1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Not going to renew my license

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Larry, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Jul 12, 2012 at 4:21 PM
    Larry

Larry [OP] CARL

Member:
    CARL
    Thanks all...I really appreciate the kind words.

not going to happen
    correct
    I did just that awhile back...I got tied up in the real estate business and put building on the shelf for afew years...

I reactivated it a couple years ago for a couple reasons. Main one being I sold a home I built and was living in, and the new buyer wanted an addition...and would have no part of anyone else do the work...yes, I'm a perfectionist...the new buyer also wanted everything "on the books", meaning permitting and engineering...of course this required my state license)

Damn, reactivating the license was harder than original licensure, and more expensive.

But this time I'm older...and done.

If...and that is a huge "if", I was to build another for someone...They will have to pull permits...pay all the bills...run it all on their books...and pay me a fee. But I seriously do not see that happening, I'm more than content to build bird houses and bookshelves.

Not to say that I won't get bored and take a job at Home Depot. :D

2. Jul 12, 2012 at 4:25 PM
    Larry

Larry [OP] CARL

Member:
    CARL
    Thanks Jim and I agree...let the younger guys have it.

And yes, I can sell the occasional bookcase...or install some crown moulding...or built-ins...but as far as the "hustle and hassle"...I'm spent.

The building business takes it all out of ya...and sooner or later it catches up to ya, physically & mentally.

3. Jul 12, 2012 at 4:27 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    That is quite a nice setup you have going there Larry, good luck to you man.

4. Jul 12, 2012 at 4:36 PM
    lowcountrytj

lowcountrytj Third Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phillip
    Probably at Work
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB TRD SPORT "BLACKOUT"
    Congratulations ...
    I hope Im able to make this decision one day. Ive always said my job was a means to an end...you made it lol!
    Enjoy

5. Jul 12, 2012 at 4:37 PM
    Larry

Larry [OP] CARL

Member:
    CARL
    Thank you. I designed the home and the other buildings. I also designed the site layout. I've had many compliments from those who have worked on the project or visited the site.

Even a pastor friend of ours, who used to preach at a church we attended, who now is a youth pastor at a church in Georgia. He is an awesome young man with a real nice wife and little boy (and a baby on the way). He even blessed out home while there. I know may of you are not believers, but it was a special thing for us.
    It's exciting the 1st few times (I've built a dozen for myself and probably over a hundred total)...and can not say I'm excited to move in...but the grind and amount of work is exhausting.

On this particular project, land aquisition...planning...permitting...engineering...archectual work...etc, took a year and a half. Starting in April 2010. Then...I could go to work. The actual construction began in October 2011, with good fortune and health...we will move in the main house this September or October.

6. Jul 12, 2012 at 4:40 PM
    Larry

Larry [OP] CARL

Member:
    CARL
    Thank you.

We love the location, I did have some good fortune acquiring the property. I can walk to the bay and the beach is a ten minute drive away. We have had homes where we could walk to the beach (even with water view), but living with all those tourists is no fun at all.

7. Jul 12, 2012 at 4:42 PM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    Congratulations Larry! Nice place and it sounds like you deserve the break. I am very jealous of that workshop!

8. Jul 12, 2012 at 4:47 PM
    Larry

Larry [OP] CARL

Member:
    CARL
    BTW

please don't anyone get the wrong impression that I'm some old rich guy who is bragging about his assets.

I'm just a hard working carpenter w/ a HS education and a belly full of ambitions.

The good news for you younger folks is...if you work hard and stay ethical and honest...in 30-40 years, you can have it as well.

Truth is, by the time I'm done with this construction...I may need that job at Home Depot. :laugh:

9. Jul 12, 2012 at 4:50 PM
    Larry

Larry [OP] CARL

Member:
    CARL
    I started out with a 24' x24' shop...then made it 26x36...

and glad as heck I did. I almost made it 30x40, but driveway considerations and property line setbacks kinda put the squeeze on that. Plus, I really did not want the shop to "overpower" the site.

however, if you ever build a shop...build as big as you can, and then it still won't be large enough.

10. Jul 12, 2012 at 5:04 PM
    Larry

Larry [OP] CARL

Member:
    CARL
    Shop
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Guest cottage
    [​IMG]

Another view of cottage and "Scott" from the marble company who is doing our tubs and shower (he rocks and is a real craftsman)
    [​IMG]

11. Jul 12, 2012 at 5:06 PM
    Larry

Larry [OP] CARL

Member:
    CARL
    I can post more pics as we progress if you all would like.

