1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Annual OR/WA TSF Camping and Wheeling Shindig

Discussion in 'North West' started by Chickenmunga, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Jan 1, 2011 at 10:23 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga [OP] Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    8th Annual OR/WA TSF Camping and Wheeling Meet
    :mudding: June 8 - 10:mudding:
    Brought to you by @Chickenmunga and @snowgod06
    Started in 2010 as just another regular meet, we get together annually to wheel TSF, camp, and do our version of a TacomaWorld reunion!

Come experience the Tillamook State Forest, home to some of the west coast's most famous trails. The trails are rated anywhere from green up to triple black, with options for turnouts and photo opportunities. Choose any of the trails that appeal to you, or park your ride for a few minutes as you watch your buddies conquer a section of trail, then catch up by taking the bypass. Meet up at the end of the day for fireside camping food, and swapping tales.

:bikewheelie2:Taking something else other than a truck? You may bring alternative rides, such as motorcycles or quads (@snowgod06 tends to head up that 'department'). If you are more into hiking, bicycling, or horses, you need to organize that on your own.

Picture Threads
    Difficulty rating goes Green/Blue/Black/Double Black/Triple Black. Trails are clearly marked and usually have bypasses.

Where Are We Meeting? How Do I Get Around the Trails?

General overview Google map

Choose one:
    • Meet us at Brown's Camp. We camp at site 16, unless we've stated otherwise
    • Check on the roster and contact a member to become part of a caravan
    • Don't want to take your vehicle on the trail, but still attending?
      • If you want to camp, ask if there is extra campsite parking for you.
      • If you are not camping, you can park in the free day use area.
        • :turtleride: @Chickenmunga has offered parking in front of his house in Hillsboro for the first three vehicles that would like to park and carpool. He lives on a cul-de-sac, so leaving your vehicle is pretty safe from damage or theft. Please make arrangements with him.

Basic Costs, Rules, Requirements, Conduct

• Camping Costs
      • Please have $20 in small bills
      • Regular camping is $10/day per site, $2 for additional vehicles. Motorcycles, ATVs, and 4x4s brought in on trailers do not count as extra vehicles.
      • Dispersed camping is free
    • Special Forest-Service Mandates for All Vehicles Operating in TSF (except dirt bikes and quads)
      • OHV permit It is mandatory! You cannot drive the trails without it!
      • 1 gallon of water or a 2.5 pound fire extinguisher
      • 1 shovel with an 8 inch blade and at least 26 inches long from the tip of the blade to the tip of the handle (I recommend a spade-style head)
    • Rules/Requirements From Us: Please see post #3 below

Basic Agenda
    • Friday: Arrive and setting up camp. Those who arrive early are welcome to do some runs.
    • Saturday: Camp will have a general meet n' greet, vehicle prep, then hit trails by 9:30 - 10:00. We typically have lunch on the trail and get back to camp in time for dinner. We can split into different difficulty groups if needed
    • Sunday: open agenda. Most people leave around 9AM, though.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  2. Jan 1, 2011 at 10:51 PM
    Chickenmunga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    Current roster

Sign up rules: In an effort to award some priority for repeat attendees, but also avoid the problem of squatters, we have the following rules:
    • Priority spots: If you were present last year, you get first dibs at a spot. You get a week to commit, or you auto forfeit and become part of the general pool.
    • General Pool: If you were not present last year, this is you. These are the spots we are filling right now.
    • The Abbhorrent: If you reserved a spot and pulled a no-show, this is you. You are like the people in the airport begging to get on the plane. I understand stuff comes up, but we have to make it fair. For this year, the slate is clean and I haven't recorded any names on the naughty list.

