1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Nooooo!!!!!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by fireturk41, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Jun 27, 2009 at 4:35 PM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 [OP] I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    i hafta let jiffy lube change my oil this time :'( somehow my oil drain plug torqued itself down and i came this close to stripping it >< so i wanna
    let them do it

but im bringing my own oil and filter and watching them like hawks

2. Jun 27, 2009 at 4:37 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
  3. Jun 27, 2009 at 4:39 PM
    Untamed_SS

Untamed_SS Stayed Up Too Late

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue Access Cab
    Alpine iDA-X200 Deck, Rockford P3, Infinity 1600 A Amp, Black Badges, "KnightRider Mod", Back-up lights. Painted Engine Cover. TRD QuickShifter & Shift Knob. MAF Calibrator. Doug Thorley LT Headers. Custom Y-Pipe. Flowmaster 50 series. Satoshi Grill
    lol. making someone strip your drain plug? Did I read that correctly?

Thats kinda funny... :D

4. Jun 27, 2009 at 4:40 PM
    TicTacOma

TicTacOma UnderWater Monopoly Champion

Member:
    First Name:
    Anastatia Beaverhausen
    Columbia,SC
    Vehicle:
    I'm Thinking...Oh Yeah...An FJ
    It's all in my head at the moment...
    Try tightening it first.....

5. Jun 27, 2009 at 4:41 PM
    fireturk41

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    haha just want them to get the summabitch off, hopefully without stripping it...but just in case...theyd be liable

6. Jun 27, 2009 at 4:41 PM
    fireturk41

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    its tight as hell

7. Jun 27, 2009 at 4:44 PM
    TicTacOma

Member:
    First Name:
    Anastatia Beaverhausen
    Columbia,SC
    Vehicle:
    But trying to put more torque to it might/will break the bond. Old Air Force trick.

Besides...when that 16 year old pit monkey spins it off without a problem, you'll have a great seat in the "Failed Hall Of Fame".

8. Jun 27, 2009 at 4:46 PM
    Untamed_SS

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Alpine iDA-X200 Deck, Rockford P3, Infinity 1600 A Amp, Black Badges, "KnightRider Mod", Back-up lights. Painted Engine Cover. TRD QuickShifter & Shift Knob. MAF Calibrator. Doug Thorley LT Headers. Custom Y-Pipe. Flowmaster 50 series. Satoshi Grill
    I did that when I was a diesel mechanic. Using an impact, tighten it before loosening it. :) Worked a lot of the time.

9. Jun 27, 2009 at 9:36 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    as a mechanic, I hate people like you..they knowingly come in with a problem, then make us do it, then what do ya know, were buying them an oil pan..dont be a jerkoff and have them be liable for YOUR fuckup, doing the last oil change.

10. Jun 27, 2009 at 9:41 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    When was the last time you changed your oil?

Sounds like you need some time at the gym to build up them muscles. :eek::p

(just kidding)

11. Jun 27, 2009 at 10:06 PM
    lawnrevenge

lawnrevenge Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    08 regular cab 5-lug, automatic
    +1
    This is the main reason I decided to not be a mechanic. People that only bring their car in after they screw it up. I do all my work, unless I can't afford the tools to do it right (transmission, front end on my old bug, alignment, tires) If I'm bringing my truck in it's never because I screwed it up and I wanted to have the shop take the blame. I stripped the drain plug threads on my VW GTI (aluminum pan) and ended up replacing the $450 oil pan my self, wouldn't have even considered screwing over a shop. If I did have a problem where I needed a pro to fix it I would be straight forward with them.

12. Jun 27, 2009 at 10:24 PM
    fireturk41

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    i know im sorry im trying again myself tomorrow but its my mom tellin me to do it. i dont wanna be an asshat but i also like having a truck to drive, i but all suggestions to help me get it off are appreciated

no i dont like doing it, and no i wouldnt mind replacing my oil pan if i screw it up, but also because im not 18 and my mom wont finance this mistake i have to do what i have to do. i earn the price of an oil pan in about a months pay

13. Jun 27, 2009 at 10:26 PM
    fireturk41

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    5k miles ago i tried at 3k and gave up cause it was like this, tried again when i had to and its still stuck, i always tighten it hand tight then a quarter turn, is that too much?

14. Jun 27, 2009 at 11:46 PM
    TicTacOma

Member:
    First Name:
    Anastatia Beaverhausen
    Columbia,SC
    Vehicle:
    It's your Mom's suggestion....Have your Mom take it to get the oil changed. Then you can blame 2 people.

Take it to the dealer, the quick lube the service depts offer are about the same money as a jiffy type place. Explain to them the problem. Yours will not be the first stuck drain plug they have seen. If the jiffy place strips it out, they are going to band-aid without your knowledge just to get you the hell out of their shop and take that chance you'll be back.