I'm currently doing interior finishes in the main house, we used reclaimed heart pine floors throughout...and I mean throughout, including kitchen and baths. It looks awesome.

12. Jul 12, 2012 at 5:07 PM
    TNDrew

TNDrew Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    '12 Reg Cab 4x4 Silver
    WeatherTech DigitalFit Liners, Bench Seat Angle Fixed, Fog Lights (Nokya 2500k HyperYellow bulbs), aFe ProDry drop in, DeeZee bed mat, UWS black low pro tool box, Marathon Seat Covers (ordered should arrive mid-May). iSimple iPod adapter, Blacked out badges, SockMonkey WhiteTail Toyota Horns decal, LED Dome and License Plate Lights (LEDSolutions), Black Headlight Mod,
    Awesome place you've got going there man! I built houses in college with a very small company and had a blast doing it. I would have loved to make it career, just couldn't count on the job being there in this economy. Congrats on dropping the anchor!

13. Jul 12, 2012 at 5:13 PM
    newertoy

newertoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
    2" lift AAL and Bilstiens-front-rear,front diff drop. main drive drop
    CONGRATS!!!!!!!!! do NOT work too much--GO FISHING--Take it easy. At least for a while.

14. Jul 12, 2012 at 5:35 PM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC

This. I like watching works in progress. Sucks they're building the last house in our little neighborhood here...been watching them for the last few months and the last one left is right across the street.

:D

15. Jul 12, 2012 at 6:11 PM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    40 years of banging nails was all I could do, And yes it did catch up. To me it was a grind of the same old shit day in and day out. Looking back it was good to have a trade that always put a roof over my head and chow in the gut. Never slept under a bridge or stood in a food stamp line. Jim

Can I ask what is a navy boy doing on a AF base??? Jim

16. Jul 12, 2012 at 6:14 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    and we lose another guy that can actually hand frame a roof reading rafter tables of a framing square and doing long division and multiplication on a block of wood to work out the rafter lengths

Sad day for the trade

17. Jul 12, 2012 at 6:15 PM
    Larry

Larry [OP] CARL

Member:
    CARL
    Indeed. I told the wife, at the end of this month we should be in a position where we can take a 3 or 4 day weekend, even if we just stay at home and don't visit the job for a few days...recharge batteries.

I'd love a new boat...I used to fish quite a bit. My last boat was a Maverick skiff, sold it for the cash. I'd like a Hewes skiff...probably the Redfisher 16. I enjoy the shallow water salt water fishing, redfish and trout and jacks. Simple fun.

btw, my wife has been a real trooper on this project. In addition to caring for her 84 y/o mother, she has really pulled her weight on the new place.

I fell off a ladder in May, broke my left ankle and badly sprained the right. SUCKS. And she has been there to help me out.

Ankles are healing, but after 9 weeks...I'm still experiencing some problems. However, I am soldiering on!

18. Jul 12, 2012 at 6:28 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    Sounds to me like you got a plan. Good for you! some people never figure out how to shift into a new routine and enjoy health while it lasts. I hope everything goes smoothly for you both.:thumbsup:

19. Jul 12, 2012 at 6:34 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    Congratulations Larry and your ideas are spot on target.

Have extensively remodeled 2 homes and am on number 3 now. When this one is finished, no more for me either.

I do 99.9% of the work myself and with my helper, we can build almost anything.

20. Jul 12, 2012 at 7:50 PM
    Larry

Larry [OP] CARL

Member:
    CARL
    Although it's been a while since I cut in a roof...I used to be pretty good at it, even though I'm a trim and cabinet man by trade. Hip and valley is the most fun, I have even done a few turrets.

Nowadays, everything is engineered truss.

The man who taught me how to use a framing square to cut a roof was brilliant and the best stick framer I ever worked with. He was a master at it, admittedly beyond my level...but, while I grasped the concept of his craft, he could not hang a door to save his ass. I used to rib him about it...then he's cut a roof on the ground, hip cuts and bird mouths and jacks, etc...dozens and dozens of 2x6's and 2x8's etc, and the crew would put it together, and it fit like cabinet work. The man was amazing.

the sad part is not me leaving...it's that the young guys are not encouraged (and actually discouraged) to get into the trades.

The Hispanic men are taking over...and many of them are damn good. I had a few Honduran men on the framing crew, and they were very good. I really enjoyed working with them.

Products Discussed in

To Top