Campers marked with a #, bikers with a *
    (name/caravan/dates attending/experience)
    :
    1. # @Chickenmunga (Mike) - No caravan, headed over Friday after work - whenever Sunday, blue/black
    2. # @snowgod06 (Rob) - No caravan, early Friday - Sunday morning, blues and maybe blacks
    3. # @Benson X (Ben) - headed down Friday - Sunday morning, blue/black
    4. # @mutilatedjak (David) - Washington caravan?, ??? - Sunday morning, blue/black
    5. # @penguins_cc (Will) - Washington caravan?, Friday - Sunday morning, blue/black
    6. # @Bennett707 (Cody) (with @JayMac passenger), no caravan, ?? - Sunday, blue/black
    7. #@stikle (Seth) - No caravan, Thursday - Sunday morning, blue/black
    8. # @jammdogg (Joe) - No caravan, Friday afternoon - Saturday afternoon, blue/black
    9. # @Skootter14 (Jeremy) - Lacey caravan, Friday evening from Washington - Sunday, green - black (maybe double black)
    10. (hotel) @Boomer04 - ???, Friday morning - Sunday, blue/black
    11. # @Fleabag (Uriah) - Saturday - Sunday, blue/black
    12. # @chipsnsalsa - caravan from Lacey with @Skootter14 , Friday evening from Washington - Sunday, green - blue
    13. OPEN
    14. OPEN
    15. OPEN

Food Menu

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  3. Jan 1, 2011 at 11:01 PM
    Chickenmunga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    :boink:TRAIL REPORTS:boink:

Camp spots (in Order of How We Try to Reserve Them)
    1. Brown's camp, spot 16, with spots 17 and 18 as overflow/backup, plus 2 more 45.612002, -123.349187
    2. Lyda Camp dispersed spot 45.57929,-123.45399
    3. Dispersed spots near Brown's Camp 45.614448,-123.355289 or at 45.61726,-123.35391

Navigation Gear

Communication
    • Default communication is CB channel 22
    • GMRS welcome

Rules
    • Vehicle Requirements
      • Vehicles need to be trail-capable and mechanically stable. We are not a mobile repair shop.
      • Recovery Points front and rear. You cannot be a driver without this
      • full size spare
      • jack and lug wrench
      • spare fluids
      • highly recommended: 2+ bow shackles (3/4" screw pin with a printed WLL of 4 3/4 tons recommended for a Tacoma)
      • highly recommended: looped recovery strap (no hooks). NOT a tow strap. Strap should have a breaking strength of 2.5 times your vehicle weight.
      • optional: vehicle mounted CB radio or GMRS radio
    • Trail Conduct
      • Safety is number one.
      • Tread lightly
      • Any vehicle welcome, but remember we are focusing on Tacomas. Overall, it's more about attitude than what you drive or how you drive it.
      • Bring all your recovery gear. Straps break, winches fail, and not all of us have all the tools we should.
    • Liability
      • If you ask for a recovery from another member, we will ask for your permission to attach to what we feel is safest. If we cannot find a location that ensures human safety, we will leave your vehicle. If your vehicle becomes damaged during this rescue, you will assume all liability.
      • If you damage your vehicle on the trail, you are responsible.
      • Spotters are not liable for vehicle damage
      • If you get your gear damaged by someone and it is not part of the recovery process, then you will both need to come to an agreement through insurance or personal understanding.
      • If you break someone else's recovery gear while getting recovered, it is customary to help defray the costs by paying for some/all of the replacement cost.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  4. Jan 2, 2011 at 9:40 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Keep me posted and I will see if I can make it or not.:)

The dunes are fun. There are a few trails and it's a good place to go...

5. Jan 2, 2011 at 9:42 PM
    Chickenmunga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    UPDATE: also post what dates work. I'm thinking saturdays because some of us work!

6. Jan 3, 2011 at 3:18 PM
    225nontypical

225nontypical ????????????

Member:
    backwoods
    Vehicle:
    11 tundra DC TRD OffRoad
    bilstein 5100's weather tech floor mats katskinz leather heated seats
    Saturdays are good any just not the weekend of the 22nd for me. as for what to do, i do not care to much i am not a dunes fan to much i like snow so if anyone knows another place to go that would be my vote, or going back to crooked-finger (scotts mills area) for guys that have the right equipment we could try to make it all the way to the look out tower, but your better be ready the snow will be deep and the last 1/2 mile of the trails is a jeep trail.

