1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Norcal Spotted and BS Thread

Discussion in 'Northern California' started by PreRunnerSeth, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Aug 30, 2018 at 9:18 AM
    foxrcing07

foxrcing07 KO7FOX

Member:
    First Name:
    Morgan
    Modesto, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Raptard 2001 TJ
    Dirt
    I'd have done the same, just because I hate it when people do stupid shit like that I lost a friend who passed someone on the right because she couldn't wait a few extra minutes for the passing lane

otis24 likes this.
  2. Aug 30, 2018 at 10:26 AM
    roguegs

roguegs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angelo
    Vehicle:
    V8 T4R
    Went from 3rd Gen Taco to 3GT4R to 2nd Gen Taco and finally a V8 4GT4R.
    Hey fellas, just wanted to get some of your guys' input on contract working arrangements? I have an opportunity to go for a contract/contract to hire role for a couple well known companies that pay nearly triple what I am getting now with some having the opportunity to telecommute. I'm not particularly fond of my current work right now because I work in a small office with no other dudes in the office so no one to really talk to on lunches/breaks about guy shit (before any of y'all say anything I work with old ladies lol).

I haven't taken on a contract/contract to hire role but it seems as though that is becoming somewhat of a norm within the private sector. I recruit people for these roles but I personally have doubts about the duration of the contract.

K_Sandhu likes this.
  3. Aug 30, 2018 at 10:30 AM
    2BeersPlease

2BeersPlease Well-Known Member

Member:
    I thought maybe running around all the time in 4lo would help.

4. Aug 30, 2018 at 10:34 AM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Now here's something you should definitely have to go into the DMV for inspection.

HAVING FUN and Bentrodder like this.
  5. Aug 30, 2018 at 10:49 AM
    CalTacoma09

CalTacoma09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Manteca, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Barcelona Red
    A lot of crap and too much money spent

These items sound good, but like you mention a contract can have limits then your looking again.

6. Aug 30, 2018 at 11:00 AM
    roguegs

Member:
    First Name:
    Angelo
    Vehicle:
    V8 T4R
    It certainly does have its limitations which is why I am hesitant to move from my "permanent" (at will) job for a contract or C2H opportunity. However, combining the pay with telecommute options are two of the biggest things that I had originally wanted or are wanting to move towards.

Imagine...building your rig up to the point where you can just have cell boosters and just drive across country working lol

7. Aug 30, 2018 at 11:06 AM
    CalTacoma09

CalTacoma09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Manteca, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Barcelona Red
    A lot of crap and too much money spent
    I agree, the ability to telecommute is huge in my opinion. It means that you can live in a less expensive area and make bay area wages, basically increasing your salary even more.
    if I was single and no kids. I would take the chance.

8. Aug 30, 2018 at 11:08 AM
    roguegs

Member:
    First Name:
    Angelo
    Vehicle:
    V8 T4R
    Which is actually one of the plans I had for my next opportunity anyways. I was planning on moving to the 209/916 for cost of living and telecommuting. I would even be willing to go onsite 2 days a week just to alleviate some of the concern about being 100% remote. The company also has a reputation within the biopharma space so hopefully I can lock something down.

9. Aug 30, 2018 at 11:14 AM
    K_Sandhu

K_Sandhu Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Karan
    Castro Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double cab TRD off-road 4x4 long bed
    Do it bro! If I were you, I would definitely jump on that opportunity.

siznarf and CalTacoma09 like this.
  10. Aug 30, 2018 at 11:19 AM
    roguegs

Member:
    First Name:
    Angelo
    Vehicle:
    V8 T4R
    I am going to. I'm tired of sitting in traffic for a little over an hour just to sit down more in the office and be miserable because no office culture and then drive a little over an hour back home just to be so tired that I don't want to do anything else lol

My last gig I was commuting 5 hours a day in total. The commute hours suck your life away. Impossible to keep any work-life balance without some possibility of working remote.

11. Aug 30, 2018 at 11:58 AM
    K_Sandhu

Member:
    First Name:
    Karan
    Castro Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    I know exactly what you mean and I don't understand people when they say bay area has negative influx of people....I am like what the fuck you have been smoking???? Look at the freeways...doesn't matter which one, they are always packed....takes 2 hrs go 20 miles.
    If you are sick of your job, you can always own your own business and work as much as you want. :boink:

CalTacoma09 and Anderson like this.
  12. Aug 30, 2018 at 12:00 PM
    roguegs

Member:
    First Name:
    Angelo
    Vehicle:
    V8 T4R
    As much as I would love to own my own business, I am not creative enough to offer a product that would be so different it would be beneficial lol I thought about starting something up on TW by making some shit for our trucks but I don't know what people want.

K_Sandhu[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Aug 30, 2018 at 12:01 PM
    K_Sandhu

Member:
    First Name:
    Karan
    Castro Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    Start small...it doesn't have to be big. As long as you enjoy the journey that is what matters. I am sure there are plenty of people on TW who just started with small items and grew to doing bigger things. Make something...I will buy it lol

FirstTimeFirstGen likes this.
  14. Aug 30, 2018 at 12:09 PM
    otis24

otis24 Hard Shell Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    California
    Vehicle:
    OtisBound Outdoors Bodonkadonk
    OtisBound Bodonkadonk

Commuting blows. I used to live in Pacifica and work in North San Jose. I did that for a year. Never, ever again. Now I have an 18 mile reverse commute from Campbell to Fremont and I work from 5:45am - 3:15pm. It's no more than 30 minutes. If I ride the motorcycle it's much much less.

If you can work from home in a place you want to work that is huge.

