1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

NorCal Skiing and BS Thread

Discussion in 'Northern California' started by Justin, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Oct 31, 2013 at 9:20 PM
    Justin

Justin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD-OR
    285/75/17 on SCS 6's. ADS front & rear w/ adjusters. Relentless front bumper & roof rack. BAMF sliders
    Realized that the heading should be Skiing/Snowboarding... Sorry guys. But anyways.
    So I know we all love our Tacoma's more than life itself, but I figured for those of us who live for winter, or even just enjoy it in their leisure time, there could be a thread. Maybe coordinate trips and see who goes where, etc. I'll start off

I ski and have for about 15 years. I do everything from big mountain to back country powder.:D

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  2. Oct 31, 2013 at 11:44 PM
    fatcircles

fatcircles Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2000 UZJ100
    I bought my 2001 Tacoma last night specifically for Tahoe! I am super pumped and will definitely be posting in this thread a lot! Happy to meet some new people as well.

3. Nov 1, 2013 at 12:41 AM
    thebaker

thebaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Byron
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Upgraded to a 3rd gen
    Never ending......$$$
    Can't wait for it to dump in Tahoe!!!! I have a season pass for northstar but can use it at heavenly and I believe Kirkwood too......we should definitely get a group going...

4. Nov 1, 2013 at 6:16 AM
    Justin

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD-OR
    285/75/17 on SCS 6's. ADS front & rear w/ adjusters. Relentless front bumper & roof rack. BAMF sliders
    Nice! I am guessing you have the Tahoe Local or something along those lines from Vail Resort? I know Vail Resorts owns Northstar, Kirkwood, and Heavenly out here. I am going to get the same pass. So excited!

Nice!! Have you found the other NorCal threads as well?

5. Nov 1, 2013 at 9:13 AM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    I have the Tahoe local pass too. Let me know if you guys head up.

However....skiing makes me board :rimshot:

6. Nov 1, 2013 at 10:44 AM
    Justin

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD-OR
    I'll definitely let you know. Which one do you usually go to?

7. Nov 1, 2013 at 11:23 AM
    jberry813

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    Heavenly is 5 minutes from my house.
    I love Northstar especially lookout mountain. Just depends on the day of the week I guess. I refuse to ride on holidays/holiday weekends.

8. Nov 1, 2013 at 12:00 PM
    SCRunner12

SCRunner12 Tundra Troll

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra DC, TRD, 4wd
    I'm definitely ready for this year. I go primarily to Dodge Ridge since my family has a cabin there and I got a season pass this year. I'm down to head up to Tahoe though to ride some new mountains.

9. Nov 1, 2013 at 12:02 PM
    Justin

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD-OR
    That's awesome. You do more big mountain/back country right? Yeah I have off 2 week days and 1 weekend day typically so I will be up there during the week. Are you pretty flexible with your work hours?

Where roughly is Dodge Ridge?

10. Nov 1, 2013 at 1:40 PM
    SCRunner12

SCRunner12 Tundra Troll

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra DC, TRD, 4wd
    It's up near Sonora and about 2.5-3 hours from the Bay. Pinecrest is the town closest to it if you want to look it up. It's a smaller mountain, but fun.

11. Nov 1, 2013 at 2:58 PM
    TDubber

TDubber Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Pinole, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB MT
    Sweet ones.
    I just moved to the bay area from Pennsylvania (lived there my whole life) and have been suffering with the Pocono "mountains" forever. I have been lucky enough to have frequented Salt Lake City and Breck over the years. I love deep pow and steep terrain, so I'll be trying to hit up Tahoe every weekend I can.

I only have off on the weekends, so with that in mind where would you natives suggest? I hate crowds. Don't mind driving the extra distance for less people/better snow. I have a feeling everyone and their mom drives up to Tahoe on the weekends, so if there's an "off the beaten path" type of spot, I'd be happy there. From the research I've done Kirkwood is pretty good?

This is the first real winter I'll experience in my taco. Last year in PA I think we saw 10-15 inches of snow all year... pretty lame.

If there's a trip organized or something or if you guys just go up for the day/weekend, I'd be down. I'm freaking pumped!

12. Nov 1, 2013 at 9:41 PM
    Justin

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD-OR
    I might have to check that out. I am always up for trying new places.

hey man! Dude I freaking LOVE BRECK!!! I grew up in Boulder and that place was my 2nd home. No other greater feeling than skiing powder at 12k feet.

