1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Not Yota related, need recommendations for appliances in the NW

Discussion in 'North West' started by gerriputo, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Oct 13, 2016 at 11:22 PM
    gerriputo

gerriputo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sorry guys, I know this is a Tacoma forum. But I know people on here have a tap into things other than trucks and I would really appreciate some help. My wife and I (With help), are remodeling our kitchen.

We are looking for a decent place to deal with for appliances. Looking to buy 4; fridge, range, dishwasher, and microwave/convection. I would prefer Samsung, but my wife is open to Kitchen Aide and Fridgidaire. What I am hoping from this post is some honest feedback about experiences both with the seller and equipment, as well as brand vs brand. My wife has waited a long tine for this kitchen and I want to make sure it's done right.

I steer a lot of my product choices based on reviews I see on trusted sites like this, so if you have a free moment please help us out. As a bonus we have a wicked cool place with a man cave, pool, spa, and pong table so maybe we can return the favor with an epic tacoma world/kitchen opening party!

The weather is nasty out there friends. Stay safe. I will come help if anyone needs.

2. Oct 13, 2016 at 11:55 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    I bought all Samsung with my full kitchen remodel 6 years ago. The brand new $1200 dishwasher has broken 5 times. FIVE TIMES in 6 years. I repaired each myself. PITA. The latest had the door counter springs snap and the 'stainless' door was rusting. I was done. I was not going to repair it again and swapped it for a Kitchenaid, as it was one of the few that still have an integrated disposal and don't use manual food traps. Sadly I actually like the Samsung dishwasher better but it was just so unbelievably unreliable. When looking for replacement parts online, turns out their dishwashers rate as some of the worst for reliability (6 years ago). Guy I sold it to, was actually going to use it as a parts unit for his Samsung that was constantly breaking.

All my other Samsung appliances have been great, the fridge utilizes dual compressors and has a rapid "beer cool mode" feature. Sold.

And storm isn't bad yet. We'll see what Saturday has to offer.

3. Oct 14, 2016 at 12:36 PM
    gerriputo

Member:
    The reviews on Samsung dishwashers seem to be about what you experienced. That's really disappointing. My friend tells me that the Bosch dishwashers are solid, I'll have to look into the reviews on the other pieces.

What don't you like about the Kitchenaid?

4. Oct 14, 2016 at 12:40 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
  5. Oct 14, 2016 at 4:20 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Bosch makes good stuff. Though most their dishwashers use manual food traps as it is more efficient giving them a better energy rating, like many other manufactures are doing. Meaning if you don't pre-wash all your dishes, there is a food trap (like a sink without a garbage disposal) that you are supposed to take out and clean between runs. I shouldn't have to do that on a machine designed to clean dishes IMO. The Kitchenaid (not all models) has a self cleaning trap that feeds into an integrated disposal. Never have to deal with it, as it should be.

The Kitchenaid (Architech II model) is nice and very quite, and does a good job. What I don't compared to the Samsung is:
    • The Samsung had 2 digital displays, giving wash time estimates based on options selected before stating the cycle and wash time remaining during operation. Kitchenaid has none of this, despite having a digital display.
    • The layout inside isn't as efficient as the Samsung, so it seems to have lower usable capacity.
    • The silverware tray is 3 separate individual trays, instead of 1, not as user friendly to put them away.
    • The delay feature on the Samsung pre-soaked the dishes, and then hit them again periodically till it was run time. Kitchenaid does not start till run time, and is only able to delay by 2/4/8 hours, where the Samsung could do increments of 1 up to 12.
    • Samsung was also more user friendly, hit the options you want and close the door, vs the Kitchenaid must be done in order and hit start at end or it has a beeping fit.
    • The Samsungs digital display also gave error codes, which turned out to be unfortunately very useful.
    Kitchenaid does have electric heated dry though, and a Pro-Scrub feature for dishes used in baking.

Most importantly the Kitchenaid Architect II had consistently very high reviews across the board numbering in the 1000s and was rated the number 1 most reliable dishwasher by Consumer Reports. Sold.

I just debagged the front of the dishwasher so it looks to match all the other Samsung appliances. And the display is similar blue to the blue LED displays on the Samsung fridge and oven, so it doesn't seem out of place.

6. Oct 14, 2016 at 4:24 PM
    Evenflow

Evenflow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    If you have Pacific Sales up there check them out. They have been remodeling their stores and selling displays at deep discounts. Really good appliance specialty store even if they don't have any clearance stuff.

7. Oct 14, 2016 at 4:49 PM
    gerriputo

Member:
    Wow, that is some good solid information right there. Thank you! We are going to do some looking around tomorrow morning before the weather gets bad. I was set on Samsung because I love our current fridge, but I'm starting to think Kitchenaide might be a good way to go also.

crashnburn80[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Oct 14, 2016 at 4:51 PM
    gerriputo

Member:
    I did a search and it seems that the ones up here are in the Best Buy stores. Probably not remodeling those?

9. Oct 14, 2016 at 5:28 PM
    Evenflow

Evenflow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    Those ones are as well, they are doing some sort of big inventory change over

10. Oct 15, 2016 at 9:06 AM
    omega supreme

omega supreme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD sport,lb
    None
    Just about all appliances are made by one company now, just rebranded. And with all the electronics they don't last very long. I did my research in person then bought through https://www.appliancesconnection.com. good luck.

Products Discussed in

To Top