1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Northeast camping recommendations

Discussion in 'North East' started by Tlharvey, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Jan 3, 2021 at 5:38 PM
    Tlharvey

Tlharvey [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Vehicle:
    18 DCSB SR5
    So long story short I’ve done a fair amount of crashing in trucks and random places in order to go fishing/hunting/skiing but never got into the traditional “camping” thing. That all changed when my 4yo daughter and I went handful of times last summer to some of the CT state parks and campgrounds and she decided that she really likes it and wants to go more. So my question to all you guys is do you have any recommendations for campgrounds, some for local trips and farther away if we make a trip this summer would be appreciated.

78BB7EE0-01DC-4CE6-894C-8EE0DCBFBAF1.jpg

danofdot, Blackbeard83 and T-yoda like this.
  2. Jan 3, 2021 at 5:41 PM
    Sand Dog

Sand Dog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR, 4x4 DCSB MGM
    Fisherman’s Memorial State Park in PT. Judith RI. Took my kids there many times & they loved it. Can ride a bike to the Block Island Ferry for a day at the beach there. And Nickerson up on the Cape is also awesome.

SilverBulletII and Tlharvey [OP] like this.
  3. Jan 4, 2021 at 6:59 AM
    hogeyphenogey

hogeyphenogey Getting back into a Tacoma!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Chicopee, MA
    Vehicle:
    2003 Lunar Mist TRD-OR manual 3.4L
    Lifted, aftermarket stereo, ditch and rear bumper LED pods
    We like the DAR in Goshen Mass. great campground with a lake for fishing/kayaking. Trails, fire tower, etc. They have a shower/bathroom building as well. Great place for kids.

Blackbeard83 and Tlharvey [OP] like this.
  4. Jan 12, 2021 at 2:54 PM
    mabepossibly

mabepossibly I know enough to make an ass of myself

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 T|X Baja
    Adventure bound in Turo out on the Cape. We go out there every September to camp and drive the Cape Cod Oversand route.

Lewey Lake and Indian Lake in the ADKs are also favorites. But NYS park camp grounds were super busy this season.

043672EE-924C-4A82-A18B-AE7E149F2FB8.jpg

5. Jan 17, 2021 at 9:36 AM
    danofdot

danofdot New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR5
    Tow Package Roadmaster Active Suspension
    Scusset Beach State Campground in Sandwich, MA. Great for families; it's right on the Cape Cod Canal and Scusset Beach. Big playground and the bicycle/walking trail along the canal is wonderful. You will have a blast there and it is close to Plymouth for more sightseeing opportunities.
    https://www.mass.gov/locations/scusset-beach-state-reservation

Also check out Mt. Desert Campground on Mt. Desert Island, Maine. Adjacent to Acadia National Park and close to Bar Harbor with lots of hiking, swimming, sightseeing opportunities. https://www.mountdesertcampground.com/

SilverBulletII and Tlharvey [OP] like this.
  6. Jan 17, 2021 at 12:58 PM
    Graton

Graton Well-Known Member

Member:
    Berkshires - Massachusetts
    Beartown State Forest - https://www.mass.gov/locations/beartown-state-forest - is a good place to take a kid. Right on a nice pond, good kid friendly hike around the pond with lots of wildlife to see. Not sure where you are in CT, but Monterey, MA is near the northwest corner of CT - about 35 minutes from Canaan, CT. Lots of other good hikes and fishing in the area.

danofdot and Tlharvey [OP] like this.
  7. Jan 17, 2021 at 1:03 PM
    lodi781

lodi781 Alexander Supertramp

Member:
    shelton CT
    Vehicle:
    '16 4runner trail
    ARB by-51’s, dobinson springs, Gobi Rack, Black Oak single row LED roof bar
    Acadia NP is always a nice destination.

danofdot and Tlharvey [OP] like this.
  8. Jan 17, 2021 at 4:10 PM
    Tlharvey

Tlharvey [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Vehicle:
    18 DCSB SR5
    Good to here I was gonna try it but was waiting for them to open up reservations for the season. And we’re located in the southwest of ct but bounce between there and Franklin county MA a bunch

SilverBulletII likes this.
  9. Jan 19, 2021 at 8:26 AM
    Hextall

Hextall Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    17 Inferno OR DCSB
    Some NH options:
    White Lake State Park - Smallish lake and beach to swim in. plenty of stuff to do in the area (it's quite touristy in teh summer). This campground is huge, and I stayed in it for the first time last year, and it was only maybe a 1/4 available/full due to covid.
    Lake Francis St. Park - way up there, probably a 6 hour+ drive I would guess from CT. A few lakes around to paddle and fish. THere's a trail that borders Canada and the US and you can put one foot on either side of the survey marks. My daughter loved that. The hike isn't exactly easy, but my 10 year old did it fine. I camp there a bunch, but I fish the river. There's also a blooming ATV industry there where you can rent side by sides in Pittsburg and explore the area.
    Sugarloaf I and II - Past Franconia notch, but not so far you can't go back and explore that area (tram up Cannon, all the parks along 93 right at the notch). The campgrounds are nice, and the Ammonoosuc River is nearby, and just east on Rt. 302 there's a great swimming hole. You can drive up the road from the campground and hike towards Zealand Hut, which borders a stream. You don't have to go all the way to the hut to stop and enjoy the stream (dunk feet, flip over rocks).

10. Jan 22, 2021 at 4:52 AM
    JDUB-Fabrication

JDUB-Fabrication Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newburgh NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 ACLB-TRD O/R
    Bald Eagle State Forest (PA)
    -Free dispersed camping
    -Legal 4x4 trails (not super gnarly)
    -Amazing sunsets
    C705B10A-05A2-42B4-8638-515D4ECEDBB8.jpg F157CA49-E178-472D-86F6-BFEE1D4137B3.jpg 447B66BA-831C-425A-AD07-68EC627B7C3A.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top