I am the same way man. I freaking hate crowds. I just jump in the singles line all day. Do you ski or board? And I take it you do powder and some bowls or what?
    If you wanna organize a trip just say the word. I am always up for some epic skiing. Regarding which mountain is less populated, that I don't know yet. But as soon as I find out I will let you know. I am going to try Kirkwood, Squaw, Alpine, Homewood, Boreal, Northstar, and Heavenly this year and see what happens.

13. Nov 2, 2013 at 3:32 AM
    ffdawson

ffdawson Dirt Head

Member:
    Penngrove
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Rugged Trail 6spd
    Kings, Armor, big taaaarrrs
    Kirkwooooooooooood!
    Let's hope for a good season. Come on snow!

14. Nov 2, 2013 at 8:46 AM
    jberry813

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    I don't do back country. I'm not opposed to it, I just ride solo a lot. I prefer to stay withing reason of someone else possibly finding me if I knock myself out.

I'm salaried and my work is pretty flexible and can make up my hours anytime. I work from home and my boss "understands" when big storms come in. I start late sometimes or take off at 1:00 and shred for 3 hours.

Kirkwood is...epic. Its a fantastic resort and normally escapes the crowds because...it can be a looooong drive if it's chain control or even shutdown relatively easy.
    Squaw....I personally am not a fan. HUGE resort no doubt, but with that comes a huge following. And it's in a wind tunnel and lifts get shut down all the damn time. I had season passes to Squaw/Alpine one year and ended up riding Alpine far more just because Squaw was under wind hold so much and the lines were ridiculous. Alpine is a quaint fun little resort. Nothing to write home about, but has some good terrain.
    If you like awesome views of the lake, Homewood's where it's at. Much smaller resort, good for kids.
    Boreal is a park resort. It's what they are known for. Dominated by snowboarders, but they do night skiing on the front side and stay open till 8:00 pm
    Northstar is one of my favorite resorts. World class parks. Most vertical drop runs out on Lookout Mountain including both groomies and not. Can get psychotic on weekends. If you ride there on a weekend, go to the backside or lookout and stay there.
    Heavenly has something for everyone. Best snowmaking in all of Tahoe. My suggestion if you go there is to stay on one side or the other. Either ride NV side or ride CA side. There are some trick ways to get to each side but you gotta know them. Otherwise you'll be stuck in the flats. Also....there may be some secret "trees" a little off piste in Heavenly that have many things to offer to help...enhance or recharge your skiing experience. :D

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  15. Nov 2, 2013 at 9:11 AM
    whiteboy

whiteboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD sport
    Kings, alcans, 33's blah blah read my build thread in sig
    Got to ride north star with my friends brother in law who is a sponsored snowboarder. Dude showed us shit that changed my life lol. Most epic day of riding I had ever done.

16. Nov 2, 2013 at 9:21 AM
    teneighty

teneighty I'd rather be skiing...

Member:
    Right behind you. NY
    Vehicle:
    18’ F150 SCREW LB 3.5 EcoBoost
    Bilstein 5100’s (x4), 275/65/20 Cooper XLT AT3’s
    Come out to Alta/Snowbird end of Feb!!! Be cool to rip with some guys from TW! I've skied Squaw and Heavenly. Its a cool area out there. It would be a sick place to live.

17. Nov 2, 2013 at 9:41 AM
    Justin

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD-OR
    Sweet! Yeah whenever you wanna go just let me know.

That is an awesome write up on the resorts up here man. I was hoping you would chime in and give your .02.
    I am definitely going to hit up all of the major ones though. I tend to stick to the back bowls and some of the chutes/trees. I will hike though from a lift on up to the ridgeline with other people though. Haven't really done much myself just because of the safey hazard. But I do have a beacon, probe, and shovel for the crazy stuff.

Dude you gotta show me! I am always up for finding new places.

Ahh I wish! Maybe for a day. I am driving out to CO in FEB to go to a ski trip with some buddies.

18. Nov 2, 2013 at 9:56 AM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    Maybe another TW cabin meet is in order? Someone plan it. Not it!

I can only go boarding on the weekends and during school holidays like winter break!! Paging Jason! I'm staying at your place

19. Nov 2, 2013 at 1:24 PM
    whiteboy

whiteboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD sport
    Kings, alcans, 33's blah blah read my build thread in sig
    Travis I would but I'm moving and won't be riding this winter.

20. Nov 2, 2013 at 1:45 PM
    Justin

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD-OR
    wahhh? Where are you moving to?

Products Discussed in

To Top