7. Jan 3, 2011 at 3:37 PM
    ST77

ST77 Wandering doesn't mean you're lost

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Sandy, Or
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR DCSB
    Bone Stock
    Everything sounds good except for the sand... I'm in limbo right now as I may be leaving for Israel for 6 months, but hopefully they can find a replacement and I won't need to leave. I'm available most weekends, so if you guys pick a date I'll do my best to make it... and as Summer nears we should see an uptick in participation! Good work planning guys!!

8. Jan 3, 2011 at 4:19 PM
    225nontypical

225nontypical ????????????

Member:
    backwoods
    Vehicle:
    11 tundra DC TRD OffRoad
    bilstein 5100's weather tech floor mats katskinz leather heated seats
    chickenmunga, we could do a replace your uca day! i told you i would be willing to help so we could show everyone how to do it. if you are up for it but you will need to have an alignment shop lined up to take it to after we do it. should be able to do it in under 2 hours.

9. Jan 3, 2011 at 4:20 PM
    Timicha

Timicha Timicha

Member:
    First Name:
    TIM
    Tillamook / Portland , Oregon
    Vehicle:
    04 White Tacoma
    Fabtech 4 inch lift, tinted windows, diff drop, 33 inch MTZ tires on Raceline Raptor wheels, ELITE OFF-ROAD bumpers and sliders
    sweet i'm down when ever i'm up in the tillamook area, nice job mike

10. Jan 3, 2011 at 4:48 PM
    Chickenmunga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    You would need to schedule a pre-run to evaluate conditions and provide some pics of what to expect, especially since most of us haven't seen the trail. Given the time frame you'd have to do the pre-run this weekend and schedule for the 29th. I think it may be worth holding off untill February.
    At worst I'm willing to simply plan something where you drive for a few hours to some lake or something, do some hot dogs, goof around on something like that helicopter pad, and head back.

I'm somewhat familiar with the Barlow Toll Road near Zigzag/Government Camp. When dry, the roads are quite easy, so with the right amount of snow it would be a good challenge without too big of a danger (fairly wide paths, etc., but has fun terrain). I just don't know how much snow is too much, last year we didn't make it too far at all.

Goat Mountain might be an option but I'm not familiar. The only places up there I could find would be harder than trying TSF.

Another area is Mary's Peak in Philomath, but I never found anything too worthy. Anyone know more about that place?

Sorry guys, I haven't had much snow experience so I'm hoping to lean on one of you to head it up.

I don't have the new rims or tires yet, and it's going to take a bit still. I just dumped $1500 to pay off the truck last week, and about two weeks before that I bought the UCAs.

Did anyone have a lift to do or some welding? We could also do some mini-mods on the side.

11. Jan 3, 2011 at 5:01 PM
    ST77

ST77 Wandering doesn't mean you're lost

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Sandy, Or
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR DCSB
    Bone Stock
    I was up at Goat last weekend... It was pretty snowed in and we didn't make it that far, it's suppose to warm up this week so there may be some relief in the next week or two. I live just a couple miles from Goat, so if you ever want to scout it out just PM me.

12. Jan 3, 2011 at 5:10 PM
    Chickenmunga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    I'm surprised there isn't much interest in the dunes. I was getting asked about it all the time it felt like.
    Maybe we can load up in Zach and Tim's trucks and mob it like terrorists. :p

that was my guess. The Cascade Cruisers looked like they were getting into some thick stuff back in early December with their dedicated trail rigs.
    I'm assuming Barlow will be same story. tripcheck says about 3 feet roadside snow, I don't know if that means you'd just sink down or what, but it's higher up than Goat I think.

