1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

North Tahoe trails?

Discussion in 'Northern California' started by bmgreene, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Jun 21, 2010 at 5:57 PM
    bmgreene

bmgreene [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Alcan Leaf Packs, OME884 Coils, 5100 shocks, U.S. Offroad Winch Mount w/Winch, Trail Gear Rear H/C Bumper, Prinsu Cabrack, DIY custom in-bed storage/sleeping deck, Sway bar delete, hidden "snorkel" intake mod, In-dash CB, Bestop Supertop, Undercover Swingbox, hood lifters, assorted lights and front spotting camera
    Can anyone reccomed good pre-runner friendly trails around North Tahoe?

Not looking to get too agressive since I'll likely be running alone (one truck anyway, but not just myself in it), although I do have a CB, a full toolkit and a hi-lift with winching gear (tree strap, 20ft recovery strap and 30ft chain plus the hi-lift winching kit with hooks) so I should be able to self-recover decently.

I've found some listings showing trails which are described as fire roads, but was homing to maybe find some trails a little past that (but not as hardcore as rubicon).

I'm fairly familiar with the area, but have been driving a sports car in previous years so this will be my first chance to get off-road around there.

2. Aug 26, 2010 at 11:39 AM
    Steezyskis

Steezyskis I ski I work I'm rad

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    Lake Tahoe (west shore)
    Vehicle:
    Black 05 DC 4x4 sport SB
    Tuff country front bumper, Walker Evans 2.5 coilovers, Allpro 3" rear leafs with 5100s and an Allpro U-bolt flip kit, K&N CAI, 16x8 Raceline raptor wheels wrapped with 285 Toyo ATs, Sockmonkey bed decals, Softtopper camper shell, half debadged with black painted tacoma emblems, B.A.M.F rock sliders, GT covers, BHLM, PIAA lights and more to come.
    That's quite a tuff one I've lived 5 mins a away from the rubicon for 18 years. And I've been on a lot of trails but most seem like there prerunner trails but end up turning into crawlin trails. But if you know where the town of truckee is ( most likely ) there's some good PR trails out there. Prosser, around Boca and Stampede lake. It's flater and not as many rocks trees and mountainous switch backs.

3. Aug 26, 2010 at 2:11 PM
    PreRunnerSeth

PreRunnerSeth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    16 Super White Limited 4x4
    We were just camping up in the jackson meadows reservoir area and we went out on a great fire road that could easily be done with a prerunner. lots of wonderful views and little lakes.

4. Aug 26, 2010 at 2:16 PM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    X2 there is a lot of nice trails around Jackson meadows it's beautiful up there in' fact I'm heading up that way Labor day weekend.

5. Aug 26, 2010 at 2:34 PM
    bmgreene

bmgreene [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Alcan Leaf Packs, OME884 Coils, 5100 shocks, U.S. Offroad Winch Mount w/Winch, Trail Gear Rear H/C Bumper, Prinsu Cabrack, DIY custom in-bed storage/sleeping deck, Sway bar delete, hidden "snorkel" intake mod, In-dash CB, Bestop Supertop, Undercover Swingbox, hood lifters, assorted lights and front spotting camera
    thanks, I'll remember that for next year (I go up with friends every year around 4th of july).

I did end up wandering around on some of the fire/logging roads that connect to the Mt Watson/Fiberboard road (felt a little less manly after taking a fire road up to pavement that I didn't know about an ended up passing a prius coming the other way) which connects to the highway in Truckee (I'm assuming at the Brockway pass exit?).

I did wander up a "5" rated jeep trail which I think got me up near the Mt. Pluto summit which the pre-runner handled fine (downshifted to 2nd in a couple spots but never needed to engage the locker or bust out the recovery gear); I am glad that I didn't meet anyone coming the other way on that one since it was very narrow and lacked turnarounds except at the ends and would have sucked to have to travel in reverse for any significant distance.

Just wish I had known that there's a USFS ranger station in Truckee before I took half a day to drive over to Nevada City (even usfs.gov claimed Nevada City as the only place to go to buy maps of Tahoe Natl Forest), and I should probably get on ordering a set for the Tahoe Basin area. Did get to see a for-real spot hailstorm coming back over the 267 through Truckee, which was nice since I haven't been in the mountains for much weather since moving to L.A. in '92.

Products Discussed in

To Top