original radio quit picking up most stations, only picks up local ones that are close by and even those tend to fade in and out.
    Called Toyota dealer asked about getting a replacement OEM( NO Nav system, just radio and CD player) and was told it was over $3000. WTF?
    Looked on ebay, etc and can find a used replacement OEM for about $200 to $300. Same model as confirmed by the #s on the face plate of the radio.
    My real concern is that if I get a used radio will it have to be reprogrammed or something to make it work? Has anyone done this? How big of a job is it. You tubed it and just the physical replacement doesn't look to bad.
    Suggestions? Comments? Other Threads? Thanks for any help.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Dec 30, 2021 at 12:34 PM
    rnish

rnish Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Maryland (USA)
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2nd gen
    King's, Camburg UCA, Dirt King LCA, armor
    Try unplugging the antenna clean the contacts and plug it back in.

Suggest buyin the new radio from somewhere that does installation.

ZMan2k2 likes this.
  3. Dec 30, 2021 at 2:51 PM
    ZMan2k2

ZMan2k2 “Hold my beer and watch this!”

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    Agree with rnish. If you’re stuck on an OEM unit, it is possible to DIY, I’ve not heard that the factory radios need reprogramming. An aftermarket unit would no doubt provide better functionality and sound however.

4. Jan 6, 2022 at 10:39 PM
    fizik

fizik Accidental Offroader

Member:
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCSB SR5, '10 DCSB TRD OffRoad (deceased)
    I too would also suggest checking the antenna connection. You also may have a break in the antenna wire, most likely at the antenna mount. As far as a new HU goes, a factory HU is gonna cost you an arm and a leg installed. I saw a used one on eBay selling for ~$350 (total rip off IMO). I just replaced the stock HU in my 2013 with this https://www.joyingauto.com/joying-8...r-upgrade-system-support-hands-free-call.html and it was easy to install. However, they don't provide a lot of instruction, but there are plenty of install videos on youtube. It comes with a harness that matches all your stock connectors, and a fascia specifically for the Tacoma, so there is no wire splicing and nothing extra to buy (well, almost, you'll need one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F0YJ49O?ie=UTF8 if you want to connect to the stock USB port). See this thread if interested: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/2nd-gen-joying-head-unit-thread.706997/

If you want it professionally installed, a pro can do it in under an hour (probably closer to 15 minutes).

Have to say, I like mine so far. Even works with the steering wheel controls.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Jan 6, 2022 at 11:01 PM
    YotaGangYotaGang

YotaGangYotaGang PreRunners are wannabe 4x4’s

Member:
    Covina
    Vehicle:
    95, 97, 01 Tacoma | 06 Tundra | 07 FJ Cruiser | 08 Prius
    A rtt i never use and 30 light bars
    id get a apple carplay touchscreen if i was gonna do it, but i understand oem needs.

Products Discussed in

To Top