13. Jan 3, 2011 at 5:22 PM
    rvcahawaii808

rvcahawaii808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    cameron
    beaverton
    Vehicle:
    04 limited T4R 4x4
    i would be down for all those ideas

14. Jan 3, 2011 at 6:08 PM
    snowgod06

snowgod06 UG legend wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    A farm field, OREGON
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab
    crap bolted and welded together....
    Been to goat before, its pretty tough to get to now with all the snow. Marys peak is so so, not a lot of challenging stuff up their. With all the snow the mtns got last week i doubt we would make it far up any trail in the higher elevations on a lot of the ideas thrown out. As for the dunes....im burnt out on them. Since florence is so close to me i go a lot, and its a pain to get all that sand off the under body. If your looking for a fun wheeling day with moderate/easy trails i'd have to say waiting till march if not later would be best, for most of the snow to melt/be packed by other rigs.

15. Jan 3, 2011 at 9:25 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    This is very, very interesting...

:spy:

16. Jan 4, 2011 at 8:32 PM
    503TRD

503TRD Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Tualatin, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 DC TRD Sport
    Front Bilstein 5100's Set @ 2.5", Rear Bilstein 5100's, Rear TSB, Rear 1.5" ToyTec AAL, 1" CB Drop Kit, N-Fab Nerf Steps, WeatherTech All Weather Rubber Floor Mats, Grillcraft Grill(Upper/Lower), Blacked Out AC Condenser/Radiator, Tinted Front Windows, Vision X H4 SuperWhite Headlights, Halo H10 Solaris Yellow 45w 3000k Fog Lights, K&N Air Filter, Removed Front Mud Flaps, 18" MagnaFlow Muffler, Chrome Exhaust Tip, TRD Logo Leather Shift Knob, LED License Plate Lights, LED Interior Lights, LED Reverse Lights, LED Auxiliary Reverse Lights, Chrome TRD Badge on Tailgate, Redline Tuning Elite Hood Struts, Disabled Seatbelt Chime, Foglights Anytime, ScanGauge II, 13" Stubby Antenna, Flyzeye Design LED Light, Cobra 19 CB Radio/Firestik II Antenna, 18x9 Raceline Raptors, LT275/70/18 Hankook Dynapro ATm, 1.25" Sidertrax Wheel Spacers, Heated Front Seats, LED Tailgate Bar, 11" Double Row LED Bar Behind Grill

March sounds good for me

17. Jan 6, 2011 at 2:02 PM
    snowgod06

snowgod06 UG legend wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    A farm field, OREGON
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab
    crap bolted and welded together....
    Oh and just to add, if next time you guys have a whole stuff face talk trucks evening, move it a bit closer south. That way its not such a bitch for me to get to hahaha.

18. Jan 10, 2011 at 9:11 AM
    Chickenmunga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    Sorry to have been out for a week. We had our end of year company meetings all of last week.

Based on feedback,
    -it doesn't look like there's many rigs for the dunes.
    -no votes for burke videos
    -too much snow to wheel anywhere. No one has time or experience to assist in a pre-run with sufficient trails (if there is even any to find). Based on weather, some of us might be skiing our driveways.
    -no mods to do
    -no clinics planned. If anyone has a decent knowledge of snow recovery, now would be a perfect time to step up for teaching! Basic idea is find a place to dig a truck down into the snow, then show non-assisted recovery, winch recovery, shovel recovery, etc. By "dig down", I mean that you throw it in open diffs, spin the tires a bit so you can't get moving forward. Nothing dangerous! If any one can step up, please contact me. I have ~some~ knowledge, but most is theoretical rather than actual field knowledge.
    -people are hungry

I'm throwing up the 22nd for food n' talk at Buster's BBQ in Tigard unless I start hearing more solid options.

Unfortunately the large percentage of us live north. In order to accommodate the most people I'm trying to keep it accessible to them, though I'd personally love it if I lived further south. For wheeling, most areas are north of Salem, the Dunes, out east, or south of Cottage Grove.

19. Jan 10, 2011 at 11:19 AM
    JoeTacoma02

JoeTacoma02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sorry Mike I won't be able to make it. I got my culture new years event I got to attend to. Its pretty much an all day event. Can't do 15th either because that my neices 1st bday ;/ BBQ sure does sound good though.

20. Jan 13, 2011 at 8:55 AM
    Chickenmunga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    1st post updated. Sorry for the late notice wheeling event!

To Top