If it does strip out and you drive down the road and the oil "falls" out and you end up blowing the engine, think of the time wasted with your truck down, plus you may get them to replace the motor but it won't be with a shiney new crate motor.

Maybe Mom is stronger, hand her the wrench. Are you using just a box end wrench, ratchet and socket, deep or shallow? It's all about leverage. You'll get more leverage standing on your feet with the truck on a lift than you (or Mom) on your/her back in the driveway.

Don't set up and blame the poor unsuspecting slob. What if your Mom tags your truck in the driveway some night unbeknown to you. She clams up and you don't notice it till a day or two later. You approach her on this and she just shrugs her shoulders and shakes her head. Same thing.

All actions have consequences. Think about it. I'm assuming you have something to do with the fire service looking at your name. Have any strapping lads at the firehouse to help? Any tools there? Think, Think, Think.

15. Jun 28, 2009 at 4:47 AM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

ChrisYoTaCoMa Chrome's for Harleys and old farts

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    00 Taco 4x4 Ex cab 2.7 sr5 AT
    New Pioneer stereo, and all 4 speakers with Infinity components. Sirius satellite radio. Deckplate mod done. Door buzzer silenced forever thank God, tinted windows, vent visors, hood protector(bug guard), ceramic pads and new rotors, dechromed EVERYTHING. 2" Lift front 3" rear. Skyjacker AAL's and replacement leafs(and front spacers) from Fatbobsgarage.com. Skyjacker 7000 Hydro rear shocks, those Bilstein 5100 fronts are coming soon!
    Ditto... That's BS trying to F someone over because of your incompetence. Even Jiffy lube shouldn't get screwed like that. My moms Jeep's plug was put in by friggin Arnold Shwarzenegger the last time I changed it for her. I just put the breaker bar on it and cranked it off. Use some muscle. Get the wrench to hold on the bolt and use your foot to turn it. But trying to shove the problem off to someone else then make them be liable is F'ed up dude.......

Karma will get you in the end if you do that.

16. Jun 28, 2009 at 5:59 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    That's a general *rule of thumb* for your oil filter.

17. Jun 28, 2009 at 6:04 AM
    dud122

dud122 rabble rabble rabble

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Riverdale Park, MD
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DC
    OME up front, Dakar in the back, Elite front bumper, Warn winch, Tactical rear bumper with tire swing/jerry cans/hi lift, Revenge Fab. sliders, Tundra brakes, Camburg UCA's, Safari Snorkle, FJ TRD wheels, Lights, CB, Switches, skids, LED's... OH MY!
    hahaha.... man i bet you weren't expecting all this when you started this thread :crapstorm:

18. Jun 28, 2009 at 6:33 AM
    Untamed_SS

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    LoL. Probably not. :)

19. Jun 28, 2009 at 7:15 AM
    Killer Red Taco

Killer Red Taco NorCal Rock Whore

Member:
    First Name:
    Whatsurname
    BFE–Norcal
    Vehicle:
    007 Tacoma A/C TRD O/R Impulse Red 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 on front at 1.75 setting • 5100 on back• K&N Air Filter• TRD Seat Covers• Day Time Running Lights• Foglights Anytime• Hella 500 lights in grille• Rear TSB Springs• Alternative Locker Mod• CB and 4 ft firestick II• Billet Grille• Kid puke in the back!• 265/75R16 Goodyear MT/R• 16" Devino wheels• Hose Clamp Mod• Revenge Fab Sliders• No Sway Bar• A Hottie as Copilot
    Ok thisis real simple.

Go down to the dealer and buy a new drain plug, because your gonna fawk up yours. No way around it.

Then Lock a pair Visegrips [​IMG] to the drainplug. And I mean tight as all get out. If you cant break it loose hit it with a hammer for bit. Also you can tap the plug a little too, this will help break it loose.

The Vise grips will screw up the plug but will get the old one out.

20. Jun 28, 2009 at 7:59 AM
    lawnrevenge

lawnrevenge Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    08 regular cab 5-lug, automatic
    The vise grip method is a good one. If a box wrench will still grip good, try that with a 3' length of pipe over it to improve leverage. That is how I remove calipers on my Taco and my dad's taco. Mot sure why but those bolts seem to tighten to ungodly tightness overtime. if that doesn't work. use a bigger hammer. I use a 10lb sledge. a slow heavy swing will apply force over a longer amount of time than a fast less heavy swing. Under your truck swinging a hammer will be a pain in the ass. Either way buy a new drain plug and replace the bad one.

If all else fails take it stiffy lube with that new drain plug and crush washer and explain whats happened. They'll be able to get it off, and if you have a nice shiny plug for them they won't put the bad one back in.

Only if you strip the threads would a new oil pan be a possible need.

Remember...leverage

Products Discussed in

To Top