1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Northeast folks: advice needed re: Winch/4x4

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by o5iiawah, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Aug 30, 2011 at 2:33 PM
    o5iiawah

o5iiawah [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Philly 'burbs, PA
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x2 access cab 2.7l
    I bought my 4x2 ac 5-lug for chewing up the FL highway miles but am considering transferring to the northeast, specifically Philly/NY areas.

I am a cell tech and work primarily at cell towers. The access roads are dirt, cut through woods and I can almost guarantee are not plowed.

I just got it in Feb and already have 22k miles on it. I think I'll get screwed if I try to trade it in on a DC 4x4 so should I just invest in a 3" lift and a winch to get out of the crappy spots? What do you guys think?

2. Aug 30, 2011 at 2:39 PM
    bigbri04103

bigbri04103 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD
    Seat belt dinger shut off, debadged, window tint, 3" toytec lift, front fended trim, D rings in front of bed, and mangled rear bumper (soon to be a relentless rear)
    I'm further north than that but when it comes to snow a two wheel drive truck is way to light in the rear with out some sort of weight. I don't think you will be happy with out 4X4. good luck with the move.

3. Aug 30, 2011 at 2:45 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    trade for a 4x4 while you still are not too far behind, get a early 2nd gen and I doubt you will take that big of a hit.

4. Aug 30, 2011 at 2:52 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    If you're going to be on unplowed roads by yourself in the winter, I'd get a 4x4. On unplowed roads, good tires and chains in a 4x4 is about the best you'll be able to do. If you need to keep the 4x2, get chains, make sure you weigh down the back and always carry a shovel and other provisions depending on how desolate the areas are that you're traveling into. You can get a cheap winch that pulls from a hitch and attaches to the battery.

I see you have an AC now, why would you trade to a DC?

5. Aug 30, 2011 at 3:27 PM
    o5iiawah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Philly 'burbs, PA
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x2 access cab 2.7l
    More lockable storage space factor. I carry a lot of tools that I dont want to disappear. The AC is do-able but a bit tight. If i could have bought all over again, I would have gone DC.

I've mentioned in other threads, I do get mileage reimbursement on my vehicles so if I went with an 07 4x4 with about 50-80k, I might not take too bad of a hit. Good information

6. Aug 30, 2011 at 3:34 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    Are you giving any consideration to an AC with a shell? The DC isn't great for tools in my opinion. The bottom of the rear seats don't fold up so you have a lot of storage like you'd think they should. You can fold the top of the seats down but you can't have anything on the floors. As a people carrier the DC is great, as a tool carrier, I don't think you'll gain as much interior room as you think.

7. Aug 30, 2011 at 3:45 PM
    o5iiawah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Philly 'burbs, PA
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x2 access cab 2.7l
    I'd lean more towards a retractable and locking tonneau. The space thingy I can figure out later. I'm far more concerned doing the winter months up morth with a 5-lug 4x2

8. Aug 30, 2011 at 6:47 PM
    lowinhz

lowinhz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Papa Kurt
    Dandridge Tn
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SB 4x4 v6
    Billies@ 2.5, 2inch blocks, front hitch, xrc 8k winch on portable mount, 10 sub behind seat, Memphis amp, pioneer touch radio, cobra cb, 235/85/r16 duratracs with black rims, high lift jack, tint, remote start alarm, hella 500 lights, 59" curve led bar, snorkel, expo trailer with rat, car seat
    I work for a company as a specials tech and go to these sites up in Tn we get snow but no where as much as ip north I have taken my 2x chevy 1500 with utility bed up to some crazy site in the winter with chains. Some I really should not have been up and some I couldn't make 1/2 way up turned around and went back to the yard to get my 2011 Trd or licked with chains on all 4 double cab just to get the site back on line. Weight becomes your friend in a 2x some banks are shear drops around here and the 2x would slide going up and even butt Puckering going down grt the 4x4 and chains and a very large self recovery setup ssim east tn

9. Aug 30, 2011 at 8:54 PM
    Texoma

Texoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Poweraid TB spacer, a bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA 2035s headers and dey are perty, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, LR UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, 5 factory 16" steels wit Pep Boys special Dakota Definity MT's in 285/75/16, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more but it's alre
    These trucks retain their value very well, so I don't think you will get totally screwed. You should wait til you change your residency to get a new truck if you do, so that you don't pay tax and tags twice. Maybe even wait for the 2012's to come out. Good luck with your move and if ya need some suggestions on areas to live, hit up the north east threads.

10. Aug 30, 2011 at 9:05 PM
    sprocketdog

sprocketdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Halifax Pa
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco 96 Taco 06 TSX 94 extra cab Hilux
    DR coilovers, Camburg UCAs, Dakar rear springs, Bilstien 5150s, Demello sliders, rear plate bumper w/ swing gate, and alot more mods. [IMG]http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd368/sprocketdog1/059.jpg[/IMG]
    I have been in the wireless industry for over 13 years in central Pa usually out in those parts you are looking at more water tank or roof top sites. Now I am a CM in WV for a carrier and I know they have very f*&^ed up roads worse than what is here.

11. Aug 30, 2011 at 9:21 PM
    Kayak Taco

Kayak Taco Member

Member:
    Auburn , AL
    Vehicle:
    11 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport
    I moved to NH in January. My 4x4 AC is just about useless in 2wd in deep snow. In 4x4 I never got stuck, even before the plows came out. Get the 4x4.

Another word of advise... 2wd trucks are worth so much less up here that they are in the south. Sell the 2wd in the south before you come up here. Also, 4wd trucks up here are much more likely to have rust issues, so you might be best to get a truck before you come...

12. Aug 31, 2011 at 3:42 AM
    o5iiawah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Philly 'burbs, PA
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x2 access cab 2.7l
    awesome wisdom from everyone.

13. Aug 31, 2011 at 4:12 AM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    Yea, you are gonna hit some snowy/muddy cell tower roads, def try and get a 4x4. With a winch and a shovel you could get yourself out, but probably not long before you get stuck again.

To Top