1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Not a mechanic, suspension advice

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by jorev5, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Oct 8, 2016 at 7:59 AM
    jorev5

jorev5 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joel
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver SR5 DC
    I recently changed the radiator to my 2004 tacoma. I have changed oil, brakes, alternator before, pretty much basic stuff, but by no means am I a mechanic. I have a question. My ride is in need of new suspension. Is this something I can do by myself, or should I just take it in and let a real mechanic do the work?

2. Oct 8, 2016 at 8:05 AM
    yota243

yota243 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E.J.
    north Alabama
    Vehicle:
    turbo 05 prerunner trd off road DC
    Bw s256 turbo with 3 in glass pack dumped pre axle raptor liner bed and top rails and fenderflares and rocker panels. Hunter side steps. Plasti-dipped upper fenders and emblems. satin black spray paint here and there inside and out. 5100's set to 1.75" up front . C channel front bumper. Maxxis bighorn 255/85/16
    Its pretty easy. Obviously jack it up and use some jack stands and take the wheels off, then u can disconnect they sway bar, and take the bolt out of the shock on the lca and the top nut of the shock off andnit will come right out. Put the new shock back into thw coil and put it back in. Jack up on the lca to compress the spring put the top nut back on and every thing else back together. There is about a 9 min video floating everywhere just search somethin like "tacoma shock install with no spring compressor"
    And the rear is just 2 bolts a really easy swap

3. Oct 19, 2016 at 3:09 PM
    Crikeymike

Crikeymike ExitOffroad.com Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax Beach, Florida
    You can also buy the struts with coils already assembled if you want to change it all out. We sell them like that. Then follow all those good instructions above and do it yourself. I've seen the method without coil compressors work well too, just make sure your life insurance policy is up to date and your floor jack doesn't randomly unload!!!

4. Oct 20, 2016 at 2:58 AM
    kenstar

kenstar Get a Lil Mud on the Tares

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Wrenching in the garage.
    Vehicle:
    10 4x4 TRD OR
    Pop 'n' Lock, EGR In-Chan, Bakflip G2, 6112, 5160, Dakar Set. Redline hood struts. WildPeak At3. TRD Pro Wheels. Apex Fab Fog lights; Other shit I can't remember.
    You should be fine. I did mine by myself, first time for me. I thought I would be referencing the internet every second. I ended up not event using the internet after the first 10mins - it's more about "what do I need to remove to get this part off?" That coupled with a little common sense, anyone should be able to install a lift. Also, provided you don't have the body frame of Screech, you should be able to do a set of dakars by yourself as well. Good luck!

5. Oct 24, 2016 at 8:07 AM
    Revelle

Revelle Toyotameup

Member:
    First Name:
    Gina
    Riverside, ANZA
    Vehicle:
    2004 Toyota Tacoma pre-runner V6 White with Chrome
    Converted Headlights to LED. Installed BLUETOOTH stereo. Bug deflector New used Engine, and then some
    Well my experience with changing front shocks were shocking! Lol
    I did all my utube how to. Looked pretty easy. And really everything went well & easy until I got to the last bolt on top of shock. Wouldnt come off, then it turned into 'stripping' no pun intended. Then I tried to cut the bolt off only got half cut I was afraid of cutting something else due to bolt in a tight & back space. Day 2 was no better. i unscrewed the arm near shock cause on utube it showed how easy it is to put shock back in and line with hole. Well, I ended up stripping that bolt. So I would tighten it just to have it loose again. I paid Ramona Tire $130 to tighten bolt. On way home it came loose. With all of that said & done. Im over it. I will stick to fixing plugs, batteries , changing oil. Anything else will go to the shop. Now I need to replace that sway bar to bolt in. And I never got my sgocks installed. Its my fault. Im learning

6. Oct 24, 2016 at 8:12 AM
    Crikeymike

Crikeymike ExitOffroad.com Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax Beach, Florida
    You mean the top of the strut, where it bolts through the top hat?

7. Oct 24, 2016 at 10:11 AM
    Revelle

Revelle Toyotameup

Member:
    First Name:
    Gina
    Riverside, ANZA
    Vehicle:
    Converted Headlights to LED. Installed BLUETOOTH stereo. Bug deflector New used Engine, and then some
    Yes. I heard that they are not technically called Struts so I was trying to be politically correct
    But thats what I would call them Struts.
    Lol

8. Oct 24, 2016 at 10:16 AM
    VangaSTL

VangaSTL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport 4x4
    I had no experience at all with suspension. If I could do it, anyone can. And from what I understand the 1st Gen is much easier than the 3rd gen. Just use lots of PB blaster to help any locked hardware.

9. Oct 24, 2016 at 11:14 AM
    Revelle

Revelle Toyotameup

Member:
    First Name:
    Gina
    Riverside, ANZA
    Vehicle:
    True to that. I didn't know or even thought I would need that Blaster. I have already cut into bolt so will have to finish that Bolt off when I try to install them again. I have all kinds of Welding material you would think I would have some blast on the shelf somewhere, but nope.
    I was able to put Shocks on rear. That was difficult too cause I got a 'step-up' shocks & got mono Gas-a shock. So the head with bushing was smaller then original shocks.
    The front Struts I got are just replacements so shouldnt be any surprised. Now if only my Truck would corporate and give up its bolts we would be done.

10. Jul 9, 2017 at 6:17 PM
    Revelle

Revelle Toyotameup

Member:
    First Name:
    Gina
    Riverside, ANZA
    Vehicle:
    Anyone help where oil cooler location is

Products Discussed in

To Top