1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Norcal Spotted and BS Thread

Discussion in 'Northern California' started by PreRunnerSeth, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Jan 12, 2019 at 10:07 PM
    FirstTimeFirstGen

FirstTimeFirstGen Less active than most

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Pacifica
    Vehicle:
    2004 4WD 3.4L Tacoma (Manual)
    Not enough to have a build thread.
    Why? Rebuilding them is more cost effective than replacing

2. Jan 12, 2019 at 10:15 PM
    Taco-Obsessed

Taco-Obsessed Wildlife Peeping Tom

Member:
    hmm. I could replace myself, but cant rebuild myself. Being without my truck while they are being rebuilt would cost me more than the difference.

Billsteins or Icons have a longer life expectancy, true? Meaning they would need to be rebuilt or replaced less often say compared to kings? Still in research mode and trying to learn.

-young grasshopper

3. Jan 12, 2019 at 11:12 PM
    Kelvin

Kelvin Wheeeeee

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16’ GX460 with some junk bolted on
    So what you do is you buy 2.0 icons because you’re trying to convince yourself that you don’t need 2.5’s. Then 1 month later you switch to whichever brand is better and keep the icons around as spares for when you need to rebuild.

It’s what I did. And what most on this forum do.

4. Jan 13, 2019 at 6:03 AM
    Don5352

Don5352 Liberty or Death

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 AC TRD OR
    Some really cool shit
    I would have except one was tweaked. I gave Gply two for his rebuild project, though. The others went in the trash. The didn't make it two years, and then because I only wheeled a couple times as I still needed to armor up. No pro comp on my truck now.

Gply likes this.
  5. Jan 13, 2019 at 6:50 AM
    Twizted

Twizted 1GR FE

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    America
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCLB TRD Locked 4WD & '17 Tundra DC SR5 TRD Offroad
    stock af, but hover if you think you disagree... RV living: Vagabond Drifter (6' bed) Custom bed cabinet buildout 175w Renogy solar panel 40a Rich Solar MPPT solar controller 1000w Wagan Pure Line inverter Lavaner Pro 2kw diesel heat exchanger Suspension/wheels: Toytec Aluma 2.5 front shocks with resis 13x700 coils (soon 14x700) Toytec Aluma 2.5 rear shocks SPC UCAs Deaver Stage 3 rear leaf springs Wheeler's 3 degree axle shims Wheeler's U-bolt flip Wheeler's Super Bumpstops 18"x9" XD Monster (x5) 275/75/18 Cooper ST MAXX (x5) EBC Stage 3 pads/rotors Electronics: Kenwood DNX773S iDatalink - Maestro RR Stubby Antenna No-name Switchback LEDs Hella Sharptone horns (no relay) Relocated backup camera w/DIY bracket Armor/recovery: BruteForceFab Rear HC w/swingout BAMF Sliders (DOM, 10 degree w/kick out, rattle-canned) BAMF IFS Skid (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF Mid Skid (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF TC Skid (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF LCA Skids (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF Rear Diff Skid (early model, powder-coated) BAMF CMC Plates US Offroad Winch Bumper Smittybilt X20 10k synthetic rope winch Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners ARB compressor w/air-up kit DIY cowl snorkel ARB rear air-locker Interior: Husky Floor Liners (F&R) Rear 40% seat-delete Hinged fridge platform in place of rear seat Exterior: CaliRaised Low-profile Ditch Light Brackets CaliRaised Side-projecting LED pods CaliRaised Faux TRD Pro Grille Morimoto amber LED fog lights One-of-a-kind 1GRFE plate (second iteration) Removed: OEM Bed Mat CaliRaised bed molle panels
    The only ProComp left on mine now is the rear shocks. I have the OME Nitrochargers to put on, but since I'm going to have to shave off some off the mounts (#2015probz), it'll take longer then normal so I haven't done it yet. Besides, now I have to cut my bedsides anyway. Maybe next Saturday...

Taco-Obsessed and CalTacoma09 like this.
  6. Jan 13, 2019 at 8:05 AM
    FirstTimeFirstGen

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Pacifica
    Vehicle:
    It really depends on how you treat the kings. If you go bombing down bumpy offroad trails all the time, ya, they're they're going to need to be rebuilt more often than road use. Not sure if they last longer than icons or bilsteins. As for down time, buy a used set of bilstein 5100s to swap in while the kings are being rebuilt. Thats why I have a pair of 5100s sitting in my garage. And idk what kind of tools you have at home but you will need a spring compressor to swap out struts. Most dont come pre assembled and if they do you're spending more money to get a spring with the strut.

As for icons - most people in nor cal TW arent fans because they tend to leak. @EDDO picture please. And icons are a coilover just like kings. They will need to be rebuilt when they wear out, or leak.

Not sure whether you're talking about bilstein coilovers or struts like the 5100s mentioned earlier. Struts - not a bad option, but not as nice of a ride as kings (I can personally attest to that) and you still have to find a way to swap out the spring when replacing. I have no personal experience with bilstein coilovers, but, just like king, icon, fox, swayaway, they are a coilover and will need to be rebuilt or replaced when they wear out. @roguegs might be willing to comment on the bilstein coilover ride quality.

Additional info - rebuilding a coilover isnt like rebuilding an engine. Most places can have it done in a day if you schedule with them in advance so they can make sure they have the parts (mainly just seals), oil, and nitrogen on hand. Assuming where you take them to get rebuilt isnt slammed and backlogged on business.

