1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Not another tire question... yea it is!

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by NashvilleTaco, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Aug 3, 2014 at 6:38 AM
    NashvilleTaco

NashvilleTaco [OP] Member

Member:
    Hi all,

I will be picking up my Taco after some paperwork issues and things go through. It has the TRD offroad package and though I like the look of the BFG Rugged Trails, I also know they have a reputation for poor traction in snow/ice/slick roads.

Has anyone had any luck negotiating for an upgrade to say, BFG AT KO's from the dealership as PART of the sales price of the car? I did not do a lot of negotiating b/c I use USAA car buying service, but it couldn't hurt to ask. Otherwise, I will have to wait until the RT's wear out until buying new tires.

Thanks! Great forum.

truck.jpg

2. Aug 3, 2014 at 5:25 PM
    AndyTaco

AndyTaco ACLBFTMW

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Waco, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 ACLB V6
    "Raptor Style" grill mod, aftermarket wheels, 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Authorities, TRD Shoulder pads on seat belts, no mud flaps, AVS Hoodflector bug shield *removed*, Dee Zee Ultrablack Bull Bar w/ license plate mount, dipped my fuel door for no reason, N-Fab Spare tire mount w/ full size matching spare, dipped eyelids onto my headlights for no reason, dipped my hood for no reason
    Hey man,
    I'd definitely try negotiating, you never know what could happen. Just make sure you come up with a solid reason for the switch - sounds like you do though. Traction problems aren't fun. If not, you can always try these: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodyear-Wrangler-Authority-Tire-LT265-70R17/11983163

They're pretty cheap, aggressive looking tires. Although they are exclusively from walmart, I have them on my Taco and they're great. This review swears by them: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/wheels-tires/233752-goodyear-wrangler-authority-rangers-review.html

However, if you really want the KO's, and the dealership won't budge, waiting isn't too horrible.

Hope this helped!

3. Aug 3, 2014 at 5:40 PM
    Navar

Navar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Corona CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Washed it, Icon suspension, Icon UCA
    Its best to negotiate before you sign a deal.

4. Aug 3, 2014 at 6:54 PM
    karmatp

karmatp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 4x4 4Runner
    Nice work on the TRD Off Road 4x4, wonderful truck.

As far as the tires, just take them off within a couple of weeks and you will get good money for them. I sold mine for $400 within a week on CL and went out and purchased some Cooper ATP's which are pretty sweet. Cost me a couple of hundred more with the warranty and certs.

I also ended up buying new rims within a couple of weeks of new tires but that is a different story. I have had my truck for 2 months and I am finally satisfied after many little mods.

[​IMG]

5. Aug 3, 2014 at 8:46 PM
    NashvilleTaco

NashvilleTaco [OP] Member

Member:
    Great advice. I will do my best to negotiate for some BFG ATs and if not may try to sell the rugged trails on craigs list. Some of this comes from the fact that after it comes home, the boss in the house resists extra expenses for a while and its best to have it rolled into the initial expense.

6. Aug 3, 2014 at 8:52 PM
    AndyTaco

AndyTaco ACLBFTMW

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Waco, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 ACLB V6
    "Raptor Style" grill mod, aftermarket wheels, 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Authorities, TRD Shoulder pads on seat belts, no mud flaps, AVS Hoodflector bug shield *removed*, Dee Zee Ultrablack Bull Bar w/ license plate mount, dipped my fuel door for no reason, N-Fab Spare tire mount w/ full size matching spare, dipped eyelids onto my headlights for no reason, dipped my hood for no reason
    Best of luck!

7. Aug 4, 2014 at 6:39 AM
    karmatp

karmatp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 4x4 4Runner

Yea, I get it. My wife sounds just like yours but I explained it like this. If I get a nail in one of the Rugged Trails, I am sol. I will have no warranty or replacement. Then I will only have 3 tires to sell because when I replace the OEM tires, I will not put BFG's back on the truck. Also, the Coppers had a rebate and they will last 30,000 miles longer. Now, if something happens to my tire, I just drive into Discount Tire and get a new tire.

You see, in the end, we saved money buying new tires right away. That made perfect sense to me and my wife understood also.

8. Aug 4, 2014 at 6:41 AM
    TacoBurrito07

TacoBurrito07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    07 SWB Dbl cab TRD Sport 4x4

Products Discussed in

To Top