1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Nothing worse than..

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DannyH77, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Dec 18, 2011 at 7:01 PM
    GoDeacsWFU23

GoDeacsWFU23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Clemmons, NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma PreRunner TRD Sport
    You have come to the wrong website if you only have $80.00 a month at your disposal. Just take a bit of advise, DO NOT GET A CREDIT CARD TO FUND YOUR MODS (I did this with a Civic in high school and ran up a $12,000.00 bill)!!!!! Save up and pay for everything with cash so you do not have to worry about paying it off 6 years later. If I were you I would save a few months and put some 5100's all the way around with an AAL and call it a day until you can get a good part time job. When I was in school I worked as a waiter and made really good money working 3-4 nights a week and lunch on Sundays.

2. Dec 18, 2011 at 7:02 PM
    DannyH77

DannyH77 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner
    Dude i can definitely respect that man. Not to many good people like you.

3. Dec 18, 2011 at 7:03 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Then do that. If I were to do it again I would have made it so that I could work as little as possible going through HS and college. Sure, I have a pretty nice truck in my opinion, but I have missed out on a lot of the college experience. You have your whole life ahead of you man. Take a page out of my book and don't grow up too fast. The money will come. Not tomorrow, but it will come. Make good choices and stay out of trouble, but have some fun while you are still young.

4. Dec 18, 2011 at 7:03 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Don't let the truck/mods consume you. Stick with your school and baseball, enjoy your youth. You'll make money eventually. Just gotta be patient.

5. Dec 18, 2011 at 7:05 PM
    DannyH77

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner
    yeah im definitely not gonna use a credit card. Im saving up everything i get !

6. Dec 18, 2011 at 7:07 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    My head is exploding right about now.

7. Dec 18, 2011 at 7:07 PM
    tacokid09

tacokid09 it's about the off-road miles

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian aka B-Lang
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra
    this guy right here is someone id listen to.
    along along with you as well

and tacodawg,

please please please please pleaseeeeeee enjoy high school. i tried my best to be involved with everything so i didnt have any regrets. i dont have hardly any. Like they said above, the money will come eventually. I dont plan on have my truck done for another 4 or 5 years. :cool: i have big plans for it which will cost a lot of money :(

edit: if you dont get a credit card, you can always get a debit card. :p thats what i have and i try not to use it. it has all my money so i pretty much save it. haha

8. Dec 18, 2011 at 7:07 PM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    It is? I think Benadryl might help that

9. Dec 18, 2011 at 7:08 PM
    DannyH77

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner
    thanks for the advice guys :)

10. Dec 18, 2011 at 7:11 PM
    jackhart

jackhart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 DCLB
    i have mixed feelings about this. when i was 16, i got straight A's, played two varsity sports, and had a part time job that included weekends. i also worked all summer long starting at age 14, as a caddy at the local golf course. i made a couple hundred bucks a week over the summer and i was damn proud of the money i earned from hard work. i had to cut the grass at my house and did alot of other chores for which i got nothing more than a pat on the back from my parents, never mind a sweet toyota pickup. my first vehicle in hs was a 14 year old chevy that i paid for myself. basically i broke my ass, but working as a teenager truly taught me the value of a dollar and i would never trade that experience.

nothing against you personally OP, you sound like a good kid, and i'm sure you are appreciative for what you have, but i have no intention of buying my kids a vehicle like that. and my kids are going to have a job at 16 as well, of that i am certain. just from my own personal observation, the kids who were given everything in life never had much care for taking care of anything, nor were very driven to succeed.

if you want to mod your truck, go get a job and save your pennies. you will feel alot better about having made the money yourself, i promise you. good luck.

11. Dec 18, 2011 at 7:16 PM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    ^^^ By the sounds of it, this kid has a pretty good head on his shoulders. I don't think that he's looking for a handout. He sounds pretty grateful for what he has just received.

12. Dec 18, 2011 at 7:18 PM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Off Road DCSB
    Stock. Purchased 2/17/19. Cement!
    Never fear. Sounds like you've got folks that will take care of you. My dad gave me a really cool truck as my first vehicle while I was in High School. I remember like it was yesterday. After that, my dad and I shared many moments together building my truck. Of course I included him in all that I wanted to do and asked for his input. I know the phrase gets old but patience my friend. You'll get everything you've ever wanted on your truck that you'll get bored quickly with it. One thing at a time. Hell... I don't even have a nav in mine yet and its 6 years old. Is it too late to drop another 1K on audio? You'll be fine brother. Focus on the here and now... school is that's what's on your plate now. Good luck. Beautiful truck! :D

13. Dec 18, 2011 at 7:21 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod

Didn't mean to piss you off Sir. And at 22 years of age you do hold some street creds here, as does the OP who just got a second gen from his parents at 16 years of age because he got good grades. I remember when I got good grades, hell my parents let me eat. But back then we had it "rough"

14. Dec 18, 2011 at 7:30 PM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    You didn't piss me off, I'm good. I just don't really like it when people slam on the younger guys who come in with shiny new trucks. It's all about how your parents want to raise you and the resources they have available to them to do so with. I mean, my parents bought me an 03 Taco back when I was in HS and I loved that truck to death. When I turned 18 though they turned me loose on paying for it and I couldn't support it, so I had to get rid of it. I mean, I have since bought myself another truck as you can see, but valuing what is mine and taking nothing for granted are values I hold now whether I would have been given that truck in High School or not. I'm just going to say this... I am building my life around myself and my future family. If I have the resources to do so, yeah my kids will drive around pretty nice rigs for kids. If they are brats then things may change, but if they are appreciative and willing to work in school/sports to "Earn" their toys I am okay with that.

15. Dec 18, 2011 at 7:35 PM
    easyeatlanta

easyeatlanta Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    14 DC Trd Off Road
    get a job and put it all towards the truck
    i started out stock a year ago

16. Dec 18, 2011 at 7:36 PM
    DannyH77

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner
    Damn that's your truck ? Niceeeee :)

17. Dec 18, 2011 at 7:36 PM
    TRD6Speed

TRD6Speed senior member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Hartford, CT
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    885x with 5100s and top plate spacer for full 3", RCD extended 5100s in rear, dakars, flip kit, LR UCAs, tint, shorty antenna, in channel rain guards,BHLM, blacked out emblem, OEM side steps, weathertechs, debadged, rear diff breather
    fuckin amen..............plus remember the more shit you do to your truck the more can go wrong which just costs more. You are so young......long life ahead of ya. BTW......im 29 and cant afford to do some of the shit these guys are doing......I admire but dont want to see the costs of some of these guys rigs. If I had lots of cash sure.......i dont lol;)

18. Dec 18, 2011 at 7:40 PM
    easyeatlanta

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    14 DC Trd Off Road
    thanks man yeah i saved up till i was 16 and my used most of my money on my truck

19. Dec 18, 2011 at 7:41 PM
    oneBIGroom

oneBIGroom SSS

Member:
    First Name:
    SSS
    SSS
    Vehicle:
    SSS
    SSS
    Im only 16 too but i know one thing that helps... stay single.

20. Dec 18, 2011 at 7:42 PM
    easyeatlanta

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    14 DC Trd Off Road
    AMEN

Products Discussed in

To Top