CalTacoma09 and K_Sandhu like this.
  15. Aug 30, 2018 at 12:31 PM
    rob1208

rob1208 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tacoma DCSB MGM TRD OR
    TRD Supercharger AFE CAI ProDryS ADS 2.5 Remote Resi Shocks ADS Rear Piggy Back 10" Travel Shocks ADS 2.0 Rear Hydro Bump Kit Deaver U402 Leaf Pack + Add a Leaf MCM Fab Uniball UCAs TC Spindle Gussets BAMF 100% Bolt On Sliders BAMF 1/4" Steel Skid Trilogy BAMF Diff Diaper Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper with Warn VR10000-s Winch Brute Force Fab High Clearance Dual Swingout Rear Bumper Custom Car Grills Mesh Grill Insert Stealth Custom Series SR8 - Matte Black 16x8 285/75/16 Toyo Tires Open Country AT2 Relentless Fabrication Ditch Light Bracket Mounts 2x2 Ditch Lights Apex Fab Works Flush Lower Grill Light Bar Mounts Caliraised 32" Light Bar Tech Deck Extreme Vagabond Outdoors Drifter
    I dont know your situation (married, kids, etc) but I did C2H at my current employer and have never looked back. I started on a 6 month contract and just busted my ass. Once my manager had room to add another full time employee, she had me do the formal interview but the position was essentially mine.

The only thing I would pay close attention to is who would be your employer. I worked for a 3rd party agency that placed me at my company but I worked for the 3rd party recruiter. My company uses many different 3rd party recruiting agencies but some of these companies have stipulations with my company. One stipulation some of them have is that that my employer cannot hire one of their contract employees unless the employee has left their agency for at least a year. As long as you don't have any stipulations like that, i'd say go for it.

Also, remember even though you'd be making more $, you gotta factor in getting your own health insurance and what not (shouldn't be that bad if its just you but if you have kids, could get expensive and offset the cost). I'd still say do it

16. Aug 30, 2018 at 12:34 PM
    lucky13don

lucky13don Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Milton, fl
    Vehicle:
    R.I.P.04 tacoma prerunner, 04 sequoia 4x4
    Too many to list
    Put as much cash aside as you can and go for it. I busted ass for a company for 17yrs. I got 28 days notice before they closed the doors and a hand shake. All the holidays, birthdays, etc I missed. For nothing. Put 3 months worth of bill money in the bank and go for it..

17. Aug 30, 2018 at 12:36 PM
    roguegs

Member:
    First Name:
    Angelo
    Vehicle:
    V8 T4R
    Not married, no kids, so I think it would be a good idea to at least try to go through the interview process. I will ask about the 3rd party information. The remote contract role is through an agency but the contract to hire is through the client company themselves. For the 3rd party company, fortunately, they offer some health insurance and other benefits as well.

18. Aug 30, 2018 at 12:42 PM
    roguegs

Member:
    First Name:
    Angelo
    Vehicle:
    V8 T4R
    I have a good chunk saved up already but that was going to be saved up potentially for a house but its still not enough to afford a studio condo here in the Bay.

K_Sandhu likes this.
  19. Aug 30, 2018 at 12:45 PM
    lucky13don

lucky13don Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Milton, fl
    Vehicle:
    R.I.P.04 tacoma prerunner, 04 sequoia 4x4
    Too many to list
    Brother, we're gone to Tennessee in 2yrs. Looking at house right now. Found one on 6.28 acres with a pond. 4 bed/ 2.5 bath. 45 min north of Nashville for 290k..

Holloman, Don5352, nDub and 3 others like this.
  20. Aug 30, 2018 at 12:45 PM
    Twizted

Twizted 1GR FE

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    America
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCLB TRD Locked 4WD & '17 Tundra DC SR5 TRD Offroad
    stock af, but hover if you think you disagree... RV living: Vagabond Drifter (6' bed) Custom bed cabinet buildout 175w Renogy solar panel 40a Rich Solar MPPT solar controller 1000w Wagan Pure Line inverter Lavaner Pro 2kw diesel heat exchanger Suspension/wheels: Toytec Aluma 2.5 front shocks with resis 13x700 coils (soon 14x700) Toytec Aluma 2.5 rear shocks SPC UCAs Deaver Stage 3 rear leaf springs Wheeler's 3 degree axle shims Wheeler's U-bolt flip Wheeler's Super Bumpstops 18"x9" XD Monster (x5) 275/75/18 Cooper ST MAXX (x5) EBC Stage 3 pads/rotors Electronics: Kenwood DNX773S iDatalink - Maestro RR Stubby Antenna No-name Switchback LEDs Hella Sharptone horns (no relay) Relocated backup camera w/DIY bracket Armor/recovery: BruteForceFab Rear HC w/swingout BAMF Sliders (DOM, 10 degree w/kick out, rattle-canned) BAMF IFS Skid (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF Mid Skid (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF TC Skid (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF LCA Skids (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF Rear Diff Skid (early model, powder-coated) BAMF CMC Plates US Offroad Winch Bumper Smittybilt X20 10k synthetic rope winch Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners ARB compressor w/air-up kit DIY cowl snorkel ARB rear air-locker Interior: Husky Floor Liners (F&R) Rear 40% seat-delete Hinged fridge platform in place of rear seat Exterior: CaliRaised Low-profile Ditch Light Brackets CaliRaised Side-projecting LED pods CaliRaised Faux TRD Pro Grille Morimoto amber LED fog lights One-of-a-kind 1GRFE plate (second iteration) Removed: OEM Bed Mat CaliRaised bed molle panels
    I contracted for about 5 years before they converted me to a fulltime employee (three years ago).
    Since #wifey has better medical coverage (she works for Blue Shield), those benefits of being an employee never really mattered, but the vacation time is something to consider.

rob1208 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top