Taco-Obsessed[QUOTED] and EDDO like this.
  7. Jan 13, 2019 at 8:16 AM
    HAVING FUN

HAVING FUN Old Man

Member:
    First Name:
    Leonard
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    08 4runner
    My experience with 5100s, not advisable over 600lbs springs. Ride quality depends on aftermarket add on wieght.

8. Jan 13, 2019 at 9:08 AM
    EDDO

EDDO                         

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    19 TUNDRA
    Well seeing as @FirstTimeFirstGen tagged me in here, I’ll say that I’ve never had an Icon coilover leak. And my rear 2.5s only ever leaked due to a loose resi fitting right out of the box. I have two sets of both fronts and rears; one on the truck and one in the garage back from rebuild. #Icondailydriverproblems

9. Jan 13, 2019 at 9:40 AM
    Speedo

Speedo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dcsb 4x4
    Wrecked!
    Soccer mom problems.

10. Jan 13, 2019 at 9:51 AM
    Speedo

Speedo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dcsb 4x4
    Wrecked!
    I beat the shit out my Billy's they. Did great for a cheap option 620lb springs and 02 Ford f150 rears. There 11.68 travel on heavy ass expos. If bumped properly they would still be working :anonymous:.
    If the ease of adjusting the front is what your after ANd money isnt an issue :spending:.
    Any of the the top brands will do. Call down south motorsports they have great pricing on all things suspension related and can answer any questions about what you need.
    It's really about what color or brand you like.
    You can find something bad about all of them if you dig deep enough.

Taco-Obsessed likes this.
  11. Jan 13, 2019 at 11:08 AM
    FirstTimeFirstGen

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Pacifica
    Vehicle:
    Step one: Insert foot in mouth

Mybad

Fernando and EDDO[QUOTED] like this.
  12. Jan 13, 2019 at 11:23 AM
    Twizted

Twizted 1GR FE

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    America
    Vehicle:
    stock af, but hover if you think you disagree... RV living: Vagabond Drifter (6' bed) Custom bed cabinet buildout 175w Renogy solar panel 40a Rich Solar MPPT solar controller 1000w Wagan Pure Line inverter Lavaner Pro 2kw diesel heat exchanger Suspension/wheels: Toytec Aluma 2.5 front shocks with resis 13x700 coils (soon 14x700) Toytec Aluma 2.5 rear shocks SPC UCAs Deaver Stage 3 rear leaf springs Wheeler's 3 degree axle shims Wheeler's U-bolt flip Wheeler's Super Bumpstops 18"x9" XD Monster (x5) 275/75/18 Cooper ST MAXX (x5) EBC Stage 3 pads/rotors Electronics: Kenwood DNX773S iDatalink - Maestro RR Stubby Antenna No-name Switchback LEDs Hella Sharptone horns (no relay) Relocated backup camera w/DIY bracket Armor/recovery: BruteForceFab Rear HC w/swingout BAMF Sliders (DOM, 10 degree w/kick out, rattle-canned) BAMF IFS Skid (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF Mid Skid (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF TC Skid (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF LCA Skids (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF Rear Diff Skid (early model, powder-coated) BAMF CMC Plates US Offroad Winch Bumper Smittybilt X20 10k synthetic rope winch Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners ARB compressor w/air-up kit DIY cowl snorkel ARB rear air-locker Interior: Husky Floor Liners (F&R) Rear 40% seat-delete Hinged fridge platform in place of rear seat Exterior: CaliRaised Low-profile Ditch Light Brackets CaliRaised Side-projecting LED pods CaliRaised Faux TRD Pro Grille Morimoto amber LED fog lights One-of-a-kind 1GRFE plate (second iteration) Removed: OEM Bed Mat CaliRaised bed molle panels
    Isn't it the SoCal Icons that leak the worst?

13. Jan 13, 2019 at 11:25 AM
    zerotimeouts

zerotimeouts Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4.0 S/C
    I heard they leak when used with ProComp lift kits :popcorn:

(my first gen Donahue mall crawler 2.5s haven’t had any issues but they only get 10k a year on them)

14. Jan 13, 2019 at 11:31 AM
    Twizted

Twizted 1GR FE

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    America
    Vehicle:
    :rofl:

:thumbsup:

15. Jan 13, 2019 at 12:01 PM
    2BeersPlease

2BeersPlease Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anyone have a guess on what these (F&R) are worth on the used market? TMU.

20190113_115727.jpg

16. Jan 13, 2019 at 12:08 PM
    tyfoon11

tyfoon11 Raguel

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Where bald eagles roam, Ca
    garden shed
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/tacomas-dont-have-struts.452101/

Taco-Obsessed, Moogle, BudMan and 5 others like this.
  17. Jan 13, 2019 at 12:10 PM
    HAVING FUN

HAVING FUN Old Man

Member:
    First Name:
    Leonard
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    08 4runner
    Yeah, I know, dont have a REAL truck. They were a nice comfy ride on 590lbs and bumper, just adding other heavy shit after, just too soft.
    Bullies known dont do well/last probably over that 620lbs depending on extra wieght added.

18. Jan 13, 2019 at 12:37 PM
    Katchaser00

Katchaser00 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    10,000 lakes
    Soooooo............. when we getting a picture of the new whip????

19. Jan 13, 2019 at 12:54 PM
    2BeersPlease

2BeersPlease Well-Known Member

Member:
    Had to pull the TRD Pro badges first.

20190113_094346.jpg

Edit: because it's not a TRD Pro.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  20. Jan 13, 2019 at 1:18 PM
    EDDO

EDDO                         

Member: