1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

normal operating temperature

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by dustinclm, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Oct 20, 2013 at 3:56 PM
    Indy

Indy Master of all I survey.

Member:
    The factory temp gauges arent calibrated or set so thar x sweep = y temp. It just shows a 'normal' range. As long as the gauge is in the normal area, youre fine. If you swap gauges but nothing else the needle may end up in a slightly different spot at the same temps. Swap sending units and you may see the same thing as it may send a slighltly different voltage at the same temps.

The reason your gauge shows a fast increase in temp and then stops is that is when your thermostat opens up. Until you hit whatever temp your thermostat opens at it doesnt allow coolant to circulate except in the block so it heats up quickly and runs corectly. Once the thermostat opens it regulates the flow through the radiator which maintains the operating temperature.

2. Jul 1, 2017 at 12:11 PM
    TACOVRD

TACOVRD I Identify As A Prius

Member:
    First Name:
    TW Addict
    AZ/WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP - Formerly 2013 DCSB OR Spruce Mica
    Workin' on it....
    I'll add some data.

106 F ambient air temp. Hills and mountainous terrain. Engine temps between 195 F and 208 F

3. Jul 1, 2017 at 1:19 PM
    nzbrock

nzbrock Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers Wheeler's 5 Leaf + 3 AAL Bilstein 5100s LCE long tube header Flowmaster Delta 50 Muffler FJ Trail Team Wheels 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx 4Runner overhead sunglass console 4Runner leather seats All LED lights Red/Clear Tail Light Tundra Brakes HID Projector Retrofits 4Runner Auto Up/Down Windows Bullet Liner Cargo tie down system E-locker axle swap w/4.56 Gears ARE MX Cap Prinsu Toprac Custom heated turn signal/puddle light mirrors Volant Intake Tube
    I just changed out my water pump, coolant (Toyota red mixed with distilled), and thermostat on my 3RZ. I also swapped in a new fan clutch even though the old one seemed fine when I removed it.

Before doing this, my normal operating Temp in city driving was around 194°. After doing this my normal operating temp was around 185°.

I am guessing that the coolant flush and thermostat made the largest difference. My coolant was about 60k miles old. The thermostat was most likely original at 175k.

Currygoat likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top